1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

3D Printing EDC Gear

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by eNon, Jul 24, 2012.

1. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

I'm happy with the outcome and am working on some better designs right now. I figured out that the bowing was from the tweezers pushing against the bottom of the scale. This is a somewhat flexable material, so I guess that's going to happen unless you give it more room than the factory scales. I'll probably just leave the toothpick & tweezer slots out of future designs anyway. The surface also seems like it will break in and be less rough over time. You can polish it as well. I like the alumide. It feels like it should be brittle, but it's flexable. It's strange & interesting.

Last edited by eNon, Aug 12, 2012
  2. Mr_Sheesh

Mr_Sheesh Loaded Pockets

Definitely interesting, eNon :) I may some day actually get 3d printer access, for now I'm sorta not going to chase them, they're just all too busy making stuff, it seems! So I'll get $$$ together and eventually buy one. That's the hard way, but actually works! And I really want a wax-printing 3d printer, for lost wax casting, that could be great :) Though I guess you could make a master in ABS, then cast a mold from that and make wax parts in that, probably faster and better in the long term.

3. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

The cheapest home 3D printers is by http://printrbot.com/ its about $400 usd. Its not as high quality as the one's from bigger companies but you'd have your own 3D printer.

4. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I just ordered the new Makerbot Replicator 2, 4-6 week delivery :)

Last edited by TECENG, Sep 27, 2012
    Philbur and jmac30 like this.
  5. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

6. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

Nice one.

Here are a couple other EDC things that I ran across online.

A folding key holder. It looks like he has different models for different numbers of keys available.
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/710233/bladekey-n9-for-9-standard-metal-keys.html

Here's a pocket/belt clip to attach a lanyard/chain to.
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/423239/belt-clip.html

Apparently the mods deleted my post about my finished Swiss Army Knife scale designs. I'm not really in the position to donate to the forum at the moment. Maybe some other time.

7. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

• Hot linked images removed, Rule #3b
  8. Essexman

Essexman Loaded Pockets

Type Tritium in shapeways and you get Tofty - http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tofty

He's on CPF and MTO, looks like he's coming up with some great ideas for 3D printing.

We use a 3D printer at work for making prototype models, really speeds up the job and makes less waste.

9. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

That's Awesome!

Modeling some tritium key fobs was totally on my to-do list. I like his tritium beads. I'm working on some other random things right now though like some small wall shelves, a cell phone case and a car mount for my droid razr. I'm having more fun learning to use a generative algorithm modeling program called Grasshopper to build parametric patterns, than actually applying the designs toward a finished product. It will come with time I suppose.

Here is a SAK scale that I made using that program. The neat part about it is I can design various adjustable parameters into the pattern to be able to tweak aspects of it to make different iterations of the design until I find one that I want to use, or even apply the same pattern to some other completely different project. For example, I can adjust the size of the hexes, their overall min. & max. height and then a domain of random height variance after that (which I can reshuffle for different random patterns), as well as how quickly they recede as they get further from the center of the scale, all adjusted by just moving some number sliders, rather than having to manually change each shape. It's a very interesting way to make designs. Here's a good video of a design with a good number of variables if anyone's interested. vimeo.com/24173502

[​IMG]

Not quite EDC but here is a ring design that I also made through the generative algorithm program. Basically just randomly rotated cubes with various size and density parameters I can tweak.

[​IMG]

Last edited by eNon, Oct 7, 2012
  10. Tofty

Tofty Loaded Pockets

Thanks Essexman, guess where else i'm on.

Great work e-Non, love the SAK scales, especially the hexagonal patterned ones, reminds me of the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.

been working on this prybar for a while now but i think it's ready:

[​IMG]

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  11. Essexman

Essexman Loaded Pockets

HAHAHA hiya matey, I was going to PM you over at MTO about this thread, good to see you here.

Love that prybar ^^^^^ :)

12. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I've been doing some form of 3d printing for sometime now. Recently the success of the stainless steel scales on a key chain MT has jolted my sense of urgency to get stuff printed.

I am currently working on LM Juice scales, and future plans for a Surge scaling as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

Those turned out really well. The regular texture that the metal prints have looks really similar to the textured reliefs on the stock Leatherman.

I had a set of SAK scales printed in metal from Shapeways but the design was too thin and came out warped so they couldn't be used with the regular stud connection method. All of the plastics have came out really well though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. metropolicity

Yah, I found that they had to be at least 2.5-3mm AND you have to build in gusset ridges (those frames you see) to have a more successful, non warped product. Also, the scales I printed are only 10cm in width so there is much less 'potato chipping' happening.

15. eNon

eNon Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice man. I'll tuck that one away for some future projects.

16. metropolicity

There is also shrinkage, I'd estimate 1%, I had to move my pivot holes .2mm apart so that they would line up.

17. AnthonySC
    • In Omnia Paratus

AnthonySC Loaded Pockets

Copper? :D :p
    Tuxedo Mask roll out.

18. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Wow-'96?! :eek: No idea this tech existed all the way back when!

19. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

It's been used since the 80's for prototyping applications, but the main difference to what they can do now is in the materials. Those older machines couldn't do anything but poor grade plastic. Or so I've heard.

20. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Oh okay-gotcha. Thought I was reading something wrong, but wasn't sure! That's crazy. Gota catch up on the times! :p