1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1AA Backup Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ObiHann, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

So I changed mind again. I just ordered a Fenix E01 in olive green, and a 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical. Though, on paper, the NDI has more lumens, the Quark is cheaper, and everyone seems to be raving about them so, I figured I would give it a shot. It's not like this is the last flashlight I will ever buy so if it doesn't do what I need, I will just have to wait till I get a better one haha.

2. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Don't worry. Nitecore rates brightness differently than 4Sevens does. 4Sevens uses "Out The Front" (OTF) lumens and is fairly conservative in their ratings. Nitecore uses "Emitter" lumens, which doesn't take into account how much light is lost due to the reflector and lens. The Quark AA is about the same brightness as the NDI - the specs on paper can't be compared directly. I think you'll be happy with your decision.

3. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I figured as much, and I saved a fair bit of cash going with the quark too. Well have to wait and see :)

4. Garmann

Garmann Loaded Pockets

If you stick a 14500 cell in that single AA quark, your lumens will increase quite a bit. It uses the same head as the AA2 which puts 206 lumens OTF on max. As you probably already know you can purchase different bodys and make your AA into a AA2 or a 123 single cell. The voltage range for the head is (0.9V~4.2V)

5. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I had no clue I could get different bodies for the tactical AA, nor that it is a AA2 head! I think I will have to look at a Tactical AA2 body sometime in the future :)

6. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

If it was strictly for back up I would look at the Quark MINI or Nitecore EZAA. They are simple, have multiple levels, and are tiny. You barely notice they are there.

7. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I'm not a fan of the EZAA, I don't know why but, they just don't appeal to me. And When I was browsing through the Quark's, I liked the specs on the Tactical AA the most, never even glanced at the MINI to be honest.

8. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

They are pretty sweet. I have the Ti Neutral 123 and am very happy with it. 3 speed twisty with hidden strobe, SOS, and two beacons. I like the EZ for some reason. I have the CR2 model and it is a sweet size. I think the dimensions are very similar to the famous larry lights. Mine is actually with Milky right now getting an emitter upgrade. Only thing I didn't like was the CREE rings.

9. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

On 4Sevens website, some of the product descriptions for the NiteCores say torch lumens. The D10 doesn't, but the D20 says torch lumens.
    D20
    Any idea what's what?

10. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure what their exact system is, just that it doesn't seem to be nearly as conservative as what 4Sevens is using - based on them giving much higher brightnesses for lights that aren't any brighter than the lower rated 4Sevens offerings.

The problem is there are so many variables that effect the measurement, and I've never seen a company really specify all of them. Things like:
    • Is it an actual measurement, or is it theoretical, based either on the LED specs or the LED specs minus some percentage of reflector loss? Taking these measurements requires an Integration Sphere and don't be surprised that lots of companies are not truely making such a measurement
    • Is the whole light placed inside the integration sphere (IS) while measureing, or is just the very front inside the IS?
    • What type of batteries were used to take the measurement?
    • Were the batteries completely full to the brim, or drained down to a more nominal level?
    • Is the value Nominal? A maximum? A minimum? A very conservative minimum? LEDs vary a lot, so there will obviously be a variance in brightness between lights. If a company says "120 lumens" that could really mean "85-120 lumens" or "110-130 lumens" or "120-146 lumens" or "135-160 lumens" or whatever
    • How long was the light on before the measurement was taken? At what ambient temperature? LEDs get dimmer as they get hotter.
    • ...I'm sure there are a lot more.

Basically my point is that you can't directly compare lumens ratings from different companies except to just get a ballpark idea. A difference of 10 or 20 or 50 lumens is meaningless without both quantities being specified in the exact same way. I would hope Nitecore is at least being consistent so that you can compare their own lights, but there's no gaurentee of that.

Not to mention that differences in lumens aren't going to be very noticeable until the differences are pretty large, percentage-wise. A difference of 25% for example isn't that easy to see by eye. A difference of 100% (one light is twice as many lumens) is only somewhat noticeable, one will not appear twice as bright as the other due to how the eye works.

Anyway, that was a pretty big rant, but all I want to get across is that lumens numbers don't mean a whole lot except as a general ballpark comparison. I don't think it is wise to use them as the basis of picking between two similar lights.

11. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

One more vote for the Quark MiNi AA. I have a warm titanium one.

I am currently testing its run time, and I am impressed. At 1:58 it is still pumping out in high mode. My JetBeam E3P died at 1:03. I put a fresh battery in the E3P to compare it with the still running MiNi, and the MiNi appears about equally bright as the refreshed E3P! Crazy.

The stated run-time on high is 1.3 hours and I am just using a Sanyo Eneloop to power it.

The MiNi has a low mode that is supposed to run for several days. I find it bright enough for a lot of stumbling around in the dark needs.

Seems like a good backup light.

12. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Peace of mind is exactly right. Henry from Ra lights states on their site that because human eyes are logarithmic a 40% increase is the point at which a difference becomes noticeable. The only area where higher lumens helps is with throw. A 20% increase in output will allow you to see 9% further but may cost you as much as 50% of your runtime. If you look at Novatac for example there is no perceivable difference between an 85t and 120t. For more accurate comparative information look to reviews on CPF.

13. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

Update on Q-MiNi run times with Eneloop AA...

at 0:00, it is perhaps a little brighter than a JetBeam E3P.
    at 2:23, it still appeared as bright as a fresh JetBeam
    at 2:36, it was still bright, but starting to fade
    at 2:41, it was fading quickly

... of course this is only visual and eyes are funny instruments at judging luminosity. :)

Nonetheless, my particular sample of a Q-MiNi AA is very positive with regards to battery life.

14. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

4sevens did not simply rebrand CR123's. He has specified all the same safeties as used in cells produced in America, and according to some tests on CPF they perform right up there with SF and the other big brands. I have been using these cells with no problems for several months now.

15. zep_1

zep_1 Loaded Pockets

16. ryan34

ryan34 Empty Pockets

+1 for the inova x1 :iagree:

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

What worries me is that he's not there to keep a constant eye to make sure no cost cutting measures are taken. A single-cell CR123 light should be fine. I'm using the 4sevens brand CR123 cell that was provided with my Ti Quark Mini. With multi-cell lights, on a personal level, I'm not taking any chances.

18. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hannjeff_87/sets/72157623333737782/

Lights are here :) I gotta say, I'm liking them both. The Fenix E01 is a decent little light, brither than my 1xAAA mag light, about the same as my princeton tec coin cell light, but more study feeling. For the Quark it feels like a very solid light, its about as bright as I hoped / wanted, nothing stunning, nothing surprising, but, what I expected. I'm sure when I put a 14500 in it it will be much better. I like the two programable modes, however I wish it was easier to cycle through them without reprogramming the entire thing. Either way, great light.

19. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Another note, I think the NiteCore NDI is more of a "tactical" looking light, its more aggressive.