1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

4 inch or smaller gel pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by user24, Apr 27, 2008.

1. user24

user24 Empty Pockets

I EDC a 4.25"x3" notepad* and at the moment I wrap a hairband around it with a pencil attached. But my all time favourite pens are black gel pens (eg Pilot G-1, which is my all time fave).

Can anyone suggest a 4.25 inch or smaller pen that walks and talks just like the Pilot G-1? not too fussed whether it's retractable or with cap. retractable will probably be more sensible, but I'm easy.

* anyone know if this size has a standard name? it's exact dimensions are 4 and 6/16 inches (11.2cm) by 3 inches, which makes it smaller than A6, and perfect for carrying comfortably in any pocket. - It's A7 with a slightly larger cover :)

cheers,
    u24.

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The G2 minis might fit the bill for you. They're just under 4 1/2 inches. That's a bit longer than you asked, but pretty darn close. I EDC both a G2 mini pen and pencil.

3. user24

user24 Empty Pockets

yeah that's close enough! hmm.. I'll keep an eye out for them in my local stationary shops. They look a little fat to me, but I'll have to see.

Is the ink as slow to dry as on the G1s? That's the only drawback of the G1s for me.

thanks for the reply.

4. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've never used a G-1. These don't dry instantly, but it's not bad drying time.

5. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Agreed, fantastic little pens!

6. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Not a Gel pen, but will write upside down, on wet paper and in extreme temperatures. Bullet

7. BWW

BWW Loaded Pockets

Besides the Pilot G-2 mini, you might consider the Kaweco Sport Gel/Rollerball pens.

They are less common than the G-2's, but, they're a bit smaller than the G-2 when closed (about 4 1/8" closed and 5 3/8" with the cap posted). The Kaweco is not a retractable - the cap screws on. Sometimes I prefer that if I'm carrying in a pants pocket. Kaweco rollerballs will take the Parker Gel refill, which is a wonderful writer. Kaweco Ice Rollerballs are about $10 (and a pocket clip is a $2.50 accessory). I think I got mine from Pendemonium.com, but, a Google search turns up several sources.

FWIW, I go back and forth between the Pilot G-2 mini and the Kaweco rollerball. I like them both a lot.

8. edc3

edc3 Loaded Pockets

BWW,

Will the G2 mini refill fit in the Kaweco? I like screw top pens and I'm in love with the way the G2 cartridge writes.

Thanks!

9. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

They don't currently market a mini G2 refill. I emailed the manufacturer and they said they would pass along my message. You could buy the mini and remove the cartridge certainly.

10. BWW

BWW Loaded Pockets

Sorry it took me awhile to respond to you. The G-2 mini cartridge is about 3 3/16 inches in length and the and the Parker Gel is about 3 7/8; so the Parker is longer. Diameter of the cartridges is about the same at just under 1/4 inch. I think you might be able to rig some sort of spacer and get the G-2 cartridge into the Kaweco body.

That said, phatch is; I believe, correct, there is no G-2 mini refill, so, you'd have to cut down full size G-2 refills (which are about 4 3/8 inches long; same diameter) or strip cartridges out of new G-2 minis and make spacers.

Somewhere out there, I've seen some "creative" cut downs for making one refill fit another pen, but, if you love the G-2 gel, I suspect you will really like the Parker gel as well. Both are very good writers. I have to say that I like the Parker Gel easily well enough to think that, for me, the effort expended fitting a G-2 cart would not be worthwhile. YMMV.

Hope that helps. Sorry again for the delay.

11. edc3

edc3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I think cutting down the regular G2s would be easier than making a spacer. In any case I'll pick up a Kaweco and check it out.