1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

3 must haves

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by brokedave, Apr 25, 2017.

1. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

So besides what I would call the staples (wallet,keys, cell phone, flashlight and knife). What are the 3 pieces of gear do you feel naked with out. Or if you don't carry much (yeah right) what can you do with out from "my" staples list

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

I really thought hard about this, and to be honest, I can't do 3. I'd still feel naked. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

brokedave likes this.
  3. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

It's like trying to make sence of 1+1=3. Just not possible, unless your phone is combined with your wallet or your smartwatch is your phone. Something like that.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

4. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Although theres a clock on my phone I guess, i feel very naked without a watch on.

I like carrying a light but I don't feel naked without one just mildly annoyed haha.

Adam Ng, Water-Rat and MikeM like this.
  5. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

I like having a wristwatch and a lighter, too. And they're not tactical, but I go nowhere without my eyeglasses and my wedding ring.

GoBliNuke and MikeM like this.
  6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Watch and a pocket clip for my keys which I initially said I would not like. I now own several pocket clips.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I simply can not go anywhere without my Glasses?

I guess my second,Wallet,Knife & Light?Everywhere,all the time.

8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Wristwatch. Beyond what the OP lists, I keep a Zebra F-701 and white handkerchief. I don't feel exposed without the latter two, however.

I only have three keys on my ring and no "tools." I'd prefer to carry the fob/key on its own.

9. Silverj53

Silverj53 Loaded Pockets

I'd say for me, wedding ring, watch and a pen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

keycutter likes this.
  10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Not counting the "staples":

I'm with Ken Watson about the watch. Yeah, I know there's a clock on my phone and clocks on the wall at work, but there's just something about a watch. Plus, it takes 1 second to check my watch and 20 seconds to check my phone, so there's that lazy part of me that'd rather check a watch.

A one piece multi-tool. I have a couple different ones (CC widgy, CRKT KERT, Boker Toucan, Gecko Shark) and I really like having the ability to pry and scrape and turn screws and do other things as well.

LM Style PS - This guy rides on my keys and has just about everything I could need, albeit in tiny form. It'll do just about any small chore and it can go through no-blade zones too, which is awesome since I work in a school.

Honorable mention would be a pen, but that's something that could be easily purchased, begged, borrowed, or stolen if absolutely needed, so I don't feel so bad leaving mine at home from time to time.

As for which of the staples I could do without, I can do without a knife and I do pretty much everyday since I work in a school. I do carry a prytool and scissors, and the Style PS which pretty much handles all knife jobs except food prep, so I don't miss having a knife too much even though I like carrying one.

During the day, I could probably get away without a flashlight, but I wouldn't feel right not having one. Last year my work had a power outage and the light saved the day, so I don't think I'll ever go without a light again. I even started edcing two lights, because I got tired of accidently leaving my main light at home, so I started carrying one on my keys too.

alessandro.salvi likes this.
  11. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Let's see, besides those staples, I guess a small hankie in my back pocket (I have a leaky nose sometimes, and a 2-yr-old), OC spray, and depending on the circumstances, I could potentially feel naked without my CCW. I don't carry most days anymore but I feel fine having the pepper spray option—safe neighborhood, dull workplace, etc. When I go other places I'll usually wear it though.

I guess I could've gone with a watch but I don't really feel naked without it. You know what's funny about the staples, surprisingly I've been forgoing my knife on the weekends in favor of a little multi-tool in my coin pocket. I really just don't use a blade much at all except when I'm opening boxes at work.

12. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I don't like to carry a lot. I appreciate to move around without feeling bulks in my pant pockets, so to achieve this I'm willing to not be prepared for everything at all times.
    I'm also still kind of new to the EDC concept, with my addiction going only 1-2 years back. Before EDC, I carried only wallet, phone and keys, with the phone providing time and as the years went by, even light, camera, notebook, e-wallet and so on. About 9 years back I realized that a watch could be useful. I was getting annoyed with my own habit of always looking at my phone, and through my work I had also started travelling to places where phones were prohibited. I bought my first good quality watch in 2008, and have never looked back.

After stumbling upon the EDC concept I have tried it out gradually, and as of today my conclusion is that a pocket knife / small folder or small MT and a dedicated flashlight are useful enough that I can live with a little bit added bulk. To compensate for the new items, I've also concluded that my keys aren't terribly important to have around at all times, so in the jacket seasons (most of the year, here in Norway) I offload my keys to my jacket pocket. That way they are always nearby. My office use some sort of RFid based key card which I keep in my wallet, so that most important "key" is always with me.
    Most days I also carry a backpack or a bag of some kind, where I offload a lot of other items that might become useful throughout the day.

So to summarize: wallet, cell phone, flashlight, knife and to some degree keys are my staples. Apart from that, there is only a watch that I keep on my body.

EDIT: ha, ha, ha :) Just checked my pockets and realized that I also have a chapstick and ear protectors there. I carry these at all times, so there you have it, my 3 items are watch, chapstick and ear protectors.

On any given day, I will absolutely get by with less. Wallet, keys and phone being the most important items, and watch, knife and light being just practical tools to make life easier, but not important in any way.
    When I forget my wallet, I get by quite OK. It's a pain to access my work facilities, but somebody will assist me eventually. I can use my phone to pay for most of what I need in this limited time frame, so not practical, but very manageable.
    When I forget my keys, there is normally no problems at all. I could have a problem getting into my house when I get back from work, but there is usually somebody home, and I have a spare key stashed at my friends house. There are some other items on my key chain that I like to have available, but they are not critical either.
    When I forget my phone, well it's kind of nice because life becomes very peaceful :) It's very similar to forgetting my wallet actually. Less flexible and more planning required. I must remember to make all my calls and appointments while I'm in the office.
    If I forget both my phone and my wallet, I'm pretty much helpless, and I wouldn't be without any of these items on a regular basis.

#12 aicolainen, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  13. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

My approach to make sure I always have the essentials has been to compromise on size. My always with flashlight is the Voleno D2 on my key ring. My always with knife is a Dragonfly II and my wallet is a small money clip/credit card job from brookstone. I always wear a watch and as my wife will tell you, I am never more than a few feet from my iPhone.

Beyond these things, it is situational. If I am out after dark, I carry another flashlight (Sunwayman V11R) and frequently a CCW. In my laptop bag I have a small boo boo kit, a streamlight pen light and a small screwdriver. If I am camping, fishing or hunting a completely different loadout

14. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Lessee,

>wallet,keys, cell phone, flashlight and knife

Good on all those, save no cell phone, and my flashlight is a CRKT Getaway Driver. Add to that:

- fountain pen (Aurora Hastil) and multi-pen (Pilot B3 Aviator)
    - Levenger Palm Notes Case filled w/ cut down sticky note cards, business cards, various notes/addresses/to-do lists and sketches, and which I use as a blotter --- experimenting w/ going back to a legal-sized sheet folded down to fit in my pocket again, but just not finding that I use it as much as I used to
    - leather case for Fisher Space Pen which also has a Toollogic card, access card for work, challenge coin (for the 303rd Intelligence Squadron which is what my old unit, the 6903rd ESG “Skivvy Nine” wound up as), True Value Rewards Card (doubles as a small ruler) and keeps a Corsair OTG 64GB flash drive in place in my pocket

EDIT: oh yeah, and a wristwatch and glasses --- they don't count since I'm wearing 'em, right?

Currently thinking about switching the flashlight for a Photon, and replacing the Getaway Driver w/ a Gripsher when I get it from supporting the Kickstarter campaign.

Last edited by WillAdams, Apr 26, 2017
    #14 WillAdams, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Water-Rat likes this.
  15. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Can't do 3, either 2 or 4...

Neck chain (knife, light, id tag, cash stash) and wristwatch. If away from home, add wallet and key chain. If any of those are missing, I feel crummy. :confused:

16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

A fixed blade, a folder, my keys(including a sak classic and a mother key to fork lifts), chap stick, wallet, lighter and tobacco, spare lighter, diamond stone and phone. And that is what I got in my pockets. I could do without my phone.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

17. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

On my person? Wedding ring, watch, probably a couple bracelets, phone, folding knife, SAK, smaller traditional knife, hank and office key. My Vanquest organizer generally lives on my desk. It contains the daily flashlight, pen, mechanical pencil, pry bar, lip balm, hand sanitizer, cuff key, microfiber cloth, Field Notes and box cutter. Wallet and car key either in my jacket or desk. A variety of tools in my backpack (next to my desk) along with a fixie. The CCW is prohibited at work so it stays in a safe in my locked vehicle.

Could I do without most of it? Probably. Ring, watch and phone are non-negotiable. I'd prefer not to be without the SAK as it contains a knife blade and several other tools. Field Notes keep me organized so a writing utensil to go with is necessary as well.

18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Surprised that nobody mentioned underwear! Wife wont let me leave the house without it and trust me i tried! Other than clothes this is roughly my list in order of importance;
    Glasses (or lenses), rings, keys, phone, wallet (includes multitool), watch, light, pen, knife - other.

1 person likes this.
  19. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Underwear! Lol! The OP's staple list nailed it for me. The only other thing I carry not on the list would be my Atwood Ghost on my keychain. I'm not sure if you're counting jewelry as carrying but a watch, wedding band, and chain would be in there for me but I don't feel naked without them. The staples on the other hand I would feel naked without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

I carry a lot of stuff. But the stuff I always have with me outside of the staples, I always have my kindle, pen, and pad. That last one a rite as rain pad.

WillAdams likes this.