1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1st 10/22 EDC Rifle Questions

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by sublimepatriot1776, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sublimepatriot1776

sublimepatriot1776 Empty Pockets

Hello all,

Just ordered my 1st 10/22. The SS carbine with black features. Starting to wonder if I should have went the alloy steel route because I dont want a shiny gun. I plan to later paint or DuraCoat it.

Im looking for soemthing I can always have in the home or car. I will modify it to be accurate and quiet. I want it to be a nice little EDC or Escape&Evasion rifle (for an large scale emergency only of course).

Also Im thinking about replacing factory parts with a Volquartsen bolt release and target hammer kit(Also Stainless or Alloy?), recoil buffer, and Target Rifle Trigger with trigger over travel screw. Any other inexpensive, but needed mods I should consider? Plan on sticking with the factory stock for abit, but then maybe getting a Butler Creek side folder back packers stock.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

2. sublimepatriot1776

sublimepatriot1776 Empty Pockets

Im now going to sell the barrel and get an alloy 18.5" barrel, Hogue over molded stock with sling swivels, and Tech sights.

3. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

If you have a file, you can do the bolt release yourself. The only difference between the stock one and one that releases on pullback is a little pip inside one of the cutouts on the piece.

Actually, you should go over to rimfirecentral.com. We have lots of people who have done anything you can imagine to 10/22s who would be glad to help you.

4. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

When you get done with your mods you will want to sell the gun and get one that nobody screwed with.

The 10-22 is the most modified .22 around. Most of the mods are cosmetic some enhance the gun for target use etc... however when done for EDC and relialibility, a lot of the mods will make the rifle unreliable.

I will not start to monday morning quaterback you however, I will give you one example of an easy mistake you want to do. You state (I want it to be a nice little EDC or Escape&Evasion). If the trigger overtravel screw mod is installed and it moves out of adjustment, which happens all the time (making itself tighter) the gun WILL NOT FIRE, until after you have been shot dead and somebody backs off the screw.

Keep with your initial plan to coat it with a non reflective coating. Get a good reasonable priced removable scope and enjoy the gun. Also remember it is only a .22 although it will kill it is not the first choice for a serious gun. I have one and I wouldn't ever get rid of it. however I would never think of using it in an emergency unless it was all that I had.

5. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

If you are looking at the gun not being shiny, I would stick with a blued, bull barrel. Composite stock, either fixed or side folder is fine. This Stock would allow a bit more personalization. Adds some rails for whatever accessories you think you need.

6. ZippoVarga

ZippoVarga Loaded Pockets

There are many "safe" modifications you can make to the rifle with out ever leaving home. Rimfirecentral is a good place to go to get ideas on what mods you think you may want, but as HSH said, some mods can hinder the shooters ability to fire the rifle at all, or cause the shooter to waste precious seconds finding the target through all the modifications. The 10-22 IS the most customized rifle out there. But it is an awesome rifle right out of the box. Some simple at home modifications can help the fire-ability of the rifle without compromising reliability. That is a key question to ask your self with each modification. Simple things like shimming the existing trigger group to eliminate side play, drilling the back of the receiver so you don't have to remove the barrel to clean the barrel. Unless you want to sight the rifle back in after each time you clean it...which would defeat the purpose. Polishing the bolt/slide, modifying the bolt release tab and things of this nature will help the rifle and user without running the risk of over modifying. If you want to modify to the moon, buy a second one to use for that purpose. They're inexpensive enough that you can typically get a good used 10-22 in stock form on gunbroker for 225-250 bucks. When I was a 11 years old I was picking off frogs after dark with a stock 10/22 carbine with a 2 C cell EverReady flashlight taped to the front of the stock at 25 yards with open sights. Put the "V" between their glowing eyes, level off till the "V" disappears, POP...Dinner! My 10/22 looks bone stock, but I'll fire it with the boys who have 1500 bucks wrapped up in their target match 10/22s and stay in the game long enough to be respected. I can see the advantage of a folding stock if it allows you to fire the rifle with out extending or folding it out. That's just my two cents worth, but I'm a conservative.

"Z"