1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Push Pack Review with Pictures

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by hannism, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

My apologies for not doing the review earlier. School and Life gets in the way.

This will be an unbiased review, and I will point out things I like and do not care for.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

This is an overview of things I carry. My EDC is still a work in progress.
    Streamlight M3Tactical Flashlight, Blackberry Curve 8310, pocket bible, ASP baton, OC Spray, Gerber Multitool, Tide Stain Removal Pen, Notebook, Cold Steel Ti-Lite, eyedrops, Glock 19, extra magazine, earplugs.

[​IMG]

This is a close up of the bag itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the two pics above, these are examples of the customization options available

[​IMG]

Pardon the Bic pencils, I was highlighting where Molle Gear could be added.

[​IMG]

More Molle gear. Also, notice the thick padded cushion. It's comfortable.

[​IMG]

Hidden pocket for weapons. Note the velcro on the inside. It supports 5.11's Back Up Belt System.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of my Glock 19, using the Back Up Belt System.

[​IMG]

Padding on the back makes it easy to carry heavy loads. There is a velcro strap where you can attach it to a belt. Although I find it to be a little clumsy. Your mileage may vary.

[​IMG]

Using the Molle attachment or adding a water bottle could hinder your ability to draw a weapon. I pointed a flashlight beam on the zipper strap. I honestly intend to cut that off, and replace it with a longer piece made of paracord. Trying to unzip that small zipper would be a disadvantage if your life depended on it.

[​IMG]

My biggest gripe. Being outdoors, if you carry anything sensitive or electronic, your gear could be in danger. According to 5.11, they did this intentionally so if you did get wet, the holes would drain out any water.

Overall, this is a good bag. It's not perfect, but using common sense, you can improve on this good design. The only other thing I would consider doing to the bag is spraying it with a polyurethane treatment to make it a little bit stiffer.

I'm still glad I bought this bag. At $50, it's a very fair price for a good, dependable piece of gear.

EDIT: Show more pictures of pockets

[​IMG]

Look at the light. That's a hidden pocket on the Push Pack, held down by velcro.

[​IMG]

This is a close-up of the pocket.

[​IMG]

Another view of the outside pocket

[​IMG]

Main compartment

[​IMG]

Another view of main compartment.

[​IMG]

First outer pocket on the flap

[​IMG]

Top pocket on outer flap, good to stash items that are small and you need to get to fast like sunglasses or bluetooth headset

[​IMG]

According to 5.11, you can put a tactical folder there.

[​IMG]

Another area to clip something like a bic pencil. Notice the padded shoulder strap. It is removeable

2. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

Would you mind posting pictures of the pockets opened? Good info and pics.

3. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Wow. Blatant ripoff of Maxped.

4. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Totally! But if it works for you, awesome!

5. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I added more pics per your request. Hope that helps.

6. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

Thanks hannism.

7. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Great review! I have a 5.11 PUSH in black, also, and totally love it.

P.S. Good choice on the G19 ;D

8. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I also saw your review on another post. Very well done. Next week, I'll be traveling to Houston, and I'll see about adding some shots of me wearing the Push Pack, too.

I am probably going to add a couple more details and facts to this, so whoever is thinking about buying this piece of gear will have all their questions answered. So, I'll still be doing more work on this review.

The Glock 19 is awesome. Great minds think alike. :)

9. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

dudes, is this 5.11 Push Pack expected to be worn on the left side? I'm kinda curious why the zippers are left oriented when closed. My current EDC bag now the Push pack, thanks to the great reviews I read here in EDCF... :roof:

10. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

I wear it on the left, but I don't see why it can't be worn on the right.

11. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

That's a great point you brought up. I wear mine on the left side.

As much as I have tried to wear it on the right side, it just doesn't seem as comfortable.

That makes me contemplate how I'm going to draw my weapon if need be. If you draw with your right hand across your body, all a thug needs to do is hug you. According to what I've heard, most gun fights happen at 7 yards or less.

I'm going to probably practice drawing with my left hand.

12. Tomcat_AL200

Tomcat_AL200 Loaded Pockets

You can wear it both ways, but seeing as I belt holster my gun I carry it on my weak side.

13. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I have 2 of these one in black one in tan. When I carry mine for work I use if for less lethal on my left (weak) side. It's easy enough to cross draw. I can't imagine carrying a firearm in a bag. I prefer it to maxped because of the size and the design of the end pockets, in particularly the way they can carry a water bottle or fold right away.

14. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I've had my 5.11 Push Pack for almost a year now. I alternate it as my EDC with My Maxpedition Monsoon. Sometimes It's My range bag. I like the bag alright, it is very versatile and holds alot of stuff. I originally bought it thinking I might actually use it for CCW purposes, but after some thought changed my mind. I do have the velcro holster for the hidden pocket and I use it occasionally for transporting my 2nd firearm, but mostly I just use it to hold spare magazines. I don't feel safe leaving my firearm in the bag all the time...only for transport to the range.
    It's a good bag for the money.

15. rckshrk

rckshrk Loaded Pockets

Over the past year, mine has treated me well. The only thing I wish it had is a small carry handle.