1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2015 Camelbak H.A.W.G. Mil Tac

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Southpaw, Aug 29, 2015.

1. folly-17

folly-17 Loaded Pockets

I like running that #4 Slide lock biner threaded through the front molle of my packs. Works better than the S-biners to securely hang and lock stuff from.

Does the weight of the Hydroflask filled put strain on the bag that makes it sag funny when carrying?

Last edited by folly-17, Sep 2, 2015
    GatorMedic likes this.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine doesn't sag cuz it hangs nicely on top
    from the looped Velcro top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorMedic and folly-17 like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool...good to know.

IDK...I haven't received either yet. All I have is that biner ;) But its black :D

GatorMedic likes this.
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

So no pack yet??

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

So, yeah...when I got home tonight to see no bag, I checked the tracking and now it says tomorrow. Says the bag is in Lexington, KY.
    I'm gonna be pissed if its the wrong bag.

GatorMedic likes this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ya let's hope it's the 2015

7. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great way to carry a fixed blade when outdoors
    [​IMG]

8. Thomas Chagrin

Thomas Chagrin Loaded Pockets

I received my HAWG and messed around with it a bit the other night. It's very nice but I'm wondering where it will fit into my needs. It certainly carries more than my Vertx Gamut while having a smaller overall size (just thicker when loaded up), but doesn't conveniently carry a computer (laptop fits fine in hydration pocket though) or have as much organization as the Gamut or 5.11 Covrt 18. It's a great looking bag with a lot of great little details (strap management, laser MOLLE, awesome lightweight material, etc.). I want to compare it to my Rush12 but it's really quite different in a lot of ways (layout, material, features, etc.). I'm starting to realize how different all of these bags really are. I'm currently in the middle of bag shopping & trying different bags and it has been interesting to say the least. I want different things for different reasons, I'm finding.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using the HAWG and I'm sure that I'll figure out how/why I "need" it eventually, hahahaha!

Thanks again for all of the awesome info, Southpaw - you have been very helpful!

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I shoulda just filled the hydration bladder...

[​IMG]

Southpaw likes this.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Awesome!!!

If you give it some time you'll see that the HAWG really is a versatile pack that can fit many roles. I'm probably just being biased but it really is a hidden gem in the backpack world. What do I know in just an EDC but. Lol

thePlumbah likes this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Last edited by thePlumbah, Sep 4, 2015
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

So how do you like the bag so far. Any pros and cons?

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I dropped a Grit-it down it for a rigid sleeve. I checked out some .93mmm thick kydex at Tandy Leather today but it was too rich for me today. I am mulling over a design of a stiffener sleeve that will double, some how, as a method of keeping the EDC at different hieghts from the bottom. IDK, holes with clips? I'm working on it;) I just detest having a pack full at the bottom.
    This one feels so much better because the upper compression straps keep it all tight.

Overall, I love the size, the double compression straps, the bag's weight, and the material. It is about the best ventilated on my back as any bag I've ever had.

I don't have anything bad to say about it. I've only ever used a couple of packs. The SERT pack is wider than this and I felt like I was carrying a huge pack. This is more my size. The SERT pack will serve my purposes of traveling with a large checked bag;) but this is more comfortable with less in it.

Something else I'm super stoked about is the hydration bladder. I have(had) one. (IDK, I think my son may have "adopted" it for a trip to Philmont - BSA Camp)

This is a good one and this pack fits well so I'll use it for around town, or day bag events, unlike the other...it was in a large backpacking bag and thats the only time I used it.
    I shoulda used it today, and will start carrying a bag more often when I'm off work since this fits me so much better than a messenger for EDC carry.

So, yeah...I give it a ten :) Best fit for me. I will have to accommodate some "add in" division for my gear out of bags that the Enviy had pockets for and this doesn't, but this is still gonna serve my daily uses better.
    As I've mentioned before, the Envoy messenger is great for riding shotgun and being there to hold what I need when I need it.
    Honestly, I haven't carryied a bag daily except the US Army Paratrooper Demo bag, opther than when in high school and college. Since my EDC has been ...um...supplemented ;) since finding the EDCForums, I haven't had a bag for the in between. In between a shotgun rider and a small satchel. This is the first such bag for me :)

Alsoi, when I went to Home Depot today, Wifey questioned my wearing it :D After that whe questioned it agains elsewhere. Then she stopped. I fully expect to have to explain myself next time I wear it to somewhere local that I usually don't have a bag.
    I could always remind her that I have a Kelty Hip Pack I could be wearing;)

GatorMedic likes this.
  15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Awesome. It feels so good on the bag, coupled with the comfortable shoulder straps. Great dimensions as well.

thePlumbah likes this.
  16. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

You know, I've wasted money and waisted time trying to build frame sheets.

SKD has frame sheets for $25.00 shipped. I bought one and it fits in my CB hawg like it was from the factory.

Southpaw and thePlumbah like this.
  17. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yup mine is from SKD (pig grunt large frame sheet) and it works well

18. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Love this thread! What a great review. The laser cut molle makes this bag one of the best looking molle coverd packs on the market so far, its so subtle! Yet looks very usefull. Maybe when tax refund santa comes by I will consider buying this bag. :)!! Great thread!

thePlumbah likes this.
  19. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Get it Brother! You'd be surprised when you do

20. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I originally had a 24oz black Hydroflask but my ocd wanted to match my SS 16oz Klean Kanteen. So I sold my black Hydroflask to Plumbah and ordered a Black 20oz Klean Kanteen. Shortly after ordering, my Wife liked my SS 16oz Klean Kanteen so much she took it, so I ordered a 12oz SS Klean Kanteen for my coffee :)
    [​IMG]

And I also received this single mag pouch that straps perfectly on the horizontal strap and d ring on my shoulder bag. Very usable and discreet. Probably will have this setup during evening hikes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thePlumbah likes this.