1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

2.9-3.25 inch knife under 30$ suggestions?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Carborane, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Carborane

Carborane Loaded Pockets

Hi guys! Long time lurker first time poster. I'm 12 and I've been edc'ing my Vic tourist since I got it in 09 and have found countless uses for it. I'm homeschooled so I don't have to worry about retarded zero tolerance laws. I've been looking at the zdp-189 version of the Delica 4 but it's way, way, way out of budget. This knife would probably be purchased by my dad for my birthday/christmas online (specifically amazon) or I would drag said father into a knife shop and buy it myself. The tourist has met all of my knife needs admirably but has an annoying tendency to not slice apples fully across the apple, if that makes sense. I've been looking at the douk-douk, but the kind that will be in stock in 3 months and is available on amazon is too big, even though it's quite thin. Chinese "goodies" are pretty much out of the question because of long shipping times and QC issues. Oh and it has to be less than 3/8s of an inch thin. And tacticool knives would scare my mom.
    Backlocks no, framelocks ideal, linerlocks no.
    The better the Fit&Finish the better!

Also just to avoid repetetive posts:

SRN and Enlan and Ganzo knives are Chinese.
    The Dragonfly 2 is too expensive and too small.
    The Ladybug is too small.
    The Kershaw Scallion is too small and it's assisted opening.
    The Leek has a blade shape that I don't like, it's too expensive, and it's assisted opening.
    Sodbusters are too thick.
    The Higo-no-kami would be ok but the little protruding tang could cause issues. (backup option)
    The Spydie Persistence/Ambitious/Tenacious/Byrd Knives are either too big, too tacticool, or both.
    Slipjoints are usually too thick, otherwise they are too expensive.
    Peasant knives are too wide; wouldn't fit in tiny women's pant's pockets.
    MT's are too heavy!

I hope there are knives other than those that work!!

Sorry for the post length- I can be long winded a times.

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I'll take a shot. But, I also think you should re-think and clarify some of your requirements.

You mention that you like the Delica, but then say the Persistence/ambitious/Tenacious knives are to big and/or tactical looking. You realize that they are VERY similier in looks and size to the Delica right? If your requirement is to cut and apple across the middle, that seem to indicate a folder in the 3"+ size range. Also you say no back locks, but the Delica is a back lock.

So my answer is....get a used Delica or even Endura. They are often seen here in the B/S/T forum and they are pretty common on the 'bay

They have been well made knives from day one and they meet (or darn close) your thickness requirement. FInd one of the more recent ones in color, and that takes away from some of the "tactical" look.

Option two, a lot of the assisted knives can have their spring removed. The leeks in particular are very thin if you decide you like the blade shape (BTW check the Random leek for a different blade shape) The leeks are some of the thinnest knives for their size.

3. Mr Lime v2

Mr Lime v2 Empty Pockets

You're 12? I don't believe it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

TDS and ShadowE like this.
  4. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Swiss Army Rucksack Under $30

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Strange thought of the week: ”I asked God for a bike, but in church they said God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.”

warchild likes this.
  5. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Opinel No.8

MangeD700 likes this.
  6. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Look at some Kershaws. Maybe a Thermite?

Miller0613 likes this.
  7. Carborane

Carborane Loaded Pockets

Didn't think of buying an delica or endura used... thanks for the suggestion! +1 on colored handles. The Random leek has serrations that would only be kind of useless, thanks for putting that out there though. The byrd knives are all kind of on the thick side, with liner locks. I apologize for not being specific and simply slapping the tacticool label on them. By cutting an apple, I meant cuttling a slice off on the bias, like this (not my picture): [​IMG]. Just isn't that convenient once you get to a certain slice size. I got to handle a few lockbacks (buck 110 and kabar... mule? dozier?) at a gun expo the other day and they were super stiff... so I'm kind of afraid of buying a delica and it being hard to disengage. Looking forward to getting 15 posts and gaining access to the B/S/T forum!

8. Joe58

Joe58 Loaded Pockets

The Opinel is a good option, or maybe a Vic Solo? Nice blade with a tough Alox handle. Or perhaps the Vic Soldier for a few more options.

If you're wanting to try a framelock, take a look at the new bigger Cryo. Built like a tank and reasonably priced. For the least "non scary" type knife though - either a Victorinox or the Opinel are very good choices.

Depending on where you're located, make sure you're aware of the laws with knives. If you've a blade clipped to your pocket and being 12, you may get to visit with an officer. Watch for a gun and/or knife show where perhaps you may be able to handle some different brands to aid in your decisions.

Kudos to you though for being an intelligent youngster wanting to learn. This is a great forum for that! But it may be hard to match a blade to all your listed requirements.

9. Miller0613

Miller0613 Empty Pockets

I know it is a back lock but the Boker Plus Titan Drop knife looks like it might be a viable option.

10. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

A 12 yr old who posts with better English and grammar than most of what i read here, including myself. Congrats! :)

Opinel 6 or 8 is my recommendation.

CitizenSnips and karlito like this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

A Vic Alox Solo sounds about perfect (if you don't require a lock). It has a large enough blade, is incredibly slim, and perfect fit and finish. They're discontinued but still available and around $20 if you can find one. :)

12. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Boker plus Chad Los Banos Trance. My hats of to you, for your writing skills.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Shike, Oct 15, 2013
  13. Carborane

Carborane Loaded Pockets

The Boker titan drop looks nice; will definitely look at reviews. The chad los banos trance would have been perfect if not for the linerlock. The vic solo unfortunately has a blade that is a little too small and the opinel is kind of thick :/ other than that they also would have been perfect. I think they have the cyro at REI; next time I can drag my dad in there I'll take a look. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys, and thanks for commenting on my writing skills LOL. I think that in CA the standard knife laws apply to minors also.

14. grathlong

grathlong Loaded Pockets

Cool to see another young edc'er who enjoys knives like me. :) The Kershaw lines make great knives, which in my opinion are the best quality for your money. In the Keyshawn check out the leek and the cryo. I would say Emerson but they are a bit tactical. I know you were asking about pocket knives but if you ever look for a fixed blade look at Esee.
    Edit: while it seems crazy I would suggest buying good quality knives even if its $50-$200 it is definitely worth it. The steel is one of the big differences that I am sure as you know makes worlds of difference. If you don't sharpen your knives on your own pick up a whetstone they are every dime you put into them. Also please please please don't put your blade on a machine sharpener you may as well throw it away.

15. Carborane

Carborane Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I actually restored one of my late grandpa's knives on a whetsone so no problem there. The main problem isn't the price; it's about convincing my non-edc-understanding parents to buy. I actually have thought about fixed blades and have been looking at BRKT and esee, but again, parents. So yeah.

16. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

You could just carve or simply grind the handle of an Opinel to the shape and thickness you want it to have. The only thing you can’t make thinner is the diameter of the locking ring.

17. Carborane

Carborane Loaded Pockets

THAT'S BRILLIANT! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I could just take off the locking ring altogether, thank you opinel is now #1 on the list! Thanks! Wow how did I not think of that!

18. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

If you ruin it there are one or two more in your budget. ;)

19. grathlong

grathlong Loaded Pockets

I have nothing bad to say about Esee. I have an Esee 4. The steel is easy to sharpen, and retains its edge decently well. It was my first kydex sheath, it made me fall in love with kydex. The coating is super durable I have chopped to many trees, gone weed whacking, and skinned countless number of critters. The micarta is so durable too. The blade thickness is awesome to because while its not good on the knife you can practically use it as a pry bar. Highly recommend it :)

20. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I would try not to remove the locking ring. It could cause issues if the blade comes back on you. Correct me if I am wrong though.
    --Ben