1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2014 forum knife....hints?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dcmassena, Jan 15, 2014.

1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

So, did we ever come to a definitive conclusion as to whether or not the blade and the spring should be in a perfectly straight line?

SAKplumber and wrath0r like this.
  2. Thriolith

Thriolith Loaded Pockets

Hmm.. The spines of the blades on mine definitely don't lie perfectly with the spine of the handle. However, they do seem to match the natural curve. Ergonomically, it seems to work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Anyone from the UK received their EDCF stockman yet? I'm still waiting. I'm usually patient but these pictures are killing me!

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

How long does it usually take for things to arrive from the US? I show it left the USA on Feb 10th.

5. CitizenSnips

Usually about a week, I'm probably just being impatient! Thanks for the shipping info though Jon!

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This has been much more then a week. It took 3 days to leave the USA, and then we add 11 days since it left the country. That is 2 weeks.

If you don't get it by next Wednesday I am sending another.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Feb 22, 2014
  7. CitizenSnips

The offer is very much appreciated Jon, but I'm sure it'll be fine :rolleyes:

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am going to go and read the last few pages of this the thread and start responding to things. I wanted to cut down on the suggestions until I had a chance to think about things and try and figure out some solutions.

9. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

I just got mine in yesterday. Its going back to queen asap.

The clip point blades literally twisted 10-15 degrees and wont even close without bending the blade in line. The spear point wasn't full ground all the way to the tip and is heavily scratched its full height in said area. The base of the same blade has what looks to be a large chip on of the unsharpened part of the blade. One of the scales has black streaks that won't come off.

All and all, not a great first impression when it comes to queen. Thanks for the offer to pay shipping costs, but I'm not going to leave you with a financial burden to fix queens mistakes.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think once we get the pass-around going that, Jon mentioned before, we'll all get a chance to see that Queen makes a great quality knife.

^^THIS.

I emailed Queen myself and they told me to send it back. I've never owned a Queen knife but I have to wonder if some of what I see is by design...

...like that. May be be design I just have no experience with their design enough to know better.

Anyway I've paid for shipping myself. Jon if you try to PayPal me money to cover shipping I'll just use it for that P-7 I lost and need to replace;)

vegassprky, T.H.Cone and swany66675 like this.
  11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

And if he does send it via PayPal, you can just forward it right back via the contributions PayPal account: "contributions@EDCForums.com". Or, you could purchase a supporter badge with the moneys, if that works for you.:)

Renegador, docer, vegassprky and 3 others like this.
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Even Better :devil:

vegassprky and swany66675 like this.
  13. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

EDCF.... Murphy's Law Edition. IMHO, as bad as this is, it has the makings of a future collectable. In 20 years people will sweat this knife. Mark this post because in 2034 I am going to be internet famous!

14. CitizenSnips

It arrived today Jon, I was just being impatient :rolleyes: I appear to have been very lucky, mine is pristine. The only criticism I could possibly level against it is that it arrived with a pretty dull edge on all three knives, but...

vegassprky, docer, SAKplumber and 3 others like this.
  15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I will be adding a lot to this post. I will unlock this thread when I have finished this post. Going through this thread to look for some specific questions. (I am dumb, I need to be using business hours talking to manufacturers). I promise to return.

I did talk to Queen about the blade angles (I grew up using Case). The blade angles are deliberate and the handles are curved with this in mind for this pattern of knife. They feel it make it a little stronger. It also has a bit better ergonomics for a draw cut.

I am going to try and explain things the best that I can with the information I have, I will probably be telling too much but I have gotten enough messages where I have to say something.

I have looked around a few places for comments on Queen Knives and I see great review after great review. I don't have time to look much but the things I have looked at have been very positive.

From what I understand the people currently running Queen are some of the people that created GEC. They are a multigenerational knife family. They sold their portion of GEC and bought Queen to turn it around.

This production run bridged the ShotShow and other things that were going on had key people away from the plant as well as quality control. As you know Queen has said they would fix any knives returned to them. I am happy to reimburse shipping on any knife that is sent to Queen.

I already have enough messages to know what people think about this situation. I have been struggling on deciding what to say and what not to say. No matter what I say or don't say here there will be criticism. Here is where I shoot myself in the foot. I need Queen a lot more than they need me. I don't have many direct suppliers and I absolutely need them. A couple of people want me to back away from Queen. I cannot do that. If I did six months from now there will be posts on the forum about how nice Queen knives are if I were to do that and would not have any. In the future. No matter how this turned out they are being far better to me than manufacturers that have sent shills. If there had not been so many shills over the years I would not be resorting to gambling the way I do.

More manufacturers are willing to sell to me now than in the past six years. The problem is making the initial purchase and picking the ones that have the fastest break even period. The times we were viable after the first year of the forum was the Barkie period and the finding something that did not quite exist yet item to pre-sell every 3-5 months. The in between period allowed me to see how much of a shortfall I had in variety to be without all the risk taking.

To finance this run I let other items go out of stock, sold things below cost and robbed Peter to pay Paul. This gamble didn't work out. We had the next double or nothing gamble on something I think would have hit a home run. It was going to be things from five places with something exceptional as the centerpiece. The centerpiece became delayed. I am spending my time looking for a new centerpiece.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Feb 26, 2014
    kdurt, Nick4305, Water-Rat and 8 others like this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well, if they send me mine back and its exactly the same, I'll be very happy with it. I am missing it now:(

I had explained that I didn't know if there was really much wrong with it or if it was designed that way, but I felt better having them look it over. I think I need a slightly larger one next :D

swany66675, T.H.Cone, wrath0r and 2 others like this.
  17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Kudos to Queen for acknowledging the relatively small number of objective examples of fit-and-finish issues and their assurance that they'll rectify. And to their credit, they did a good job their first time out with moonglow scales, a material that presents unique challenges for knifemakers (just ask Spyderco).

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I got my EDCF Stockman back today! Looks like they replaced it entirely. This one has just the most minor pin grind marks, but again, that is only due to the soft moonglow material.

The main thing is that the blade's spine's are on the same plane as the back of the knife's body. I knew it should be straight and now it is :)

So really, other than that, it was just fine to begin with :) I love it.

Thanks Queen!

So, while Jon still has some, I need to get another:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wow! What sucky pics :p

T.H.Cone, swany66675 and Renegador like this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Heres a few better ones;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

microbe, Finnsk, Renegador and 12 others like this.