1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2 Color Paracord Bracelet - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Prodigal_Son_84, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Prodigal_Son_84

Prodigal_Son_84 Loaded Pockets

OK,

I need instructions on braiding the 2-color paracord Cobra Stitch/Salomon bar bracelet. I've been searching for an hour or more and can't find them. Intstructables and Stormdrayne has instructions for the single color, but I need the 2 color instructions. The bracelet below is what I'm trying to make and with those shackles as well.

Please help me out.

THANKS!

2. Raiden

Raiden Loaded Pockets

3. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Loaded Pockets

If you start with one strand each of two separate colors, you will get the results pictured. Loop them over the closed end of the shackle, leaving the short ends for the core of the bracelet. Do the cobra stitches, and you will see the colorway you are looking for. Have fun.

4. Prodigal_Son_84

Prodigal_Son_84 Loaded Pockets

THANKS! The video did help!

That's the trick man! I appreciate it!

I did my first bracelet while ago tonight. I used the starting method as shown in the video. It worked, but is a little bulky to wear underneath the wrist. I just practiced what Pesky_Human said, and that's the way to go.

Thanks ya'll, I was getting worn down a bit searching for what to do. I'll post a couple pics when I finished my second shot. I'm hoping for a better finished product.

5. bubbas45

bubbas45 Loaded Pockets

Can you clarify that method? I'm just not seeing how this works. I'm trying to do it with a side-release buckle, but the principal should be just the same as for the shackle.

The photo in your original post looks to me like the way Stormdrane does the 2-color bracelet, by actually joining two different cords together, then starting with the larks head at one end, looping around the other and weaving back.

I don't get what you do with two separate cords.

thanks, bws

6. IPDSystems

IPDSystems Empty Pockets

I make and sell them on my site and on Ebay (I call the "line CavScout Paracord if you are searching)
    http://www.ipdsny.com/Survival_Bracelets.php

My most popular are the two-tones with built-in compasses.

To make the two-tone, what works for me at least, is to get two strands the same length (about 4-5' each for a bracelet, and leaves me enough left over to make matching fobs)

I take one end and pull out about an inch of the inner strands and cut them off.

This leave about a 1/2" of outer core to form a "female end."

I then burn the other end and while still hot roll it into a point with my fingers. I put A drop of SUperGlue gel in the "female end" (where the inner strands were" and insert the "male end" about a quarter of an inch. I then roll together until the glue starts to set, and leave alone for awhile as I work on something else.

When dry, I then start me work around the buckle to get the two-tone.

Been working well for me for years, and thankfully has been receiving great feedback from Ebay, and resulting in quite a few custom orders lately!

Bryn

7. bubbas45

bubbas45 Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Bryn. That is what Stormdrane has mentioned, or sewing the two cords together, or melting them together. I did the strip the inner strands, insert and melt method last night and it worked fine. What I want to know is what the other guy is describing as it seems to involve two unjoined cords.

bws

8. IPDSystems

IPDSystems Empty Pockets

bubba:

I couldn't follow it either; I'm sure just a sentence or two more would clear up his intent.

Using wither the glue or melt method (or a combo of the two) and placing the joint against the base of the buckle before starting the weave makes it almost invisible. I'm sure the sewing method works also, but I have been selling so many I just don't have the time to try it right now, nor see any advantage in strength or looks.

Bryn

9. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I'll see if I can explain this without pictures.
    I take 2 different strands of different colored cord about 4 1/2 - 5 feet long. Lay them side by side. To figure out where to anchor the buckle I figure 1 1/2 inches for the buckle and then measure the lenght needed for the diameter of the wrist. For example, if were tying a bracelet for a 7 1/2 in wrist I would tye the 2 cords on one buckle with a larks head's and leave 5 inch "tails" or standing ends. This will be your core.
    I lay the other half of the buckle at the end of the short pieces or just a little bit beyond. Take the 2 longer cords and lay them beside the 2 short cords up to the other half of the buckle. Then loop them through the slot of the second buckle. Sometimes I loop them so one end comes out the front and the other out the back, and then start tying the Soloman's bar with the cord/color the comes out the back of the buckle staying in the back and the cord/color coming out the front. I think this makes the "lay" of the first knot a little flatter, YMMV. The first couple of passes will be a little tricky and you may have to adjusted the knots acouple of times but after a couple of passes you're on your way. Just keep tying the Soloman's bar, tightening the knots consistently, until you come back to the first buckle, tighten and cut off and heat seal the ends.

Sewing or gluing the 2 cords together may help a little bit when you first start the tying over them, I figure it doesn't matter as they are in the core. I do sew the ends together when doing a 2 color snake knot.

Hope this helps, I can take some pictures next time I do one.

10. IPDSystems

IPDSystems Empty Pockets

Thanks for detailing more. Am I correct in that you would now have 4 ends to cut and burn, instead of 2?

Would love to see pics, and good luck with your paracord projects!

Bryn

11. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Hello all
    when I make a dual color bracelet I use a lacing needle and splice the two colors I think it just makes for a neater job not as bulky.
    Once spliced it is just treated like any other cobra bracelet. Lacing needles can be picked up on amazon for a few bucks and there really handy
    especialy when doing the snake knot.
    Jester

[img width=640 height=480]http://www.blackcatservices.net/pics/IMG_0195.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=389]http://www.blackcatservices.net/pics/IMG_0193.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=392]http://www.blackcatservices.net/pics/IMG_0207.jpg[/img]

12. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

No, just 2, the other ends are in the core.

13. bubbas45

bubbas45 Loaded Pockets

Thanks, folks. dewildeman, the extra details re two cords finally penetrated my thick skull. I'm going to try that method on my next bracelet.

jester02k, the lacing needles are cool. That's going to be fun to try as well.

bws

14. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Melt the ends at the same time and then push them together - shape with moist fingers. Done. Takes about 10 seconds.

15. IPDSystems

IPDSystems Empty Pockets