1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1911's and reliability

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by wanderer16, Jul 30, 2020.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I have a 1911 and I like it. A 1911 was the first handgun I was ever "issued" as a young Military Police officer in 1986. Since then I have carried a number of handguns in defense of my life as a police officer as well as a private citizen. I have found it to be an accurate weapon but not reliable enough in this day and age to bet my life on. I know a lot of people may disagree with that but that has been my experience. Out of all the semi-autos I have had any experience with the only semi-auto that I have less confidence in is the Walther PPK. I like them but I have had more malfunctions with them than with other semis except for Walther PPKs. I have never fired a full magazine with a PPK that without a malfunction. I have only fired three of them but that has been my experience. I have fired many 1911's and have had malfunctions with several. Just would hate for that to happen when I needed it.

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

1911 or rather 2011, is the preferred platform for IPSC open guns. The potential in that platform is awesome, but not many stock 1911s are built to that standard.
    In my experience, Les Baer is usually good out of the box, but cost an arm and a leg, at least on this side of the pond. BUL is probably one of the better budget alternatives.
    Thing is though. If you’re carrying more than you’re shooting, your money might be better spent elsewhere.

Ironically I’ve had no failures with my PPK yet :)
    I’ve only had it for 4-5 years, and it doesn’t see a ton of range time. Load up the mags carefully to avoid the rim catching on the next round. Seem to be the main issue with these in 7,65/.32 ACP. IIRC I traced it to be a decent mid 1950’s production. West German, Walther built. I was looking for a Manurhin produced one, but my patience got the better of me.

3. camjr

camjr Loaded Pockets

I've carried a Ruger SR1911CMD 4.25" 1911 since they came out years ago. I've had one failure to fire in that time over thousands of rounds, and that was due to a sideways seated primer in the cartridge, and nothing to do with the pistol. No feed issues with any of the JHP ammo I've fed through it (I go back and forth between Winchester 230gr PDX-1 and Hornady Critical Defense 220gr+p. I carry it every day. Like most things, just don't tinker with them too much. The only thing I've done to it is put on VZ slim grips to better fit my hands. I use Wilson 8rd mags.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

4. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I like how the 8rd mags carry, but usually there's a 10rd in close proximity. Admittedly, running a Government size 1911 with Streamlight TLR-1HL is basically a steel brick even without the +2, so I could see why you would use the 8rd.

5. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I am a big Ruger fan and have wondered about these. Its a good looking gun. I think I may need to change the recoil spring in mine.

6. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I’ve had a few Colts (Government, Command and a Defender) over the years that were good but not quite good enough (100% with ball ammo but never quite good enough with hollow points for my comfort level to carry). I admit I bought my Ruger SR1911 for the looks and I’ve had mine since 2015 and I got my Glock 17 Gen 4 a few months later and in about 3k rounds thru both I’ve had more failures with the Glock (2) than the Ruger (0). I have quite a few friends who I’d put in the gun snob category who shun Ruger as a low end manufacturer but I love Ruger and the SR1911 has blown me away with how good it performs for a sub $600 1911.

Fishin Fool likes this.
  7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I have a factory stock Para GI Expert. One of those 1911's that get very mixed reviews and perhaps a good amount of hate. The trigger isn't great, the sights aren't great and the finish is mediocre.

But it's plenty accurate and eats everything I feed it including some of the worst reloads I've ever made.

8. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

over the course of the first 25 or so years I shot USPSA practical matches, I shot a 1911 in .45acp exclusively, mostly single stack but a Para Ordnance at the end when I started shooting more 3 gun...I built a new gun about every 60,000 rounds, and a little more often at first was I was trying to solidify my preference... so I'd estimate about 300,000 rounds before switching to the Glock platform after a link break at Ft Benning in 2006... at that time I had to the best of my memory the following breakage...
    2 finger bushings before switching to a solid front bushing
    1 solid bushing
    1 aftermarket barrel split from chamber to 3/8" of the muzzle
    3 links that were properly fitted
    1 firing pin stop
    1 plunger tube loosen
    at least 1 slide stop

since switching to the Glock platform no firearm breakage, though I've seen a G34 slide crack... I had one incident when I struck a stage prop and knocked off the extended mag pad, dumping cartridges, spring and follower... regards Les

9. tacos3

tacos3 Loaded Pockets

I shoot 9mm 1911s in IDPA and the 2 I have are very reliable as long as you keep the extractor tensioned properly. A lot of people say the 9mm 1911s are less reliable. My experience is that if you run them wet, clean and tune the extractor they can run very reliably. I’ve had 2 malfunctions in about 12,000 rounds thru both my 2 identical guns.

I have 3 1911s in 45 but I don’t shoot them much to comment. They seem to run fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Berit

Berit Empty Pockets

I have never had nor have I ever seen a malfunction, much less consistent malfunctions with one of mine or my friends 1911's. I'm looking at a Sig c3 Army (They made green ones and called them that) sitting next to me as I type. During a time when people are threatening to burn down neighborhoods. In the 21st century, it should be the user and not the firearm that malfunctions.

11. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I have 5 1911's, including a 1944 Remington Rand. The others are a Norinco, Kimber CDP Compact, and two Springfields - a GI and a Loaded. I had some issues with the Loaded and the dealer sent it back to Springfield. The not only fixed the issue (I think it was FTE) but completely tuned the pistol and turned it into something a lot nicer than what I bought. I don't shoot competitively but if I did, the Loaded would be the gun of choice. Bottom line for me is that all my 1911's are quite reliable but I generally shoot hardball in them.

12. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

a "proper" throating with no metal removed further into the chamber than factory, correctly spaced about .100" in front of the feed ramp, and polished in the direction of cartridge movement, and top of the chamber polished

an aftermarket extractor with a properly radiused hook, both bottom and under front claw, full depth to over match the thickness of the cartridge rim, with the dog nut hump removed, and sprung from an oversized firing pin stop, with between 16 and 24 ounces on a Weigand pull gauge...should allow a dummy cartridge to slightly droop when extracted with slide locked open

fitted with a solid front bushing, and barrel lugs hard fitted with a link that allows the slide stop lever to freely swing back/forth, no slide but barrel and link installed in frame