1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

380 ammo options

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kyguylal, Aug 26, 2015.

1. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone. I impulse purchased a BG380 yesterday for a little over a hundred bucks. This will replace my anemic .22 I've been carrying

I just shot some 95gr fmj today and the gun works well.

My question is, what type of ammo do you all prefer for the 380? From what I've been finding, there is controversy over whether or not to use fmj or jhp due to penetration against expansion.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Well since I have a seecamp 380 , I only use Federal hydo shoks . They work fine , but mite not be the best choice in your gun . That is a great price on Bg 380:)

Jake

3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Hugely controversial with .380 ammo. Probably more so than any other caliber.

The short answer is...there is no answer.

My preferences with an LCP:

- Underwood 100gr Cast Flat Nose (standard pressure). Great penetration, some may argue too much penetration. No expansion however.
    - Fiochhi XTP 90gr. Purportedly the best of both worlds giving 12" of penetration and reasonable expansion.

Seems like half the people out there prefer penetration and half expansion. I have my concerns about the XTP's ability to reliably expand out of an LCP, but it may work out of a longer barrel. I have no doubts about the 100gr flat-nose's ability to penetrate however. But again, my concern is over penetration.

At the end of the day, it may boil down to which rounds feed reliably and are most accurate out of your gun.

4. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

I really like the small size of the bodyguard. I have a desantis holster coming soon.

I should also add that I'm pretty recoil sensitive because I have a bad right wrist due to a couple prior injuries.

The fmj didn't bother be at all though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

5. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr FTX.
    These have a Flex Tip insert to aid in expansion preventing heavy clothing from stopping proper performance.

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

As Wishoot wrote: there is no answer. That's because each gun is a little different. Usually when I buy a gun I try three or four different brands of ammo and run 100 or 200 rounds through of each. I keep track of which brands cause failures to feed and other malfunctions, which ones shoot the tightest groups, etc. Then, I pick the best one.

No matter the quality of the ammo, what works well in one gun, may or may not work in another.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Aug 26, 2015
    Eagle Scout and Wishoot like this.
  7. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

+1...

Here's why...

Feeds reliably in my LCP as well.

[​IMG]

Wishoot, Dorian and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I originally chose the Critical Defense 90 grain XTP due to its gelatin performance when loaded by a variety of manufacturers, but have changed to the Critical Defense 90 grain FTX as I perceive it feeds better in my G42.. I shoot a Glock in competition, and have never had a bobble with the XTP, but when letting the slide forward slowly, the FTX climbs the ramp better

Wishoot and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

ShootingThe Bull410 on YT has tested many of the .380 brands. Worth a watch if you've not already.

Federal Hydra Shoks in my EDC. Low recoil, reliable feeds, good reach down range, and available.

What your pistol "likes" could be different. Buy boxes of what you think you want to carry, set up targets for each, and see what's most accurate, comfortable, and reliable in your particular firearm. Then buy 200+ rounds of that ammo and cycle it all. Any failures would be a big concern, either with your new pistol, mags, or with the ammo. Above all else, don't carry it for self defence if there's any doubt regarding performance.

ran23, Wishoot and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Good advice here.

11. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I was going to point to ammo quest as well. While I don't feel 5 shots is really enough to definitively answer the question it definitely gives you a good idea. I use Critical Defense for what it's worth.

12. breakingcontact

breakingcontact Loaded Pockets

Just picked up an LCP for deep concealment/backup. I picked up some 99 grain Federal HSTs. I use HSTs in 9mm. Haven't read any negative reports on the LCP and HSTs.

13. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

There is a guy on you tube who has a pretty good review on 380 ammo. Sorry I don't remember the channel, but he used 10% ballistic gel and 4 layer of denim. He shot a sub 2 inch barrel gun, and the federal hst performed the best. I've had no issue with using it in my s&w bodygaurd. My local gs regularly stocks it too. Good luck with your search.

Haha! Update. Somebody posted the video on the thread already. Guess I should read other posts first.

Last edited by Kryptonian, Sep 2, 2015
  14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Whatever ammo you try for defensive purposes, make sure it works reliably in your firearm. If it doesn't, you may need to fix your firearm or change the ammo. Reliability seems to be more of an issue in .380s than in larger calibers.

Wishoot likes this.
  15. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Thank you everyone. I went and spent way too much money on ammo this past week.

Tried out everything I could buy. From Hornady Critical Defense to Winchester flat nose. I shot over 120 rounds of six different ammo types and only had one ftf with Powr-ball. Everything else fired fine

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  16. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

What language is this?

I don't understand the way that these words are put together...

It looks like English; but it's just not possible for these exact words to form in this order in my brain.

It's like you just said "water isn't wet" or "up is down";)

[​IMG]

Wishoot and chaosmagnet like this.
  17. shelbyfanss

shelbyfanss Loaded Pockets

I use the Hornady Critical Defense as well. However my CCW instructor recommended having the first round being a FMJ because .380 HP doesn't penetrate auto glass all that well. Something to think about.