1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

.22 for first pistol? Money reasons

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kyguylal, Dec 20, 2012.

1. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

Starting on .22 pistol is a great idea. Revolver or semi, whatever is your style. I third the LCR in .22 if you want to go the revolver route.

If you want to get a small semi, there is the Beretta 21A in .22.

A little more power in the same size would be the Beretta Tomcat in .32.

For general plinking/target shooting the Ruger 22/45 would be my choice.

As for self defense, bullet placement is critical. Bullet size is helpful.

Take2 likes this.
  2. mrjaw14

mrjaw14 Empty Pockets

.22 is a great training round to practice the fundamentals of shooting because it's so cheap. learning to shoot well is a skill that must be practiced. 22LR is the cheapest way to shoot a lot.

It's the best round to teach others to shoot as well. my mother-in-law wanted to shoot my gun before I got a 22LR . it was a 9mm springfield XD and it about knocked her over because she didn't know anything about shooting and didn't understand the recoil. She's scared of it now. I think women and children should begin on 22LR and work their way up

3. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I was just going through some paperwork at work and found a .22LR pistol that may be of interest. Its an odd one, almost all polymer! It is called the ZiP .22LR. It is made by Zip Factory (US Fire Arms) and is listed for $199 without a magazine. Here is the kicker everyone probably already has mags for it uses the 10/22 mags. Just a thought, not a whole lot on the Internet yet. It also shows allotted on Gallery of Guns.

4. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

Okay... I got to hold and manipulate the ZiP yesterday. No shooting though. Not the most ergonomic thing and not small either. Think of Glock 26 in length and height and almost double the width with no real "grip". It's holdable and with a .22LR recoil shouldn't be an issue. Just over 5 inch barrel should give decent velocity. I'll probably get one, but not until it is closer to or under MSRP. The local shop had it for $262. Website lists MSRP at $199.

5. Eyego

Eyego Loaded Pockets

Not a bad idea. I would suggest buying a high quality firearm for your first time so you don't end up having to tweak and repair it a ton. I would either go with the smith and wesson series m&p handguns or the sig sauer series. Always have multiple loaded clips though so if you need it you can stop any threat. Good luck

6. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

I would also add the S&W 617 with a 4" barrel! Its a little expensive, but its quality.

7. tamaders

tamaders Loaded Pockets

I've got two .22lr pistols ... A ruger SR22 and and NAA 22mag with a 22lr conversion cylinder.Very happy with both.

The Ruger will shoot anything you put in it ... Which is not the case with all 22 semi autos. Really fun (and cheap) gun to shoot.

The North American Arms is my carry gun much if the time. Not even noticeable with front pocket carry which works great for most of the attire I wear. I love that you can switch between mag and lr ... It's just versatile given how hard ammo is to come by and gives me options for practice and carry. It will shoot snake shot also which is a plus for the outdoors. Is it .45 ... No it isn't. But I wouldn't want to take a 22wmr to the face and considering how close most defensive encounters are ... It works for my needs.

I love the 22 for many reasons, especially now with ammo costs through the roof and hard to come by. Glad I picked up a 22 conversion kit for my AR too last year. Best $130 I've spent!

8. nemoaz

nemoaz Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #3.b.
    i thought about getting a conversion, but in the end getting a 22 pistol (Ruger MkIII 22/45 for me) was cheaper than getting the conversion... and I got another pistol for the same price.
    http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/26200-DEFAULT-L.jpg

My "runner up" was the S&W 317.
    http://shop2.gzanders.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/G/1/G160221.GIF
    It has the body and grip of a snubbie, a very lightweight frame (like 12 ounces or so) and a longer barrel. It also has those sweet, sweet fire sights. They really make all the difference to these old eyes. I just don't find a 2" snubbie to be very conducive to good shooting and it's not at all what you would try to teach a newbie with. Honestly, I think I liked it better but the 22/45 was less expensive and everything else I own (now) is an auto.

Money wasn't "tight" for me but I didn't want to spend too much on a 22 to plink with and those two were on my short list. The LCR wasn't around but I ruled out 1.5-2 inch snubbies anyway.

You said you are not big and wish "to carry it". That surely doesn't limit you to a snubby or pocket gun. I've carried for a long, long time, and have carried full-sized Berettas, HKs, Sigs and Glocks with no trouble. You get a good holster, a good belt and dress for the gun (outer shirt or something to cover) and you'll be fine.

Last edited by nemoaz, Jan 28, 2013
  9. nemoaz

nemoaz Loaded Pockets

You are probably looking at 22 mag rifle velocity. It will lose 600-1000 fps when fired out of a pistol. It really loses a lot, but makes a nice fireball, out of a snub.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22mag.htm

powerring likes this.
  10. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

There's two probelms with the .22 ,ag in very small guns. One, is the fact that you loose most of the advantage because the .22 mag was developed as a rifle round. It used a slightly different powder that is a bit slower burning. From a small snub revovler the difference is very little. I don't have a chronograph, but I do have a good supply of Washington D.C. phome books. When a regular North American mini revolver is used in .22LR, then a buddy's N/A. mini in .22 mag, the difference in penetration was about 40 pages. About 1/4 of an inch. With a mini revolver the .22 mag was not just a wast of powder, but the second problem was that the recoil and muzzel flash made the second shot very slow to get off. With .22 long rifle, the recoil in the tiny gun was manageable, and you could actually line up the very top of the front sight with the top strap and hit close to where you aimed for a second shot quick. With the .22 magnum, the gun ended down in the hand, with the hand scrunched up around the hammer, and had to be re-gripped for a second shot.

Shooting my buddy's mini revolver in .22 magnum was the deciding factor in choosing the .22 long rifle. Now in a Ruger single six with a 6 1/2 inch barrel, the difference was dramatic. The .22 long rifle went to about 3/4 of the way through the book, but the .22 mag went right through and exited the back of the phone book. But the 6 1/2 inch Ruger is not near a concealable easy to carry revolver. In a package the size of a LCR, the .22LR will be a much more usable platform than a .22 ,magnum, not to mention the price of .22 magnums these days is like a box of 9mm. Not cheap practice at all.

Last edited by jackknife, Jan 30, 2013
    keeper and powerring like this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Excellent post jackknife! I've often wondered just how much impact the short barrel of an NAA would have on a .22 mag round vs. a .22LR. Thanks for doing the lab work! :)

12. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

One more data point, if OP hasn't purchased yet... I faced a similar conundrum for my first handgun. I was leaning towards a .22LR because I knew it would be the best foundation-builder... but I also really wanted it to be practical. I ended up getting a Kimber 1911 (.45ACP) for my first handgun, and it was a mistake in retrospect. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic handgun, but it made the learning process harder than it needed to be. As the years went by, I realized not owning a .22 was a mistake, and ended up making mistake #2, a Ruger Charger. Again, a fantastic handgun, but darned near useless for ME. I didn't think about how hard it would be to shoot offhand before buying it, and in an urban area, shooting offhand at the indoor ranges is the only kind I get to do!

Here I am, 12 years after buying my first handgun... I have a respectable little collection of defensive and hunting arms, but I STILL don't own a good practice-and-teach .22LR handgun. Furthermore, I STILL regret it. I would have done much better to start with a .22LR pistol (or in OP's case, revolver), then upgrade when circumstances permitted.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking .22LR is useless for home defense. It may not "blow your head CLEAN off" but it will do more than get the attention of the vast majority of attackers. There are loads of stories of home invaders being driven off with a few new .22-caliber holes. It's all about shot placement, and if you do your part and practice the heck out of that .22, it'll do its part. Odds are, you'll have time to upgrade before you need it in earnest anyway... a dozen years down the line, and I still haven't needed any of mine, knock on wood!

bigfoot, powerring and Vesp like this.
  13. Insignificanto

Insignificanto Loaded Pockets

May be too late to help the OP, as the previous poster mentioned, but just to contribute my two cents. . . I purchased a Ruger LCR in .22 this Christmas for my wife as a bedside/CC option. She has moderate to severe arthritis in her hands so a larger caliber wasn't an option. I've had it to the range a couple of times. Plenty accurate, although its no Ruger Mark II/III. It has a DA only trigger which feels fairly heavy to dry fire, but when actually shooting feels surprisingly soft. It's an all around nice gun that I would definitely recommend. As a defense option, one nice thing in its favor is its not so small that it looks like a toy. It resembles closely it's .38 or .357 LCR cousins.

bigfoot likes this.
  14. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

I have not bought anything yet. My town doesn't even let anyone under 25 apply for a LTC...I will be moving to a new state which allows me to carry in one year from this coming March.

Thank you all for your help. I'm still a bit stuck up between a .38sp and a .22. Got plenty of time