1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2 way handheld radios

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by BBQ BOY, May 12, 2009.

1. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

looking for a couple of hand held radios. I will be using them for trail riding in the mountains with my land Cruiser club and for hunting. Since I will be using them for hunting it would be nice if they had the vibrating feature. Midland or Motorola?

2. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I have both Midland and Motorola and use them for hunting. Neither one have a vibrating feature. While hunting I use them with the earbuds and clip-on mics.

I have a few yrs old camo set from Midland that I picked up at Gander Mtn. The call or tone/page button is right in the middle and everyone always manages to hit it and it sends a tone out to everyone on your freq which is extremely annoyinng. Most of these types of radios have this feature, just check to see if that button is in a place where you aren't going to constanly hit it by acident.

3. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Sorry old post I know...

I have use of good radios working in the film world... i started with the little walkabouts but found that for just a little bit more you can get the motorola gp200's and they are WAY more robust. I dropped one near 20' from a lift.. the plastic belt clip broke but the radio works perfectly.. the little guys would have split apart I think.

4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I think we used the gp200 motorolas at work a few yrs back -EDIT - we used the GP300
    If they started acting a little flakey, a drop from about 3 feet would set them right.

Very tough radios, a colleague of mine used one to percussively persuade someone from assaulting him.
    I also managed to launch one maybe 20 feet across a parking lot, after leaving it on the bonnet of the car

Never had any probs with them. Except for the typical ageing/improper maintenance of the nicad batts used in them

5. WoodMotorsports

WoodMotorsports Loaded Pockets

I think one of the toughest radio's for this use are the Standard Horizon HX370x. It's marketed as a marine radio but can be easily programmed for MURS and 2m ham. The plus for HAMS is if you've got a Yeasu VX 170 all the accessories that come with the 370 will work with the Yeasu (Same company), so you get a desk charger for free. Both radio's are water proof to 5' and built to military standards.

6. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

I have the motorola talk about s , I have used them a few times, talking car to car. I also do remote site paramedic standbys, and we used them onsite for quick talking instead of using our Bendix King repeatered radios.

overall I have been very happy with mine and not let down at all

kary

7. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

These are the ones I am hoping to get for X-Mass (black ones though); Midland GXT

Currently I have a pair of Motorola T7100's that I have not used yet. They are a little big and basic high power units. The more modern ones often have weather band that is very appealing to me ;).

8. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

One thing Ive learned about 2 ways is they never range as far as the box says.

9. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

I too love the Moterola GP series, I bought 7 of them and a gang charger for my business at about $350 on ebay. they are WAY better than the little walkabouts and alot tougher as well. wanna test a radio? give it to a grip on a film set and let them drop it repeatedly for a month... Been doin this for over a year with them and they all still work (but god they look like hell!). If you look around you'll get a way better professional walkie for the price of the cheapo craptastic walkabouts.. Hell, you might even get 7 of em!