1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

$25 Hole Burner

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Inner Prop, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I've got a $25 Amazon gift card and I've decided to use it for my EDC. I can't decide how yet though (and no, gifting it to one of you is not an option).

First, I lost my Victorinox classic so maybe I should replace it.

I can throw a few bucks into the pot with the gift card so I'm also considering upgrading my Leatherman Squirt P4 to a PS4 (the PS4 wasn't available yet when I got the P4).

I'm also considering upgrading my light. I have a Fenix E01 on my keychain, but I don't much like the form factor. It seems a bit too big on the keychain, but it's a bit too small in the hand. It's not as bright as I'd like for something that big or bigger. I don't like the lack of optics. I think even a clear plastic cover over the reflector would be helpful as I think the reflector is very dusty and I can't get in there to properly clean it easily. I don't like the lack of a pocket clip. I also don't like twist-on. I always seem to over twist or twist the wrong direction.

I think I may need two lights to effectively replace the E01, one much smaller and one a bit larger. Call it a keychain one and a pocket one.

I wouldn't mind a USB rechargeable keychain light. The twist-on thing wouldn't be as big an issue for that kind of light (I hate the form factor of the Photon Freedom style lights).

The new pocket flashlight could be a penlight or a single AA one, but it should be a little longer than the width of my palm. As long as I'm going that big I might as well be able to use it for self-defense. I'd prefer a tail-clicky and a couple of light levels. It really needs to have a pocket clip.

I have a Streamlight Stylus (far too dim and the 3x AAAA are killing me) that I'm testing pocket carry on (I never really pocket carried a flashlight before) and I've noticed I do need the pocket clip. Snce I'm an office worker and always have pens the penlight format is pretty functional for me.

Finally, I kind of like the Victorinox wallet tool thingie (Swisscard). Maybe I should get that.

What do you guys think?
    1. Victorinox Classic
    2. Leatherman PS4
    3. Keychain & pocket flashlights
    4. Keychain OR pocket flashlight
    5. Victorinox Swisscard

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Streamlight Stylus using 3 x AAAA?? Never heard of that light nor those batteries. I have a couple of Streamlight Stylus Pro; these use 2 x AAA. Won't rival the sun at high noon but works well for me! I also have the little brother: Streamlight Microstream, which is 1 AAA. Real nice pocket carry. I keep one in a leather slip case (a repurposed Kaweco pen case), together with a Fisher Telescoping Space Pen. Very handy carry.

For a USB rechargeable, I'm a big fan of the NiteCore Tube; there are some newer versions out of this. The Tube at peak puts out 45 lumens; weighs next to nothing; I have one on each of 3 different key chains (one is just a split ring with a couple of knives and the light that I keep on me whilst in the house.).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller likes this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You lost your keychain SAK?! It should be replaced ASAP!

Seriously, though, I would recommend replacing the Vic Classic with a Rambler or Manager (my personal favorite). The Phillips / bottle opener is very useful. Don't get the "Midnite Manager", though. The puny light adds significant thickness but is not bright enough to provide any utility. Aside from that, the battery door inevitably falls out, followed quickly by the batteries.

That being said, you can get these knives pretty cheap on eBay if you're okay with a gently used one. I recently picked up a lot of 10 Managers on eBay for cheap. They were all in great shape, with a few minor scuffs on the scales. I just cleaned them with alcohol.

Remember that the USB keychain light will be a twist light. I personally have no experience with keychain USB lights, but I've been considering one myself.

4. Inner Prop

Thanks for the replies.

It turned out I had a $50 gift card (I was mistaken) so I both replaced my SAK and got a new Lumintop IYP365.

I went with the Lumintop because it looked a little bit more snazzy than the Thrunite Ti4, but after a day it won't cycle through the modes, neither with the tail clickie nor with twisting the front. I'll let you know how customer service handles it. I've emailed them.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Have you tried cleaning the contacts and putting in fresh batteries? I know that sounds basic, but sometimes it will do the trick.

6. Inner Prop

I did as you suggested. It worked a bit but now doesn't again.

Also, while it was working it tended to turn on in my pocket. It was bothering me a lot. Any suggestions for a pen light with a tail clickie that doesn't click too easily?