1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Covrt 18 compatible accessories and additions

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Bloodstriker, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I've had the Covrt 18 for a few years now, and it's a great urban EDC bag. However, one of the things that really annoyed me was the unfulfilled promise of additional pouches and accessories for the Covrt series of bags. As of now, we still only have the tech pouch and pistol pouch.

The tech pouch was great when it first came out, however, phones have become larger and the pouch can no longer hold a modern phone.

I've been looking for any compatible pouches and it wasn't until today that I finally found something.

Maxpedition makes a new line called the AGR. One of the new products is a phone pouch (one for the iPhone 6 and one for the iPhone 6 Plus). I bought it in black and it looks great with the bag.

[​IMG]

One other thing that I thought was missing from the bag was D rings on the shoulder straps. Even my old school bags from way back when had these. It turns out that gridlocks work great and they can be hidden under the Velcro flap when not in use. I have one on each strap.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The last thing that I thought was missing was some sort of a bungee retaining system. It would be nice to be able to store a wet rain shell or other weirdly shaped items out board.

Well, that wasn't too hard to do. Some extra bungee cord and a $0.75 cord lock. Problem solved. The only drawback is that the area is pretty small. It also blocks access to the two locked on the face. However, the cord is easily stored in the pack for land it's quick to install when needed.

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have any interesting things that they have done with his pack?

2. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I love my COVRT 18, and I too was annoyed about the lack of follow through on pouches for the front velcro.

At the same time, I've kind of transitioned in favor of a more-streamlined approach, without extra stuff hanging of of my bags. I found the tendency of attached items to catch on other things, get yanked, or just generally be in the way ended up exceeding their usefulness in almost all situations. Thus I'm carrying not only the Covrt18, but even bags with a ton of attachment points in a more-bare look.

That all coincides with a general attempt on my part to move away from a 'Tacticool' aesthetic to something a little more low-profile. I've got the red/gray Covrt18, which is incredibly low-key and nondescript, while still having some color and a really nice look.

The more I carry this bag, the more I like it.

Big enough to carry as much as you'd generally like to lug around, gets very flat and streamlined when not full, and a great mix of organization and large open spaces for larger objects - a lot of bags in this class (Maxpedition Falcon, I'm looking at YOU) only hold flat things well, and are kind of useless if your objects aren't all tablet-shaped.

I like your bungee system, though losing easy access to the two front pockets would be a showstopper for me - I'm in and out of there 20x/day.

My only real wish for this bag would be a built-in rain cover in a little zip pouch at the bottom. It'd just be nice to have it integrated.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have wondered about the bottle pockets after a little time outside,are they still good or have they lost shape and retention?

I had never handled one of these until recently and the bottle pockets were my main concern about getting one really.

I was a little worried too that the whole bag seems do flimsy compared to all the others of theirs I know of but the lighter weight seems great and I hope it is built just as well only lighter?

4. Bloodstriker

The bottle pockets still work as well as the day I got them. They won't loose shape or retention simply because it's mesh secured with a bungee cord and a cord lock. Simply pull and lock to cinch it down.

5. Bloodstriker

I agree completely. I recently bought the Vanquest Falconer 27, and as much as I like the bag for the the organization, it can't hold bulky items very well.

In fact, my original intent was to transition to the Falconer as my main EDC pack, however, that hasn't happened as I just really love the Covert 18.

6. bigant2984

bigant2984 Loaded Pockets

Do the bottle pockets fit a full size nalgene ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bigant2984

Do the pockets fit a full size Nalgene bottle ?

8. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

5.11 is good at developing products then not following through on them. I loved the backup belt system and the moved away from it. I know they rebranded it but they never really gave it its due.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

9. carboncopy

carboncopy Empty Pockets

I'd really like if they refreshed the parts of the covrt 18. The backpanel of the new dart looks like DA dragon egg's and replace the velcro with laser cut molle from the boxpack

10. Wolfhunt3r

Wolfhunt3r Loaded Pockets

I love my Covrt-18!

It's been with me for atleast 5 or 6 years now and nothing has broken and no seams has come undone. I use it for EDC to work and back (I commute) and it easily fits my extended IFAK, my lunch, some energydrinks, sunglasses, batterypacks, clothes and what not that I roam the roads with.

I personally like the tactical look but there are enviroments or situations where you need to be a little more low key and the Covert-18 is perfect for that.

At first I was a little bit worried that the mesh bottle-pockets on each side of the pack would get stuck in something and tear, but that hasn't happened so far and I can't say I've been overly gentle to the bag at all times. From time to time I miss not having a cellphone-pouch on one of the shoulder straps but @Bloodstriker above solved that neatly and I may just go with that option.

For some situations I find it a little bit big, but I got smaller packs for when I need 'em and that's another story all together.

TLDR: One of the best backpacks I've ever had.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  11. bigant2984

How thick of a cord did you use ?

Where did you purchase
    The cord from

12. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

You can order the shock cord and locks on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

13. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

It's pretty tight, but a full sized Nalgene will fit.

14. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

If you are near an REI, shock cord is easy to get. They have a station with many sizes and colours available.

bigant2984 likes this.
  15. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing the ideas ...

Glad to hear it has been durable for you guys. A lot of mixed reviews out there. For what it is, I found it has been much better than expected.

I've been able to add bottom compression using a few duraflex parts from another bag. Plugged the drain grommets. Working on a solution for extending the ccw velcro field.

RF