1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

3/4 of recent TAD bags I've seen had gross asymmetry -- need to find alternatives

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by DGGoingUphill, Mar 31, 2018.

1. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

So, when the Axiom 18 got restocked, I grabbed one, only to notice that it was carrying lopsided. On close inspection, I saw that one strap anchor on the bottom was over 1.5 inches higher than the other. They took it back easily enough, and the next one was fine. Sadly, the Axiom 18 isn't quite for me, with a bit too many pockets, not versatile enough, and having that weird center padding, so I started looking closely at the Fast Pack Scout, but when I went to the store today, the two in stock had serious asymmetry problems.

One of the Scouts I looked at had one strap anchor sewn halfway to the bottom, while the other was properly placed. The second Scout had more symmetrical anchor points, but still, one was sewn a bit over the edge, causing the anchor to not lay smoothly across the body. Also, the spacing on the bottom of the bag was ridiculously asymmetrical. These weren't just cosmetic issues, you could feel the bag pull more to one side. To make matters worse, they appeared to be putting one of them back on the rack, even after pointing out the defects. I've had lots of bags, many completely handmade, and while stitching may not be perfectly straight, or padding may have some cosmetic issues, I've never seen this type of quality control problems from any other manufacturer. It's a shame that they put so much effort into making bags that last, while allowing so many other quality control problems out the door.

I'm bummed because the Scout was otherwise looking like an excellent choice for me, being nice and small, not tactical looking, and having a bit of versatility with the hideaway beaver tail and cinch straps. It was also really comfortable.

So, now I'm looking to as close to the Scout as I can get. Needs to fit in an urban environment, be good on foot and bike, and fit me (I'm 5' 6", long torso, but otherwise short, and while broad shouldered for my height, not really when compared to most guys). Some organization is welcome, but not overloaded with pockets. It also must be easy to get into (no roll tops, restrictive straps, etc.). The closest thing I've found would be something like the ILE Radius Mini with a few custom upgrades. It won't be as versatile, but it's similar in size and comfy. I've had the MissionWorkshop Fraction AP, and it was pretty perfect except that you have to do two buckles every time you need access something.

So, any other ideas?

2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Two packs that come to mind are the Hill People Gear Taramuhara and the small version of the First Spear Comm pack. I own packs by both companies (well, to be fair, First Spear manufactures the Hpg stuff) and they are all very well-made.

ETA: Mystery Ranch Streetfigter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#2 Myrddraal, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  3. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately it seems like the TAD kool aid is strong enough that they're not worried about some bad product getting out.

4. Ross Winston

Ross Winston Loaded Pockets

No ideas yet. But I just had a similar problem, I got my scout in the mail yesterday and it had some problems. I'll have to look closer at the symmetry, but noticed right away that the grosgrain lining the main pocked was frayed like a sewing machine ripped it. Pretty noticeable, and the bar tacking was sloppy on some of the webbing. I was kind of disappointed, I really didn't want to have to send it back right away.

5. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

Well I've had a Litespeed for nearly a year and I just ordered an EDC so I hope it's perfect

#5 EFX, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

That's inexcusable at that price point ,crazy

echo victor likes this.
  7. DGGoingUphill

Thanks for the suggestions. The Hill People Gear is a bit too "hill" for about half of my needs, but I've always been curious about those packs.

I have looked closely at the Mystery Ranch Streetfighter many times. I've had a SweatPea, and it was the most comfortable pack I've ever owned (by a large margin) for normal carry, but it's a terrible harness for biking, so not an option for my multimodal life.

8. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

What was too "Hill" about it? I have a Black, a grey/teal, and a black MC that almost look out of place in the forest. They do color runs pretty often.... very comfy pack.

Myrddraal likes this.
  9. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

I can report that on my new FAST Pack EDC everything looks fine.

I have however noticed on close inspection that some of the stitching on my Litespeed, where the shoulder straps attach to the back of the pack, is not symmetrical. However, it's been nearly a year and I only noticed now because of this thread.

10. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I was wondering the same thing. To each his own, but the Tara is so innocuous that it could fit in anywhere. Maybe I don't grasp what hill means. No offense to the OP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fresh eddie fresh likes this.
  11. DGGoingUphill

Yea, I realized later that it's the last name of the brothers. I think it's the attachment of the harness system that looks particularly mountain gear-like to me (but I've never seen one in person). It does look comfortable, though. Also, while I'm not looking for extensive organization, I think I want a few more pockets.

I decided to give the Tom Bihn Synapse 19 another try. I had the very first iteration, and it was good, but not quite right for a lot of my stuff. He's made a lot of small changes over the years, including material options, so I thought I'd give it another try, and just keep myself from getting sucked in too deep on the micro-organization it offers. The new bag arrived yesterday, and it's a lot better than my first one. I got the 525 Ballistic, and it looks and feels great, and in black, is unassuming. The cache rails solve the problem I had with the old one where stuff would flop around too much in the main compartment. And the new bottom pocket geometry makes it more useful for me (holds a U-lock nicely), and doesn't sag the weird way the first one did when that pocket was empty, but there was stuff above it. And, it's even more comfortable than the first. The access to the pockets doesn't seem that different on paper compared to the Axiom 18, but in use, I find the Synapse much easier to get into when out and about.

Oh, and the construction is truly perfect.

Myrddraal likes this.
  12. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Ah, I can see what you mean about the harness. As for the Synapse 19, pics or it didn't happen ;-)

13. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Try the offerings from Mission Workshop in packs and messenger bags. Should be able to find something to fit your needs.

14. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

I'm just going to use this thread to point out - I have come in to possession of an old generation FAST Pack EDC. I'm impressed by some of the features, but one thing I don't get is why they put little plastic buckles right on the waist. Clearly if you use the waist belt it's not an issue, but if you don't have the waist belt I can see the plastic bits digging into your waist.

15. Ross Winston

Ross Winston Loaded Pockets

I will say though, their customer service was great. They have a new bag in the mail And a prepaid envelope to send the old one back

16. DGGoingUphill

I’ve had almost every MissionWorkshop bag over the years. I’ve really enjoyed them all and the construction is great. Eventually, though, I become too frustrated with the slow access they all offer. Most aren’t terrible, but I am a car-free commuter and regularly at multiple job sites a day, so I’m in and out all of the time, and quick access is not a MW priority — they seem more focused on security in-between locations, which is admirable but not what I need right now.

17. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

I just got a sterile Transporter Tail - do they really not include the straps. I mean, really, how much more would that have cost them to include.

18. Mistah_Kurtz

Mistah_Kurtz Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a sterile one. Are you missing the straps on the bag itself? I’m planning on installing one transporter tail on the inside. I hope it comes with the buckles at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

This is literally everything you get in the plastic bag:

[​IMG]

20. Mistah_Kurtz

Mistah_Kurtz Loaded Pockets

I see now. Thanks for the pic. In my case it will do since I'm swapping the molle one for the sterile one.