1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2 weeks in Thailand

Discussion in 'Travel' started by aphex2k, Apr 17, 2012.

1. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Off for a wedding in Thailand for 2 weeks. Mostly gonna be lazing around the hotel as we're taking our 9 months old son (yay 16 hour flight!) in Phuket

Any idea of bargains in the way of shopping to be had? Are knives/watches/multitools particularly cheap there compared to UK/US/Oz ?

2. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I spent about a month in Thailand about 3.5 years ago. I can't speak to knives or multi-tools, I just didn't look for any while I was there. I did see some decent deals on watches, bot I managed to keep my money in my pocket.

The best buys there seem to be in clothing. I had a hand-tailored suit made for myself while I was there, as well as a half dozen shirts or so. They're very nicely made, and were extremely reasonable. Before I traveled there, everyone's recommendation was to pack very lightly, and to leave plenty of room in your bags for the clothing you'll buy. Probably some good buys in jewelry as well, I saw plenty, but wasn't really in the market then. Actually...the food is pretty cheap too.

Have fun...it's an enjoyable place with some very nice, friendly people.

Tim

3. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Yeah we went to Vietnam a year or so ago and they were the same with clothes. T shirts for a dollar, full hand made suits shirts and ties for 30-40 dollars. Crazy really. Especially knowing how much it costs to see a tailor in London.

I think I'll just kick back and go with the flow. I do love Southern Asia.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

G-shocks. There are supposed to be really cheap places to pick them up there, just watch out for fakes.

5. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Yeah, if you like G-Shocks you will be happy. So many different models available in upscale shops. But, as Catherine points out, lots of fakes on the street. Oh, and the flight is horrid (especially on the way back). Upside, the food is awesome, but do try to get out of the resorts to eat if you want the good stuff.

6. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

sounds awesome.. the food and scenery look to be amazing.

7. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Nobody's going to go there? Fine, I'll do it.

"Two weeks in Thailand and the world's your oyster..."

ChrisJ likes this.
  8. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Hey, it's one week in Bangkok.... But I knew what you meant

omg we're going in 5 hours. 18 hours in the sky.... woop woop.

9. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Have a great trip, Aphex Twin!

10. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

I saw pattern welded damascus blades in a waterfront market pretty cheap compared to US prices...but I'm not sure about the quality. If I can dig up the location, I'll post information. I'd soak up culture and take photos if i were you.

11. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Hey, It's one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble. Just saying. Chok dii khrap.

12. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

I remember the name of the waterfront market...it is Amphawa, an afternoon floating market only open on Fri, Sat, Sun (1200 to 2000). Its a bit of drive, just so you know its not as ubiquitous as a 7-11. Now, Amphawa isn't as filled as photographic oppurtunities as Damnoen Saduak, another floating market that's active everyday from 0800 to 1100. These are a bit out of the way for most tourists, but might be worth your while.

13. billwilson

billwilson Loaded Pockets

wish i woulda seen this
    67 trips to LOS (Land of Smiles) since 2001.......

14. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Man it's hot. We are in surin in Phuket. Spent most of the time here but have ventured to patong a couple of nights. That place is crazy! People are so friendly but it's nowhere as cheap as Vietnam was. Plenty of fakes around but the legit stuff I have seen cheaper on the,web.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

15. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

While staying in Phuket, don't forget to make a reservation for dinner/show at Phuket FantaSea. Sanuk maak maak na khrap.

16. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

i might be too late, but ive been to thailand a few times.
    check out MBK, its a huge indoor shopping mall.
    Suan Lum is a giant night market, with entertainment, restaurants, great place for the family.
    those are places in bangkok.

technology is usually less expensive in the US. we have a bigger market for it, and companies understand americans dont like spending alot, so prices are set pretty low for US compared to other nations.

phuket is an island paradise, not much shopping there that you havent seen else where.
    one think i might suggest is renting some motorbikes, i think it was about 200baht a day for it. and exploring the island.

dont spend more than 2000 baht on a fake watch, ive gotten a few for around 1000-1500, and honestly there not even worth it. LoL