1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

.40 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by quickxd29, Jan 31, 2008.

1. quickxd29

quickxd29 Empty Pockets

Do they make a revolver in .40? I have been looking for a sub compact revolver and I love the .40 caliber so I was just wondering

2. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

Sorry, never heard of anyone making a .40sw revolver. .41 mag for sure, 10mm I think I've heard of before, but never .40sw

If you are looking for a D/A revolver, that's probably not going to happen. The main issue would be the moon clips, not only do the revolvers not exist, but neither do the clips.

If you want a S/A revolver, I'm sure there are plenty of custom gunsmiths that would be happy to take your money in exchange for a custom cylinder in .40 sw.

3. LLCoolBeans

Oh, wait a minute you said sub-compact. I think if you want a small revolver are best sticking with a small frame revolver like a j-frame.

What does that even mean exactly "sub-compact"? You mean like a NAA deringer?

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

S&W Model 610 is the closest I know of. It's a DA 10mm/.40S&W revolver that uses full moon clips, but it has a 4" barrel. A good gunsmith could shorten it, though.

5. LLCoolBeans

I guess I was completely wrong. I checked the link and and it says the 610 will fire .40sw. Who knew? I thought for sure the case head diameter was different. Boy is my face red.

I don't know if you could make it "sub-compact" but you could certainly slap some boot grips on it and have a gunsmith shorten the bbl.

6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

A little .400S&W history. ..

When the 10mm was adopted by the FBI, they discovered that full-power loads resulted in a lot of over-penetration. So...they reduced the powder load. S&W saw that the case could now be shortened since there was less powder. Tada! The .40S&W was born.

Is .40 caliber exactly 10mm? Not mathematically, but neither are .380, .38, .357, 9mm, or 9x21, yet those 5 calibers are all the same diameter when it comes to firearms.

7. LLCoolBeans

I was not referring to the diameter of the projectile. I thought one of the casings was more tapered than the other, resulting in one having a larger case head diameter than the other.

Can .40sw brass be made by trimming down 10mm cases? I thought the answer was no. Maybe it has more to do with wall thickness than taper. I assumed it was the taper, guess not.

8. Mikjk

Mikjk Empty Pockets

"Do they make a revolver in .40? I have been looking for a sub compact revolver and I love the .40 caliber so I was just wondering"
    S&W made the 969, a very limited edition .40S&W revolver on a K-Frame that used full moon clips. it has a 5 shot cylinder. it had a Ti cylinder and barrel shroud.

Taurus also listed a .40S&W revolver, Model 405. i have never seen one in the 'flesh'. these were J-Frame sized revolvers with 5 shot cylinders.

"When the 10mm was adopted by the FBI, they discovered that full-power loads resulted in a lot of over-penetration."
    - this is a myth... there are HUNTING rounds in the +200gr bullet weight that will penetrate more than the FBI recommended 12"-16", but the the FED Hydra-Shok and WIN Silvertip rounds were available during the tests and were found to be ideal for penetration. The FBI thought that their agents wouldn't be able to handle the 10mm, so they created the 10mmLite round... the 10mmLite round was a compromise for the FBI as the ranks had a lot more smaller agents than in the past and the 10mmLite round was the MINIMUM acceptable load for penetration. the FBI adopted the S&W 1076 and loaded FED Hydra-Shok 180gr bullets. the MP5-10 10mms still in use with the FBI use a special high velocity' carbine' FED 170GR round. the main reason why the FBI went away from the 10mm and helped develop the .40S&W round is that the FBI wanted the same ballistics as the 10mmLite (180gr bullet @ 1050fps) round, but fit into a 9mm sized handgun so that the smaller FBI agents could 'fit' the gun.

i do not like the .40S&W round due to it's inherent propensity for overpressure due to very quick and high peak pressures. the .40S&W is pretty much loaded to MAX in factory form. if you go much faster than 1050fps in a 180gr bullet, you are asking for a kBoom! there have been MANY documented cases of .40S&W handguns blowing up... especially Glocks. this was in part due to the fact firearms manufactures didn't beef up their 9mm handguns to handle the different pressure loads that the .40S&W produces. the 10mm on the other hand is much more versatile and can be loaded very hot, or very tame.

"Can .40sw brass be made by trimming down 10mm cases?"
    if you trim a 10mm case to .40S&W you are guaranteed to have loads that will be dangerously overpressured due to the large pistol primer (.40S&W uses small pistol primers) used in the 10mm case and interior diameter (taper inside is steeper in the .40S&W). i don't know why you would want to trim a 10mm case as 10mm brass is more expensive than .40S&W brass.

my S&W 610s are very accurate with .40S&W and use the moonclips to hold them in place.

as you can tell, i love the 10mm. i don't want to link my 10mm web site due to pop up problems with the host web site, but if you want to, check google '10mm Firearms Page'.

10mm is not as popular as the .40S&W, but it is a superior cartridge IMHO.

9. LLCoolBeans

Ah, the primer pocket. Duh.

10. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

11. LLCoolBeans

Well, there you go quickxd29.

12. Mikjk

Mikjk Empty Pockets

sorry about the pop ups... i want to change my web host, but i just haven't had the time.

13. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

I'd EDC a handgun in 10mm if the round was popular here in our country...but alas, the .40 smith is the king here.

14. LLCoolBeans

It's not popular anywhere anymore. It's a shame, great cartridge.

15. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

I think that I saw an article over at GunBlasts that had a picture of a "Chopped 610".

Dtrain

16. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets