1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 rush 12 or Direct Action dragon egg??

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tom Tabal, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

Also does anyone mind letting me know how to quote another member including there name and up arrow to post? Mine just includes the quote.. Is there a sticky somewhere with this information?

2. Shawn_G

Shawn_G Loaded Pockets

I find the Dragon Egg to be much more comfortable for me and I like the side bottle holders and additional straps on the bottom of the pack. I think this one will be with me for some time. I do like the R12 quite a bit, but I'll likely let it, and my Moab 10, go. The larger R24 may be calling my name though :D.

Tom Tabal likes this.
  3. Thomas Chagrin

Thomas Chagrin Loaded Pockets

One of the single most helpful posts I have ever seen. Thank you for this information. I have a Dust on the way. I'm looking for something close to Moab 10 in a two-strap backpack but it really needs built-in water bottle holders that aren't always in the way and some padding for laptop. The Dust seems perfect. I have an R12 as my shotgun bag and I don't think I'd want to carry one for EDC. I'm also going to try a Trident 20 but I'm really looking forward to the Dust. Something about the bottle holders and the laser Molle! Anyway, you were a giant help. Thank you!!!

Tom Tabal and mikshir like this.
  4. mikshir

mikshir Loaded Pockets

Glad to be of service! I've been curious about the Trident 20 myself since it came out but never pulled the trigger; I guess I kept thinking of it as perfect for the nice DSLR kit that I don't have so didn't feel any urgency and there's no waterbottle place on it. Look forward to your thoughts relative to the Dust or R12 when you go that route. I'll finally add that if the R12 had the somewhat hidden side pockets that the R24 has I'd have had a tougher time deciding between the two; but it certainly is fun albeit costly to try out a new bag.
    A couple of afterthoughts now that I've used both for a bit: I'm boggled that the pockets on the Dragon Egg are not quite as tall as the one on the Dust despite it being the bigger bag (bottles seem more secure on the Dust). I wish the Dust didn't have the clear plastic sleeve in the admin area and had lashing points underneath. I also wish both had a more generous velcro panel. Yet so far I like both quite a bit, but do still wish they were a full a clamshell design for the main compartment.

Last edited by mikshir, Sep 9, 2015
    Thomas Chagrin likes this.
  5. Thomas Chagrin

Thanks for the follow up comments. I prefer full clamshell too, but at least the Dust has that on the front panel. I'm sure that will be the one I'm in the most anyway. I'll be sure to give my thoughts on all the bags - might not make a ton of sense but I'll probably post on here or a whole new thread about "R12 vs Trident 20 vs Dust". I ended up getting a Vertx Gamut recently but it's proving to be odd to me. It's very tall and I'm not sure that I'm warming up to it. It was supposed to serve a slightly different purpose though - a bit larger for travel with a laptop and the posibility for CCW. It's super awesome in a lot of ways, but may just not go along with how I do things. You're right, this is fun but VERY costly....

mikshir likes this.
  6. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I have the dust and really like it.
    Few things I'd change or like to see different:
    The outer most smallest pocket, wish it would have opened from the top instead of the side.
    The inside clear "map" pocket, this one needs the zipper moved to the top. You have to open the pocket all the way to access this pocket.
    Drop the elastic straps inside the admin pocket and place either more pen slots or another slot pocket.
    Inside the bag, 2 mesh zip pockets instead of one large one.

Thats just a wish list and in no way takes from the bag at all. If anyone is looking at a small pack for edc use, try one of these I think you will like it. And again, the bottle pockets are the best idea ever!

mikshir, Thomas Chagrin and Myrddraal like this.
  7. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

OOOOOOOHHHH! I've been out of it too long! I got catching up to do! Gotta find what this Dust is though... Never mind, found it. Drooling.

8. Thomas Chagrin

My Dust is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!!!! And looks like my Trident 20 on Saturday. Oh boy...

9. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Oct 6, 2016
  10. Shawn_G

Shawn_G Loaded Pockets

I'll be all over the Dust if they switch the map pocket out for a zippered mesh pocket.

11. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Well thanks a lot guys. Been very happy with my TNF Recon for almost two years and now all I can think about is how to buy a Dragon Egg without my wife giving me "the look" (and no that is not the "look of love"). Oh and what color to choose?!?!?! Been with basic black with the Recon but strongly considering going to Olive. But....even though I am not sure I want to carry a camo bag the PL Woodland is sharp.

SEE WHAT YOU HAVE STARTED! UH! :frantic:

12. Thomas Chagrin

Welllllll I just got my Dust today and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for (an alternative to my smallish sling bag). I can see wanting a Dragon Egg if I wanted a Rush 12-sized bag. I expect full confusion once I get my Trident 20.... :-/

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  13. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Are you getting the Trident 20 soon? Please give me some details about your impressions compared to the Dust. After only this past week learning about the Direct Action bags that's on my list right now. I like the Rush 12, the Trident 20, and the Dust.

We decided to have babies a little late. Anyway, I caught her spying over my shoulder the other night looking at the Trident 20 and she admonished me for wanting to spend that much money on a bag. (Never mind that we can afford it.) I quickly replied, "No, no, I'm thinking of making it my diaper bag. Look at the shelving where I could have a diaper compartment and baby clothescompartment." She wants to buy it for me now, lol.

14. Thomas Chagrin

I should have it Saturday morning! I'll surely do a review/comparo. Probably in a new thread since I feel like we have totally hijacked this one.

Good job on selling the bag as a diaper/baby bag!

Give me some time and I'll write up my thoughts on all the bags and try to explain what I'm trying to accomplish and where I'm coming from. Feel free to ask me questions at any time too.

15. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

There is always the wife standing in between the bag but most here are pretty clever in making effective alibis! Now my question, which one has the laptop zippered back compartment again?, dust or egg?

16. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

That would be the dragon egg, the dust has a padded slot pocket inside the main section.

17. ArkansasFan30

What I don't like about the Dragon Egg are those loopy attachments on the sides.

On the Dust, I could live without the clear map pocket. It seems like it would get scuffed up over time.

18. beeba

beeba Empty Pockets

ugh, you guys don't make it easy for me. I was all settled on the RUSH 12, but then over the past 24 hours or so I've been agonizing over this Dust now too.

It sounds like the Combat Vent system is like the one on my Mountain Hardwear Agama (~2011); a vertical air channel between two pads, down the spine, which lets some cooling air reach my back. I could definitely appreciate it when I took the Agama around Orlando theme parks last summer. But I am weighing that and the significant price premium of the Direct Action gear vs the relatively affordable 5.11 R12. I like 5.11 in general, I have a bunch of pants from them, so I'll probably stick with the known quantity, and the full clamshell is probably the tipping point that pushes me over to it. That and as I said, the $50 savings; though in the end it's better than having to buy yet another backpack.

19. ArkansasFan30

I feel your pain. I've always liked the Rush backpacks. I'd love to buy the Rush 12, but I don't/won't buy multiple bags. I have a 2007 era North Face Hot Shot in all black that's a pretty good bag, a Camelbak MULE, and a Maxpedition Falcon II. I want something for better EDC. The Rush 12 is nice. I've never been much for attaching a lot of stuff the a bag's MOLLE, but there are a few ideas I have for the Rush 12 I'd like to see come to fruition. The main selling point for the Direct Action bags are the water bottle holders. The other bag I'm looking at is the Vanquest Trident 20 which also lacks bottle access.

20. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

For the Direct Action packs the lack of full clamshell opening is one of the hindrance, while on the Rush12 you will have the option of attaching a water bottle holder. For urban use specially on a commute, a water bottle sticking out is not a very ideal situation.