1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

4sevens quality, warranty question

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by cowsmilk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Alright, 4sevens is having a sale on their website and some of the quark torches are lookin pretty inviting. The only higher quality flashlights I've ever owned have been manufactured by surefire, I currently edc an lx2. For those of you that own a 4sevens torch, and more specifically a quark 123 or 1232, what do you think of the quality vs surefires quality? Now I'm not asking as much about throw or lumins out the front as I'm asking about the construction, warranty, and customer service. I would appreciate any and all comparisons please.

Thanks.

2. neonecko

neonecko Loaded Pockets

I don't own a surefire so I can't directly compare the quality, but I do own a Quark 123 regular and I can say it is nicely constructed. Haven't had any problems with mine and I've carried it in my pocket everyday for the past 2-3 years. I am only now considering an upgrade because I want a titanium body. The interface for the clicky system is very simple and offers a ton of modes which can be useful. I've heard 4Seven's warranty is pretty good also, but I've never had to deal with it directly yet. I believe the standard routine is: if you have a warranty problem with your light, you send it in, and they usually send you back a refurbished one(unless its a brand new warranty issue) of the same/equivalent model. I've loved my Quark ever since I've had it and would not hesitate to recommend one to somebody because the light itself is great! In fact, I've gotten two of my personal friends to pickup a Quark Reg 123 themselves!

3. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

ive own nearly 10 models each from surefire and quark.

and in terms of quality there is no comparison.
    i no longer have any quarks, and all my heavy use lights are surefires/malkoffs.

quality of quarks are good, just not as good as surefires. if you have been using a LX2, you would probably be dissapointed with a quark. it just doesnt feel the same in terms of the anodizing, heft, and threads. granted, quarks are very compact lights.

one of my biggest complaints is the machining quality of threads. and because quark UI's operate with tightening and loosening of the bezel, ive encountered mode changing "hiccups". nothing serious, but i dont like it when my lights act "finicky".

my first quark 123-2T R5 worked great, never had a problem, and it was heavily used and took a beating.
    all my other quarks from the limited neutral and warm runs, i encountered into thread issues. even my preon2 had thread issues.

with regards to warranty, ive never dealt with either company.
    i had a LX2 come to me defective (no low mode) but the dealer took care of me.
    ive heard good things of both companies about warranty. and service.
    quarks are nice because of all the available different and spare parts, and lego ability.
    but their thread quality was the dealbreaker for me. :(

4. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

Surefire lights are bulletproof but in terms of lumen output, battery choices and features that most flashaholics want they are way behind.

5. neonecko

neonecko Loaded Pockets

You definitely know more about this then I do^^. The threads on the Quark definitely aren't that great and I've had a few times where I've encountered the "hiccups" as well. Again, nothing serious. I do believe what attracted me to the Quark initially was how compact it is and the low cost.

6. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

I've got a quark mini 123 and a 1232.
    I love them. I havent had any problems with the threading, emitters, knurling, sealing.
    My friend has a mini 123 titanium. It has died once, but was switched out by 4sevens for free, but his threads are pretty gross.

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I've only started to buy a couple of Surefires, I've had several Quark lights for a bit more than a year and like stated before the build quality is apples to oranges. I haven't had any issues with my Quark lights but there is a difference in the feel of a Surefire over a Quark. My complaint with the Quarks is the flash you get when a light is set to moonlight and the other mode is set to high. On low you get a bright flash when turning the light on, it's something I can live with but just something that bothers me in terms of quality.

8. Viper715

Viper715 Loaded Pockets

Surefires build quality is better, I've had fewer issues out of surefire than I've had with Foursevens. The ano on Foursevens is thinner, the threads are not as tight of tolerance, the UI of some models can be a little flaky especially when the thread issues are involved.

I have many Foursevens lights but they are just backups to my surefires. I still like them as price allows me to have one in my pocket my bag my glove boxes and so fourth. Costumer service for both are great. With Foursevens I've had to explain in detail the problem I have send the light or part in and wait for it to come back. They have always made it right. With surefire they just go that extra step, I call them barely even finish telling them my problem and there shipping me parts without any hassle.

All in all both companies lights are worth the price of admission just for different reasons.

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. For only $50 plus tax, I may get I quark 123 for a small light to carry in my shorts pocket for the summer, and keep my lx2 in my bag as it will always be close by.

10. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

I have a 4sevens mini 123 that has gotten extremely heavy use since I bought it a year ago. I neck carry it on the lanyard 24/7. At home the power could (and does) go out at any time without warning. At work the light get used daily. From several minutes to several hours of operating time each day. Fortunately, I have an almost unlimited supply of CR123's through work.

I like the size of the light as I can have it with me continuously. It also throws a lot of light. When my co-workers are walking back to their trucks to get lights, I have already found what we are looking for. This light replaced a Maratac AAA which I carry as a backup.

Unfortunately, I am having UI problems that are most likely related to the threads. My light does the mode skipping thing regularly and sometimes just fails to come on. I keep the threads clean and make sure the battery contacts are polished. I will be contacting 4sevens for warranty service soon.

11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Own no Surefires, but do have a couple of Quarks — all from the Mini-line. I've handled many Surefires, and there's no mistaking the look and feel of good quality (at a price of course).

That said, agree with consensus: for the money spent, Quarks are a decent value. I have three, and another enroute. No thread-related issues with my Mini Quarks.

4Sevens' customer service is normally praised; complaints seem rare. My only experience two-years ago with a malfunctioning light was handled swiftly and to my satisfaction. My overall customer experience since their start-up as Fenix dealer has been good.

One very minor — but recent — exception. I mention only because you asked specifically about service. Almost 72-hours ago to the minute, I used their on-site "Contact Us" to ask light-related question before placing an order. Received automated acknowledgement immediately, but I've yet to receive an answer. For me, they've earned benefit of the doubt — might be swamped with activity thanks to ongoing sale, and one incident does not a trend make. I ordered the Quark Mini123 anyway because the sale price was good.

Note that the non-Mini Quarks all (I think) have square threads, whereas Mini Quarks don't. Can't say firsthand if thread reliability is better with those models.

[Edit to my initial reply: This morning, had same thought Shur expressed in immediately following post: that's one business day. Yes, I've received Saturday replies in the past — further testimony to their service — but it's unreasonable of me to expect all the time. :tickedoff: 4Sevens crew entitled to have a life too.

So, with hat in hand, apologies to 4Sevens. It was late when I posted — wasn't thinking clearly. :agree: BTW, received reply half-hour ago. My original assessment of their service above speaks for itself.]

12. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

In the old days that would only be one business day.
    I wonder if many online only stores have people available on weekends. Probably more likely with the 'one man show' type sites.

I've only had to use their CS once to fix a 123^2 turboX that didnt like running as a single cell light (1x18650 or 1xcr123a). I would say the response and turn around time was reasonable. The light worked just fine when it came back, right up till I lost it with the discontinued 18650 body on it. I bought one to replace it and then another as backup when they went on sale, no problems with either (or my 4 other quarks).

13. JerryM

JerryM Empty Pockets

I have the Quark Mini CR 123, and the Mini AA. I have not had them long. I also have one Surefire, E2e. As to the feel of quality there is no comparison. However, how much do I need. To me the Surefire lights are not worth the money for my uses.

Here is a U tube evaluation of the Quarks mentioned by Nutnfancy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGl3XDeR-Ig&feature=related

His use has shown the Quarks to be solid and rugged.
    I have no criticism for those who elect to buy expensive flashlights, but after many years of camping, fishing, backpacking, and hunting I have never needed the Surefire. Mag Lights have taken care of most of my needs, and cheapies to walk into the hunting areas in the dark. I did not have the small powerful lights available today, and instead of the plastic lights I used due to their light weight I would carry either, or both, small AAA and AA single lights.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of 4Sevens and just bought 6 more (mostly for gifts) in this last round of re-branding sales - it's hard to beat 40% off some of these lights. Also have a Zebralight, but never an HDS or Surefire. I really don't have a problem paying up for quality in those lights, but they simply refuse to make anything I'm looking for in a light. (AAs, moonlight, and long long runtimes). I do like some of the the other mid-priced Chinese products from Zebralight, SWM, Jetbeam, Eagletac, Nitcore, but their warranties are terrible and it seems you sometimes need to deal with overseas offices for warranty... Not worth it my book. I just keep coming back to 4/7s for their warranty (never used yet) and what is said to be good customer service.

Yeah, there are some issues with my 4/7 lights like preflash, loose threads, and greenish tints, but I consider all of these just a mouse fart for what is otherwise an excellent light and the runtime king of CPF. Never had one fail in me and I've dropped tested them on concrete more than I'd like to admit.

I actually waited to comment on this thread since I was awaiting some customer service corrections (a delivery issue - a first for me) on my last order. I'm happy to say that they came through with flying colors that exceeded my expectations so I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I will continue to recommend and buy their lights.

15. JerryM

JerryM Empty Pockets

Hi Reppans,
    RE "it's hard to beat 40% off some of these lights."
    Mind telling me where? Thanks.
    Jerry

16. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

foursevens sent out an email with discounts on certain items. Not everything is discounted, primarily the neutral white stuff. If you have purchased something directly from them, you would be on the mailing list.

17. leobloom

leobloom Loaded Pockets

I don't own any Surefires, but I own a bunch of 47s and I've edc a mini cr2 for a couple years and I love the fact that I can't even tell it's there and the light is bright enough for any application. Money well spent!