1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 rush 12 or Direct Action dragon egg??

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tom Tabal, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Jul 29, 2021
    #1 Tom Tabal, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

unfortunately i can't speak about the dragon egg as i don't have one and have never seen one in person. but i do use the rush 12 as my edc bag, and i absolutely love it. i like the organisation of the front admin area and the clam-shell-opening design of the main compartment.

the padding on the straps and the back area are ample and very comfortable. they make carrying it for extended periods very easy to do.

the pals webbing makes it easy to attach smaller pouches/pockets to the exterior. i use it to hold a single and a double sheath (those hold my large multitool, pepper spray, and flashlight).

if i had a complaint about it, i think the only one would be that it doesn't have a dedicated bottle holder. if it had one of those on one of the sides, this bag would be close to absolute perfection for me. but, you could easily attach one using the aforementioned pals webbing (which i'm thinking of doing, just haven't made up my mind 100%).

front: color - double tap. this is an older pic, i now have 4 grimlocks attached to it; 2 on the upper section and 2 on the lower section. the caribiner on the right is no longer on this bag, it was moved to my b.o.b. the item that is dangling from the small upper compartment is a thermometer/compass combo zipper pull. that compartment holds my epipen, small pack of wet ones wipes, and travel size pack of tissues.
    [​IMG]

rear: i have my blood-type keyper here for an easy place to hang my keys or whatever else i need to hang there. i don't utilize the hydration bladder on this pack.
    [​IMG]

side (single sheath) this sheath holds my flashlight (fenix pd32)
    [​IMG]

side (double sheath): this sheath holds my pepper spray and large multitool (lm st300)
    [​IMG]

interior (admin): in here is my maxped 4" x 6" pocket notebook cover (pics http://edcforums.com/threads/pocket-notebooks-lets-see-em.109332/page-25#post-2374529), hand sanitizer pen, zebra f-402, buck knives 110 folding hunter, lm wingman, inova microlight. not pictured is an extra set of all of my keys. it's on the lanyard on the left and it's tucked into the zippered pocket at the top of this section. also in that pocket are 2 koozies, one for a bottle and one for a can.....always be prepared ;)!
    [​IMG]

interior (main): this section holds my pfak (bottom of the stack in the plano box), personal hygiene compartment (red), tools compartment (black), food/snacks compartment (green). my small umbrella is still in there from the other day. i put it in there if rain is forecast and i forgot to take it out. it usually rides in the driver's door pocket in my truck. i want the totes mini umbrella to keep in there instead. as you can see i have room to add anything i might need to keep in there; which is usually my helly hansen men's voss jacket for heavier rain or gloves and fleece beanie for cold weather.
    [​IMG]

feel free to ask any questions about the bag or any of its contents.

3. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

Loaded Pocketz has a review of the Dragon Egg

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  4. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Sweet setup sk33tr...

Eagle creek quarter packing cubes?

:D

sk33tr likes this.
  5. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

yes, indeed.

i got the idea from a youtuber and love the organization they offer. and the color coding makes it easy to tell which one is which (although i do have tags on the zipper pulls that help to identify each one as well; another idea from the same youtuber).

i have a blue one in my b.o.b. that holds my "hydration" items (water filtration system, potable water tablets, etc.)

6. Shawn_G

Shawn_G Loaded Pockets

I have a Rush 12 in double tap currently and a Dragon Egg in storm grey due for delivery tomorrow. I'll post some thoughts when I have enough time to compare the two. Right now I'm thinking that the "winner" will stay and the 2nd place finisher will go.

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

I will bet the Dragon Egg will return!:)

8. Shawn_G

Shawn_G Loaded Pockets

Not sure yet tigz, but I unboxed the dragon egg a while ago and am very impressed. Comparison still to come...

9. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i say carry each of them a week with your normal load. that should give you a good amount of time to decide which one is more to your liking.

10. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I have the dust pack. These bags are on par and built as well as 5.11, max, vanquest, any of the major over seas makers.

The side pockets water bottle holders are simply F'ing genius! Why kifaru, MR, anyone is not doing this is beyond me.

Highly recommend Direct Action

11. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Just my personal thoughts. The Rush12 have that urban appeal, more boxy in appearance and well tailored, as in a man wearing a suit!

Tom Tabal likes this.
  12. Shawn_G

Shawn_G Loaded Pockets

sk33tr - Where can I find the single and double side pouches that you are using on your R12?

13. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

they're from maxped; got them on amazon.

they have built-in molle attachments so no need to buy extra items to attach them to your PALS webbing.

14. mikshir

mikshir Loaded Pockets

I've been a 5.11 user for several years now (still own several varieties even after selling some) and a week ago I acquired both the Dust and Dragon Egg. It was an indulgence, I was intensely curious, and changed jobs so thought I'd treat myself but I wasn't sure about sizing so got both thinking I'd return one. I've been testing them out daily since getting them. The Dust fits my basic daily needs quite fine (I'd been using a modified MOAB10 for my work carry) but the larger Dragon Egg capacity comes in handy and I expect will be more appealing to most.

My impressions relative to the 5.11 bags: The DA sizes seem to fall between but close to the smaller 5.11 Rush bags. e.g. capacity-wise Moab10 <~ Dust << R12 <~ Dragon Egg << R24. The Ghost I understand is smaller than the R24 as well. As such they might serve as a complement though probably overkill. Generally so far I find the Rush bags more versatile all around with their design (I prefer full clamshell opening bags), organization, fit, and copious webbing, but for my needs they do require more accessorizing. The Dust and Dragon Egg on the other hand are lighter, sleeker, and with their built-ins like the (well conceived) collapsed bottle side-pouches, internal padded laptop area, and mostly sufficient organization they were very easy to use as-is out of the box, while still allowing for some versatility. The laser-cut MOLLE certainly is an interesting feature and it gives some placement flexibility of attachments as well as different aesthetic.

My current opinion (influenced by my own use case of course): Nothing touches my R24. I prefer the Dragon Egg to the R12. The Dust and standard MOAB10 are not really comparable as the latter is a sling but as a smaller backpack I find the Dust worthy. An R12 with Dragon Egg features would be awesome though; I hope 5.11 and others take note.

Thomas Chagrin likes this.
  15. Tom Tabal

Tom Tabal Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Tom Tabal, Jul 29, 2021
    #15 Tom Tabal, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    GatorMedic likes this.
  16. Krieger

Krieger Loaded Pockets

I don't think you could have went wrong with either, but personally I think you'll like the Rush better. I'm no EDC Bag expert but it's a solid bag and 5.11 makes some good gear!

17. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

TheUrbanPrepper, eh?

F-Bobby and Endless Fugue like this.
  18. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

I love the UrbanPrepper. Got so many great ideas from him.

F-Bobby and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, me too. I started watching him I think a month after his first video.. He's come a long way in concept and quality. Here's my problem:

He's expensive! I feel like TUP devotes 20 hours a week to researching man toys. He'll procure something, you'll see it in his vids, and then you're compelled to buy it because you want more toys and have nothing else to do. But then the buy goes and changes his ideas and tools, and then he gets a new man toy, and you're like D'Oh!

Endless Fugue and Tom Tabal like this.
  20. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

The quality of his videos has gone way up. It's been great to see his evolution.

I'm still nowhere close to his level, but my organization of EDC is much better.

Haha Yup, he does cost me a lot of money. Every time he posts a video I buy something new.
    Just got the Olympia WD180 Rechargeable Lantern, 180 Lumens and the Wiha screwdriver he reviewed!

I love my Synapse 19 too much though or I'd already have a Trident 20! I love the look of that bag so much.. I still might get it sigh. Maybe a self Christmas present..