1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

.22 Win Mag or .410 for backpacking/snake gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Sproles, May 27, 2013.

1. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

OK - as I have posted in another forum, I am getting back into camping and hiking and also have moved out to a bit of the country. I am looking for one gun that will fit a few roles:

1. snake gun for working out on the property and come across a snake in the same place I want to be. (and yes, I have a VERY unhealthy abhorrence of snakes - so, yes, I will most likely shoot it...sorry if I offend)
    2. snake gun for when camping, hiking and can fit easily into a pack, etc
    3. small self-defense weapon on the back trails (I live in TN and some of the backwoods STILL have moonshiners and weed growers)
    4. I would prefer a pistol (for obvious reasons) and I feel that I can get a cheap .410 pump shotgun for the house snake gun if I needed, but would love to kill 2 snakes with one gun, so to speak.

So, I have looked at the Bond Arms .410/.45 long Colt as an option. They are 2 shot pistols and would certainly fit the snake and self-defense roles as you can certainly defend yourself with either of those rounds.

I have also looked at the various North American Arms .22 win mag revolvers and they are nice and small and concealable and would work fine with snake loads for a snake gun and would certainly act as a "get off me gun" (to quote an old shooting buddy of mine.)

Thoughts? discuss...
    Sproles

2. Ross Thompson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ross Thompson Loaded Pockets

I'd look at one of the Taurus Judge Series. They are 45LC and 410 revolver.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BigRob and SAKplumber like this.
  3. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

"Snake Shot" is available in just about any caliber so it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Belush2 likes this.
  4. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I'm not impressed by 22 shotshells. I've tried them and found them very lacking. If you need a snake gun, I would recommend the 410.

BigRob likes this.
  5. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Lightweight J frame, K frame, Ruger GP100 or SP101 in .38/.357 loaded with snake shot in the first and second chamber and regular loads for other pests in the next three or four. A semi loaded with light shot loads may not function well, but a revo will shine. I am not a fan of the .410 revolvers and think you could do much better and have more versatility with .38/.357.

6. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

^ This. Dad hates snakes and has killed many with .22 shotshells, but if you want to split snake/self defense duty get a .38 revolver. One Speedloader with shotshells for snakes and another with hollowpoints for 2 legged vermin, done and done.

WichitaJLJ and vegassprky like this.
  7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

In the Eastern US a 4" .357 pretty much reigns supreme as a all purpose self defense and field gun. Snake shot for small vermin, .38 for small game, fast light .357 for two legged vermin, and heavy .357 for larger 4 legged creatures. IF it has to be a pocket gun go ahead and make it a snubbie.

8. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I would recommend the heritage arms rough rider It's a single action revolver that comes in .22 lr/.22 mag with interchangeable cylinders and can be found for under $200. I've had one for about 5 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it and I can hit soda cans out to 80 yards with it.

9. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Shotgun rounds or shotshells would definitely be my choice for snakes. I think the revolver suggestion is your best option. My personal choice would be a .38 special. The reason I say revolver is because it would be easy for you to change out your bullets quickly from shotshells for snakes to hollow points for defense.

10. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

Well, if you are dealing with pot growers and shiners you are looking at a different paradigm than say a gun meant for a snake. Guns meant to be like that are not gonna be awesome for both. All that said I would say use a .38 special revolver would be my go to gun, light reliable and can carry a known manstopper.

You could also consider a subcompact clock 9mm loaded with snake ammo. There you get a higher ammo capacity incase you need to deal with a 2 legged threat.

11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I've never seen an auto that was reliable with snake ammo. I've only seen a couple that made it to a second shot.

12. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

The fella I saw use a rig like that used CCI snake ammo and his glock works ok for him. Maybe he tweaked the springs in it or something.

13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

All of the shotshells have such a low recoil impulse, but, you could drop the wight on the recoil spring and get it to work. Problem is, then it wouldn't being reliable, or even safe, with regular loads.

The other issue I've seen with shotshells in autos is the plastic shotshell breaking when feeding.

14. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

I have shot a bunch or the CCI 45 acp shot shells and they work surprisingly well, they are different than all of the other shot shells. The 45acp shells themselves are designed to go up the feed ramp unlike all of the other calibers with the blue jell tip (which tend to stick or deform on the feed ramps). You can get decent range 15-20 feet before the spread gets to big to be really effective @ 5-10 feet watch out :)

You just can't beat the reliability of a wheel gun. You sacrifice a few round capacity, all things said you should only really "need" one round.

vegassprky likes this.
  15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Given your criteria, I'd go with a .357 snub like the SP101 with two snake loads followed by three heavy hitters. But that's me.

I will add that the cute little .22mag you mentioned is the most painful gun I've ever shot. No mass to absorb recoil, no grip to hold onto, relatively powerful charge going off almost inside your hand. The older Freedom Arms had even less grip than the current NAA version, maybe they're not so bad. Great for deep concealment in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans but you'd better hit your target the first time as follow up shots may take a while.

To answer the question directly, my vote goes for the .410/.45lc if you're talking about a pistol and it's between that and the .22mag. A .410 pump is going to cost you a premium though. Unless there's some specific reason for it, look at a 12 or 20ga pump or maybe a youth single in .410.

16. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

For the record - I have decided to go with the Bond Arms Ranger II in 45 Long Colt/.410 chambering. They are exactly what I need, the right size, interchangeable rounds, built like a tank, right length (on this model) for good density of pattern on .410 at 8-15 feet with shot for snakes, but also able to use the .410 defense rounds and the 45 long colt for bigger & uglier threats.

Thanks for all the advice and once I get one - I will let you all know how it performs.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have never understood a snake gun for protecting yourself. I can understand it for thinning them out or for eating. It has always seemed to me it is faster and easier to move away than to draw and fire. I understand a gun for protection against humans.

Killing them just for the sake of killing is usually not needed even if you hate them. They are a needed part of the ecosystem. There are times that they do need to be thinned but I have not seen a legitimate case were moving away would not be faster than trying to shoot it. I cannot begin to count the number of venomous snakes I have seen.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jul 15, 2013
    SAKplumber likes this.
  18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

In some states that do not have a population problem it is against to law to kill snakes.

Yours is one of them.

You cannot kill a native species in the wild or your yard, you can kill it if it enters your home. You cannot abduct it take it into your house then kill it.

If you can determine that it is not a native species you can kill it.

The snakes in most parts of the country have more to fear from birds, cats, dogs, turtles, weasels, badgers, fish, ferrets, hedgehogs, armadillos, raccoons, pigs, and even squirrels than we do of them. Seems like everything is out to get them.

If it is non-venomous and in the central states no worries, if it is venomous in the central states it would prefer not to waste venom on you unless it thinks you are a threat. It's strike range is not very far, if it is on you you don't want to shoot it. Very few snake bites in the US are fatal and the lead is not going to do you much good. If you step on the snake and you are struck shooting the snake now is not going to do you any good and you have by now jumped out of snakes range. I don't want to shoot my foot with a 410.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jul 15, 2013
    SAKplumber likes this.
  19. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Be sure to post pics :)

20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Squirrels do not fear the snake. Neither should we. :)

SAKplumber likes this.