1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Quality Control Issues of Late

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by rule303, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody else is seeing inconsistent quality control on 5.11 clothing/gear lately. I have purchased 3 pair of tac lite pro trousers all in the same size. The first pair purchased last year fit perfectly. The next two pair were ordered in August. One pair had a good fit in the waist but was easily 2 inches two long in the inseam (might even be 3 inches). The third pair was way too tight ion the waist and again 2-3 inches too long. That pair got sent back to LAPG.

This weekend I bought a pair of the cotton tacctical trousers. They fit great but the metal snap holding the fly fell apart after I had been wearing them for about 7 hours, most of that time spent either in an airplane seat or a car seat..not exactly harsh conditions. Fortunately I was at home when the snap failed. This kind of sucks because I bought these at a PX while visiting my nephew so it isn't like I can just take them back to the store.

I really hope this is juts a streak of bad luck because I really like the trousers and would like to add a couple more pair and a pair or two of the covert trousers but 1 pair out 4 is not good odds. I have a few pair of the covert tactical shorts and they have been great since day one.

I further really, really hope this is bad luck becasue I just bought one of their mission rolling duffels this weekend as well. It was 40% off so that was nice but I am going to be taking it on a pretty long trip over the Christmas holidays and am now hoping it will hold up.

2. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

I'll update this to add that while I am disappointed about the trousers failing after one day I am pretty pleased with 5.11's response. I just got off the phone with them and they are sending me a shipping label to return the pants and are shipping a new set of trousers out in 24-48 hours. That is pretty cool considering they are sending out the new pants before they ever get the old ones back.

3. MFS1589

MFS1589 Loaded Pockets

5.11 has peaked and is now falling. Like many other brands before them, what starts out as top notch gear ends up being mass produced, sold at constant discount prices with inferior quality. 5.11 is yesterdays news. This list of brands that followed this course is long, and more are added each day.

4. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Do you have specific first hand examples? The price point appears to have stayed pretty stable over the 1.5 years or so that I have been paying attention to this so i may well be missing something from the time prior to that. I'm not trying to be confrontational or facetious I'm just trying establish wether my experience so far is a statistical outlier or if this is a trend. I hope the former as I am pretty interested in some of their other gear (like the RUSH 24 pack).

5. Blaker55

Blaker55 Loaded Pockets

I have 3 pair of 511 cargo pants and they all fit slightly different. Typically a bit short on the inseam on 2 of them. One tighter in the waist. Luckily they have the elastic. I now go for the Duluth Trading firehose work pants. More spendy but better pants.

6. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

I had three pairs of 5.11 pants, each with different inseam lengths. Thankfully all the waist sizes seemed to be pretty consistent for me. I simply chose the pair with the best length fit, and took the rest to a tailor to hack down.

Quality-wise, I've been wearing two in rotation for almost two years now and they've held up solid. I gave the third pair away when I started working a job that required more slacks, less cargoes.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for DTC Firehose pants.

ATB,
    Sam

8. Xapalambos

Xapalambos Loaded Pockets

Love em to death. I got turned on to these from NUTNFANCYs review and since then have tried the original cotton pants, the tac lites, a couple of shirts, and the belts. All of them were excellent and the quality was good. IMHO

9. tarditi

tarditi Empty Pockets

I've got a few pairs of the TacLitePros as well as the TDU belt - all excellent quality and my favorites to wear from my experience - maybe I got "new old stock" :)

10. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing them since they were Royal Robbins. The QC has went down in those 12 years. Their stuff is OK, the uniform shirts are getting really funky for a 45.00 shirt! The buttons were barely sewn on. That means the bean counters are not just advising, but totally running the show. They sit with a calculator and figure out how many yards of thread they will save if they sew them on 1/3 as well as before. And, yeah, there was probably three times the thread on the buttons just two years ago.

I did in two years to a pair of their cotton pants what it took eight years to do to a pair of original Royal Robbins, blew the seam out at the top of the knee.

I don't think I can bring myself to actually pay about a hundred bucks for two pairs of pants or two of these shirts again. Seriously.

I hear since some or all of Carhart went to Mexico, their QC is going downhill faster than a pig on rollerskates, too.

11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I also have used them since they were a Royal Robbins outfit. I've found in the past few years --- similar to y'all -- that the sizing length is all over the charts. I've also found that the elastic on either side of the pants waist loses its flex w-a-y too quickly.

If the company was paying attention to its customers they'd also add a real pocket in back: the back "slash" pockets cause your ID wallet to be constantly banging around on your lower thigh. I emailed their customer service to ask if they were considering such a change and I got back a swift "No."

12. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It really seems to be the way of everything now, charge the same, and in many cases more, and receive less or lower quality. I purchased a 5.11 shirt about three years ago, 100% cotton and it wore like iron. I purchased two of the lighter weight shirts that were 65/35 (IIRC) Poly/Cotton so they would not fade as badly and the buttons were almost hanging off of them and after just a few weeks of wear and laundering, they look great but many of the buttons had to be reattached. So, it's not so much QC I guess as a deliberate cheapening of their line of clothing to make more money. I mean, we keep hearing about why people leave this country and utilize slave labor or near-slave labor and that profit is apparently not good enough.

Look around you, how many companies do this, make these claims and then charge the same or more for a product that's not as good as it used to be? It's everywhere.

13. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I am new to 5.11-or should I say, they are new to me. I just bought a pair of taclite pro pants and love them. Have had them for a month and rummage through the laundry to get them. They fit very well. Seemed to be cut where they were supposed to be. I just got home from a 4 day deer hunt and wore my 5.11 pants 2 days (I washed them cuz I wanted to wear them again). We walked many miles everyday through cattails, buckbrush and brambles of every size and they held up great. Also, I have a 5.11 push pack. The fabric is lighter than Maxpedition, but I think it is designed that way. So far, I like them, but YMMV since I only have 2 items from them.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I did let 5-11 know about the quality issues by showing them this thread.

15. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

Jon,
    First of all thanks for this forum. Second, thanks for passing this along to 5.11.

As an update to the trousers that failed within a few hours of wearing them. WhenI contacted 5.11 they were quick to set up a RA# and told me the return shipping label would be on the way via email. 3 days later no email I call them and when I selected customer service I got someone who told me that the entire customer service department was in a meeting and I would need to call back in 30 minutes. This is a sure sign of corporate torpor and inefficency..I ought to know as I have seen plenty of it first hand.

When I called back a few hours later I was told that the person who had handled my initial call was gone for the day and she would be notified to deal with it when she got in tomorrow. This is also bizarre and a sign of an inefficient business process.

I think this is kind of sad as I really like the 5.11 line and, in fact, just bought a 24 hour rush pack, covert tactical trousers, a sabre jacket, and an aggressor parka on faith that all of this has been a bit of a hiccup. I still hope this is the case. The first pair of tac lite trousers I bought are pretty much my favorite non-work trousers and I sincerely hope all of the the stuff I ordered is the same quality.

The thing about word of mouth is that it's double edged. If I like a product and customer service I will do my level best to steer other folks towards it in addition to my own business...if the experience is disappointing then the converse is true only perhaps more so.

16. Eric

Eric Empty Pockets

I have two of the tac lites and the only thing that is different between them is that the knife pocket was smaller one the coyote pair than on the sage ones. They have always fit me but mine are a year or two old.

17. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

This might be off topic, but my wife works for a dry cleaner and they do all the sheriffs/police officers clothing in my area.
    she told me almost every officer complains about 5:11 clothing being made with problems (seams and overall quality)

I have never used 5:11 so I have no idea.....

18. Castillo

Castillo Loaded Pockets

I recently got one of their shirts and the loose threads around the button holes were ridiculous. It went straight back

19. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Glad I saw this Thread. I was close to taking advantage of the buy 3 get one free on their pants a few weeks ago. It would have been alot of money for me to spend but felt it might be worth it to have two pair to wear and two to put back for later. Now I'm not sure I even want to spend that kind of money on one pair.

20. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

Quality buy Orvis (any time returns,for any reason) - quantity and cheap buy 5.11