1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2015 Camelbak H.A.W.G. Mil Tac

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Southpaw, Aug 29, 2015.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for compatable pouces that can attach there.

So tell me, Southpaw, what are the pros for the Kleen Kanteen over the HydroFlask? (Like size, whatever)

2. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Hmm...I think when it comes to insulation, I think the Hydroflask is a littler better when it comes to keeping things cold for a longer period of time. I remember having the same ice in there for over a day. With KK, like if I put ice in it before bed, I'll wake up and it'll almost be gone; but the water is still ice cold. Drinking wise the Hydroflask is also easier on the lips if that makes sense, due to the rounded edge of the bottle whereas the KK, it's sharper.

I would say the pros is I like the cap better, especially bc it covers the entire edge where it meets your mouth. Most of the edge on the Hydroflask is exposed to germs etc. but I mean that's being picky you know? I like the design a little better as it keeps its shape the entire time instead of it having a neck like the Hydroflask.

I also like the 20oz size. I fits my pack a tiny bit better. Not too long, not too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tandem and SAKplumber like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks. I agree about the neck. I do enjoy having cold water, but witht he smaller size of this bottle I find it wors great in Wifey's Honda...small cup holders mean my Nalgenes won't fit, but this will and it stays cold even when the car is hot in the sun.

So far I haven't found carrying the bottle o the side to be very useful for me. At work I have a lunch bag that holds my water bottles (3x32oz. and two smartwater bottles that I refill--I drink a lot...of water ;))
    Haven't needed to fill the bladder yet either;)

4. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

With all that water, probably just empty the bladder! ;)

Isla TX, GatorMedic and SAKplumber like this.
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

During the week, the bottle stays on the side during transport. Once I get to work I normally unhook it to use it. Then once it's in my car, it'll stay in my cup holder until I get in the house after work. During transport, my 12oz one hooks on the left waist belt D ring.

thePlumbah likes this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

ba-da-bing! ;)

Isla TX, FlyersFanJV and Southpaw like this.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Captain Adobo likes this.
  8. Nobody1

Nobody1 Loaded Pockets

Excellent review

9. clydeosaur

clydeosaur Loaded Pockets

Enjoyed the review, thanks! I just picked up a 2013 version in Foliage. Loving it so far. And as a really big guy it fits really well. I tried the 5.11's and they didn't cut it for my size. I'm working on the various loadouts on my HAWG (light hiking, work, cub scouts, day trips with kids).

Southpaw and tmedina like this.
  10. vzipper

vzipper Loaded Pockets

Did you have a GR0 previously? Any thoughts on how they compare?

11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes I've had it before. At the time I went ahead and let go of the gr0 bc I wanted more organization and better dimensions in a pack. IMO they're two different packs. The gr0 is thicker/stout due to the 1000d cordura, the Hawg is 500d cordura. Dimension wise the gr0 is shorter and wider whereas the Hawg is narrower and taller.

The Hawg has a separate admin compartment, whereas the gr0, everything has to be accessed through the main compartment. So in essence they're different packs that perform admirably well

vzipper likes this.
  12. clydeosaur

I ordered the Pig Grunt from skd tactical for my HAWG. Glad I did. I ran a really light load the other night for the kids Trunk or Treat. I usually get the role of "candy Sherpa" for stuff like that so I always a bring an almost empty bag. I did notice that it felt weird with just a few pouches in the main compartment. The Pig Grunt arrived the next day (really fast shipping, I'd order for from skd again). Ran the same "candy Sherpa" load for trick or treating on Saturday, this time with the frame sheet, and it was a big difference.

Sunday we had a cub scout hike so I used the bladder, frame sheet, and light/medium load and it was great.

So there you go. If you have ultra tactical needs for carrying your kid's candy and cub scout hike stuff I can highly recommend the HAWG and the Pig Grunt frame sheet. :D

tmedina and Southpaw like this.
  13. clydeosaur

Okay, an update and a question or two...

I need to carry water bottles. Mostly for my kids but also I use one throughout the day at work. Depending on which bottles they grab I put them on the side of the pick attached to a carabiner through the top loop. But I want a bottle holder as well (I have three kids). They're pretty good at carrying their own packs but, living in South Florida, we plow through water (even with me using the bladder).

So I bought the onetigris minimal water bottle pouch and attached it to the front of the HAWG. I like the concept but a 27oz bottle falls out when hiking or biking. The strap at the bottom sits low, and it's secure, but I think as the pack moves it works the bottle out. Thankfully I believe in redundancy so the elastic trip and the biner clipped to the top saved my bottle. Well, one of them. So it's going back.

But that's alright because I wanted the MSM bottle corset anyhow. So I'm thinking of ordering that.

I'm also looking for a pouch on the front for carrying stuff. I'm toying with maxpedition sheaths or the MSM stealth compact pouch. With a bottle holder on the front I figure I'll only have room for the sheaths for the MSM compact pouch.

Any thoughts/experience with those products? Ideally on the HAWG?

Thanks.

14. Xhermes

Xhermes Empty Pockets

Thanks to your review i just received my hawg! Thanks for submitting!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI GRA-L09 met Tapatalk

15. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

Great review. I have a previous version of the HAWG. Was thinking of getting rid of it because I found that under light loads, it sort of folds on itself (sort of bows away from my back). This makes it a bit uncomfortable. Did adding a frame sheet help it dramatically in keeping it's shape/make it more comfortable? I might have to try that Pig Runt frame sheet if so.

16. Doughboy34

Doughboy34 Loaded Pockets

Dude...read your review and ordered one. Awesome job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southpaw likes this.
  17. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Great review!!! :)
    BTW how come the laser-cut MOLLE is lighter than the regular one? It looks to me to have even more fabric ...

18. JPO

JPO Empty Pockets

Is there any hook & loop inside for CCW off body carry?

19. Xhermes

Xhermes Empty Pockets

There are 3 loops inside from which you could route your water hose. Not sure if thats what you need.

20. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Nope.