1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Covrt 18 Questions

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by HawaiiZach, Feb 9, 2013.

1. HawaiiZach

HawaiiZach Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I just received my 5.11 covrt 18 and I have a few questions. I own numerous other 5.11 bags and absolutely love them, however I wanted something less "tactical" looking for school that would still hold up well as I am rough with bags.

My first question is, should the molle webbing be all stitched together with outside stitching criss crossing everywhere? It looks terrible, but I'm not sure if mine is defective or if its just extra stitching. Can I cut it off? I will try and post a picture when I get home later if that doesn't make sense.

Second, what are some good options that you all use for the R.A.C. compartment? I was a little disappointed in the small size of the admin pocket as I am used to the moab 10 and rush 24 admin pockets. Seeing as this bag is aimed for school and office work it was surprising. Because of this I would like to try and convert the RAC for more admin duties if possible.

Finally, how has the durability been for those who own this pack? I love how solid the rush packs are but I'm expecting lower durability simply because this is not the same caliber of material.

I appreciate the replies, and thanks for your help!

P.S. If you own one of these could you post pics of how you have used the RAC compartment? I appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

2. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

I love mine. No wearing at all and I've been using it daily for about a year now. I swapped out the lighter colored para cord for OD to match the pack and that's about it. In my RAC pocket I keep a Garmin 62S, Lumix LX5, Fenix TK11, and ESEE Izula II. The admin is smaller but it helps me not to overload it. I'm curious to see your stitching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bendbig
    • In Omnia Paratus

bendbig Loaded Pockets

I would like a close up pic. of the stitching your talking about. I am interested in getting one of these.

4. tech411

tech411 Empty Pockets

My stitching seams to be fine. I've been carrying mine everyday for almost 2 years and no signs of wear.

5. Jay PS

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

I have been using mine exclusively for the past year. It looks as good as the day I bought it and I take it everywhere. In addition to being my EDC bag, I take it on day hikes all the time. In fact, I took it today for a snowshoe hike. I used the backup belt system to put a holster in the concealed carry area and keep a spare magazine and flashlight in the RAC pocket. The bag carries everything I need and now that I have used it all four seasons I can tell you for certain that this bag is a great EDC bag.

I still keep a couple of others hanging around that I can use specifically for hiking, airport travel, etc. but all in all this is my bag. I've been leaning toward pulling the trigger after many years of looking at a Kifaru X-ray. Their bags are pricey and in order to set up the organization I'm used to I will probably spend more than I want to but one day I will break bad and buy one.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Durability of the pack is more than adequate for EDC. I wouldn't recommend it for extreme hard use. That ventures into Eberlestock, Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch territory.

8. LoneSniper

LoneSniper Loaded Pockets

Dumb semi newbie EDC question, but what does RAC stand for?
    I also own a Covrt18.

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Roll-down Assault Compartment

10. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

But a LEO friend says its "Rock and C*ck". Don't ask.

11. LoneSniper

LoneSniper Loaded Pockets

Argh thanks. Doubt I'll ever be assaulting anything to need it rolled down. I use it to keep my Nexus 7 in as it's very handy to get to on the train.
    I read they is a special secret place to store zip ties for easy access, but never found the little holes for it. Any ideas where they are?

12. locknload223

They're on the back side, bottom left and right sides (small slits). I had my 7/11 aluminum straws in there for a while.

13. HawaiiZach

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. Here are some pictures of my stitching, I apologize for the poor quality, all I have here is a camera phone, and the lighting is poor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. locknload223

Wow, no bueno. Contact 5.11 and see what they'll do for you, just be prepared to send them better pics. I just looked at mine and I definitely do not have that mid stitching traveling across the molle, velcro or nylon.

15. bendbig
    • In Omnia Paratus

bendbig Loaded Pockets

I did not see that type of stitching on the ones I looked at thursday. I would have noticed that as I was checking different pouches and how they fit and still be concealed.

16. HawaiiZach

Bendbig, this is off topic but are you located in KY? I saw your UK avatar. I'm actually a student at EKU. Was at UK for a few years before transferring. Cool to see another UK fan! Thanks for the information on the bags you looked at Thursday, did you happen to be at Galls?

17. bendbig
    • In Omnia Paratus

bendbig Loaded Pockets

I was at Bluegrass Uniforms in Louisville. I am about an hour west of Louisville, I attended UK back in the mid 80's.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Yeah.... that :censored: ain't right. Wow, never seen that in a 5.11 bag. Some loose threads here and there but never something so egregious that I'd want to send it back. Contact them immediately. I'd be shocked if they didn't make it right.

19. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Oh, and keep me informed. We'll get you taken care of one way or another. ;)

20. HawaiiZach

Thanks for all the help guys. I decided I didn't want to ship the pack back ( as I have done this with my rush 24 for stitching problems also and it took a while) so I just used a lighter and blade and cleaned everything up. It looks a lot better and the molle still feels tough. Again, thank you all for the input, and if you have a covrt I would still love to see how others are using the RAC!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD