1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2 Knives for the rest of your life! aaaaaaaand go

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jhov85, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

Here's a fun little topical thread. Some of us own tons of knives; and others, only one. Let's say something came up and you got rid of all your knives and could only keep 2 for the rest of your life. What would they be and why? Post up pics what you would use each used for. My plan is to eventually liquidate my collection and only keep 2 knives.

I'll start:

Spyderco PM2 - Daily EDC tasks and hard use (if thats even a real thing for a office worker like myself)
    [​IMG]

and

LionSteel Clipper - Gentle men carry for formal or dressier occasions where a pocket clip should not be present.
    [​IMG]

I chose the PM2 because I love the deployment , lock up and you can't beat S30V for daily use. Plus spyderco's warrenty and sharpening services didnt hurt.

I chose the lionsteel because I really wanted a nice slipjoint that I can carry at a wedding or interview or any other formal/dresser occasion and use without freaking out non-knife enthusiast.

lets see what your choices are!

Moose, jolico and el_murdoque like this.
  2. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I totally understand your reasoning.
    The Spyderco is a very utilitarian Knife of sufficient quality to last you a long time, maybe a lifetime.
    Its beauty, however, is applied in its pure form follows function appearance. This is the very idea of a modern knife. No bells & whistles at all, just pure knifeness - which makes it unattractive to carry in a formal environment.
    The Lionsteel on the other hand sits well in a Tuxedo pocket. It just screams gentleman. It's hard to think of an EDC scenario where you would have need of anything else.

I myself would opt for the smallest one hand slip joint I can get a full grip on like the Spyderco Urban as my first choice. I have not carried a knife on a formal occasion, though. This would need some thought, since my current collection offers no suitable item.

Moose, Moshe ben David and Jhov85 like this.
  3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I would probably go with the Benchmade Arcane and a Swiss Army knife such as Field-master.

The arcane is a nice size knife with S90v blade that is long enough for many tasks and assisted flipper. The Swiss Army knife because it is multi-purpose with a lot of tools in addition to a useful blade.

heyhey, Moshe ben David and Jhov85 like this.
  4. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

5. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

The no “bells and whistles” part of your statement is the exact reason I chose the PM2. I have a CRK inkosi and I can never bring myself to use it as it’s my most expensive knife. I would rather have a knife I can use freely without worry of scuffing it or dropping it or handing it to a friend to use.

I’ve been 2 weddings where I carried a alox cadet and it came in handy both times. To cut a snag in my girlfriends dress and to help the groom open a very well wrapped gift. No one freaked out when I pulled it out.

I also travel with a slipjoint in my carry on luggage. It’s come in handy countless times when abroad. So sad the Japanese airport security claimed it from me. Totally my fault left it in my pocket.

6. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

Whoa! Digging the pliers on that case. Is that a custom Model?

I love the zt I was thinking of choosing my 0562 but the pm2 is hard to beat

Gary Gross likes this.
  7. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

Not a bad combo

8. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

Case made the pattern (650045R) on a limited run in 2001. They're a pretty hard to find but they do pop up now and then on ebay.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I could have sworn there was another thread - or two or three - like this on here. But never mind. I'll play.

Much as I also like the Spyderco PM2, I'm torn between it and my Buck 112 (just slightly smaller brother to the 110). Bucks are tough; not a high end steel but can take a hell of a beating; and built for field use including resharpening. Not that I'm a hunter or anything - I'm not - but there's something about the basic nature of a Buck that really appeals to me. I think I just talked myself into the Buck.

For a more 'gentlemanly' type carry I'll opt for a SAK also. Much as I like my Alox Cadet, since I'm limited in this scenario to only two I think I'll go with the Pioneer-X, just to give myself a pair of scissors!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose and Jhov85 like this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Case XX 6143 "Granddaddy Barlow", born 1940-1964

[​IMG]
    Hinderer XM-18, 3.5“, Harpoon Spanto, Jade G10

Same reasoning. The Case XX as a low key pocket knife. Although it’s about 60 years old, it’s razor sharp and walks and talks like nothing you’ve seen. The Hinderer as the work horse aka tank and to play the flipping game if I’m fidgety.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

wazu013, Moose and Jhov85 like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@ThaMac: that is a beaut of a Barlow! Makes me wonder if we can organize a write-in campaign to Case to finally issue some Barlows again, maybe by starting with a re-issue of this one!

Hmmm.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Thank you! It was a rare find. A friend bought it in the US for me and brought it over. Although it’s so old it’s practically in mint condition. The bovine handle has a deep chestnut color, that’s not done justice on the picture. One of the scales has a very, very slightly darker line that I found only after a detailed inspection. Therefore I assume it was in a display, attached to the back wall or a stand with wires. Born 1940-1964 it’s at least as old as I am (me being 1964) which makes it special for me. With 3 7/8“ blade length, it’s not a small knife though.

13. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

I almost chose a tiny buck 55 as my gentlemen carry. Now I’m considering a pioneer x

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

That case looks brand new! Is it the cv steel or the surgical? Hinderer is always a good choice very tough and durible. How’s the warranty?

15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That thing was made between 1940 and 1964. So as far as I know it’s carbon steel. But if someone corrects me, I’ll take that any day.

As I never had a warranty case with a Hinderer I can’t say anything about that. And, honestly, next to abuse I can’t imagine anything happening to it. It’s so overbuilt. Because it’s cold here, I had to use it with gloves. That’s where a hard use knife starts to shine (as well). It just works.

#15 ThaMac, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

lets see some more!

17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I’m confused.

#17 ThaMac, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018