1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

4Seven Quark flashlights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Barnowl, May 10, 2010.

1. A3C86

A3C86 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the information

2. fordcappy

fordcappy Loaded Pockets

I tried to carry the AA2 but I found I kept hitting the switch and engaging the strobe mode. Fail.

3. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I have a mini 123, and I love it.

4. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

I carry the 123^2 every day for work and its the brightest I have been able to find in a small package -- my coworker likes to borrow it from me. I just wish the batteries were a little more standard but I order them in packs from 4Sevens.

5. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

I'm the kind of guy who's happy without a million modes of ramping brightness. It's the primary reason I bought the Quark - that and having dealt with 4Sevens for Fenix lights before.

I bought the 2xAA and found it a bit long for my belt. Bought the 2x123 tube for it and EDC it for work every day. I use it multiple times per day on the job for various lengths of time. I'm very happy with the high mode for distance and the other levels of low and medium for closer use.

I buy Titanium batteries in 12-packs from BatteryJunction to feed it.

6. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

If you are using light often and frequently going through batteries you might want to invest in a Pila IBC charger and an AW protected 17670 cell. I am very happy with this combo used for my 123x2. I like being able to top-off battery after any extensive use session and then know next time I have full capacity.

7. MedXLT

MedXLT Empty Pockets

The Quark series from 4Sevens is a really nice, quality build light with great output. You can't go wrong with any light from the entire series. Pinnacle Flashlights has a coupon code "4sevens5" to get 5% off all of their 4Sevens lights including the Preons. Free shipping too!

8. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

I got two Quarks, a AA² (tactical) and a AA. They're terrific lights, solidly built and with a great light output. However, they have one big issue that annoys me: when you turn them on, even in the lowest setting, they flare. That millisecond flash is annoying specially at night, so because of that I put them in second place to my Fenix lights (PD30+ and PD20+).

Does anyone else get bothered by this?

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Have a Quark 123x2 Tactical that does that preflash only on the lower settings. It doesn't bother me too much, usually bring another primary light along.

10. FixIt

FixIt Empty Pockets

I've got the same lights, but the flare does not bother me at all. It is very brief. The intensity also seems to depend (to a certain extent) on what mode and how long ago the light was used.

If you're really worried about light disipline (having bright light when you want moonlight mode is a *****) you could press the light into your thigh when you click it on. Or cusp it with your hand. Once it's on the pre-flash is over and forgotten.

No lights are perfect, but 47 come pretty darn close. Exactly what imperfections that bothers you will be different from person to person. As I understand it, getting rid of that pre-flash would cause other enginering difficulties, so 47 just made the best compromise. I don't worry squat about the pre-flash, but having to cycle through the SOS-disco modes when I go from bright to dim really bogs me.

11. bondi

bondi Loaded Pockets

Just ordered the Preo 1 and a Preon 2!!! cool lights you can tell they care about quality!!!

12. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

That's the point: my Fenix DON'T do the flare thing. I honestly can't say which one is better in terms of quality, so at least in my eyes Fenix lights have the edge and therefor are better.

13. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

This is the ONE problem I have with quark lights thatt I forgot to mention when I posted earlier in this thread. I don't like the tightened bezel secondary mode of strobe. If they had it Turbo > medium or another lower setting, it would be perfect. I can understand having quick access to the strobe on the tactical quarks, but not the regular versions. It's annoying.

I had heard a lot about it before ordering my quark, but I decided to jump on it anyway. I haven't experienced it at all, but I use mainly the turbo mode only.

14. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have a new Quark 123^2 Tactical. It's a nice flashlight but that :censored: preflash really bugs me. Enough that I probably won't buy a clicky Quark again. I'll most likely buy a Surefire P6X next.....or a Ra/HDS.

15. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I own two mini 123s and like them also own the 1232 but haven't used it much to get a feel for it yet.

16. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The Quark Mini' do not have the preflash. In contrast my Fenix P1D does have preflash when moving to low mode (doesn't bother me). This thread might be more useful if people would specify which models they are unhappy with, because preflash seems to be a model specific issue, not a brand specific one.

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

In my opinion, the Quark MiNi and Preon lines are exceptional lights. I have yet to handle a Preon ReVO, but I suspect I would be very pleased with one.

The regular Quark line, though, is just OK. They have some features that are a definite improvement over their Fenix heritage: moonlight mode, low mode, more emitter options, square threads, and a better pocket clip. They also have a few weaknesses: poor ano and stiff switches.

If the MiNi or Preon form factors appeal to you, they are definitely worth it. If you want a clicky with lego ability, the Quark line may be the way to go, but there is more valid competition in this bracket.

18. Gornrog

Gornrog Empty Pockets

My 47s Quarks are all Minis. In order of acquisition:

- Mini CR2 in Warm white
    - Mini CR2 Ti Cool white
    - another Mini CR2 Warm white (gift to the wife for Christmas)
    - Mini 123 in Neutral white
    - Mini CR2 in Neutral white

Excellent lights but my CR2 Titanium does have a gritty thread/mode skipping issue. I've yet to clean off the factory lube and re-lube it, which may help. I still love the Ti though. Wish they made one in warm-white.

19. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I may hate the pre-flash on the 123^2 Tactical, but I'd still like a Mini 123 though (to replace the Fenix P1D that now lives in my Mongo).

I may go for a regular Quark123/123^2 sometime.....does anyone know if these have that pre-flash too? I love the build and output selection other than that as I've previously said.

20. lwt210

lwt210 Loaded Pockets

I have the following 47s lights:
    2-Mini 123s
    2-Mini CR2s (one Ti, one Al)
    1 Quark 123^2 R5
    1 Revo SS

I can live with the pre-flash on the 123^2. The pocket clip, the stiffer switch, the moonlight mode....for me.....make up for the pre-flash. If I am in a darkened room and have a concern for pre-flash, I either close my eyes when activating it or cover it up with my leg or hand. Boom, problem solved.

As for the grittiness of the Ti? That was bugging me big time with my Mini CR2. I cleaned the threads and tried superlube. Still gritty.

What has worked best is that cheap silicone pipe lube that you can get at Lowes for next to nothing. I put that on and noticed that it is getting a whole lot smoother with use. You might want to try that as a cheap alternative to getting something more advanced like Krytox 50/50. Krytox, while more cash, is supposed to be the cat's meow on Ti.

I use my Quark 123^2 at the PD job. It is holding it's own with my Fenix PD30 R2. Great flashlights.

Off duty, I am partial to carrying both Mini Cr2s in my jean's watchpocket.

And the Preon Revo SS? Beautiful little powerhouse of a keychain light. So far, I love it.