1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rich105759, Apr 1, 2007.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Firearm nomenclature is probably the most messed up nomenclature around.

Some said they didn't know if 1911's were 9mm

I understand there the confusion can come in. The .38 acp and the higher pressure .38 super are both 9mm. The short .380 is also a 9mm. The .38 special revolver and the .357 magnum revolver cartridge is a 9mm. 35 Remington, .356 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, .350 Remington Magnum and .358 Norma Magnum are all rifle cartridges and are also 9mm.

When people say 9mm today they are usually referring to the 9x19 also known as 9mm nato, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum.

In addition there is the 9x23 (one of my favorites) 9x25, 9mm largo, 9mm Bergmann-Baynard, and the .357 Sig.

Several of these cartridges can easily work in a 1911 but the only ones to me that makes sense to me are the 23mm cased ones.

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I take one thing back. If you shorten the grip frame of a 1911 by 4mm then I think the 19mm length family of cartridges do make sense in a 1911.

3. fubar

fubar Empty Pockets

Stock , plain vanilla Para Ord. I find it to be my favorite for the range and am EDCing it more often than my compacts. Must be getting old. :)

[img width=640 height=423]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/alexfubar/DCP_3228.jpg[/img]

4. A7D

A7D Empty Pockets

Para Ordinance LDA has the sweetest trigger out of all my 1911's

5. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

LDA is not a 1911 it only looks like a 1911, M1911's are single actions.

6. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

I have a Taurus 1911 for now. My dream gun is to have a Wilson Combat one day.

[img width=640 height=425]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/srmatlock/Jaster/3-2.jpg[/img]

7. BeerGuy

BeerGuy Loaded Pockets

Ah, not true my friend, there was a beautiful Kimber Custom TLE/RL for sale last week, in MA. You're just not looking in the right places......

PM sent.

8. chriscoobs

chriscoobs Empty Pockets

I am 1 inch away from buying a 1911 and recently decided to visit a few local gun shops to look before i ordered the gun either online or from a shop. I went to 2 large gun shops in my area and got the worst vibe when i began talking to him about 1911's. The first shop had a huge selection of Kimbers and when I asked him for his personal opinion of the gun he said "they are all good clones" in a very condescending tone, speaking about 1911's in general. I got the impression that in his opinion if i didnt buy a 1911 made in 1911 or a totally custom 1911 from a gunsmith i was a tool. The next shop i went to was a little smaller but still a quality shop, when i came in and started asking about 1911's the owner totally shut down talking and answered questions with little interest and had no desire to make a sale. I had to almost beg to get a quote for a Kimber stainless TLE 2 and have not gotten a call back in 2 days from him. Am i missing something or are gun shops in my area just jerks??

9. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

Chris,

My guess is just that you came across some guys who are just about either certain Brands on guns. Don't give up and keep looking. You can always do a internet search on most models of handguns.

I have been lucky to go to a gun shop that will sell you what you want. They don't push a certain model or call all other ones crap.

Their loss on the sale, it's about customer service. Local stores should know by now, you can always buy it somewhere it else.

10. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

That's too bad, in this day an age I would think anyone is willing to wheel and deal and make sure the customer is totally satisfied with what they want. And the one person you would want to ask about purchasing a 1911 would be a firearms dealer right?

Any gun dealer within 30 miles of me were not willing to wheel and deal to give me a better deal than the other guys so I just dropped it all together and went to a friend that is a city cop and he is going to get me a glock 30 brand new for cost of what the police station would get them for.

Now I just have to wait because I guess there is a lot of gun orders/low production due to the economy/new government officials coming in so it's extremely hard to purchase glocks and get them the next week. It's more along the lines of months of getting a glock right now.

I due suggest you keep trying, try to wheel and deal with them, get quotes and don't take no for an answer. Maybe even ask someone else that works there?

Goodluck, 1911's are all good but I would go with Kimber more than anything, can;t go wrong with a cheaper model made by I believe they're called Rock Island Armory.

11. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I'm going to ruffle some feathers here but hey its the internet :laugh:

Kimber used to turn a quality product for a price but a few years back the boutique semi-custom (ie Wilson and Nighthawk) 1911 market blew up. Kimber was the sleeper 1911 most of the features of the $3000 guns but less than half the price. Unfortunately in their rush to keep up with demand they have been putting out lesser quality guns. 6 or 7 years ago they were a steal today not so much. I'm not saying they are crap what I am saying is they just no longer deserve the price they are getting.

That being said there are great 1911's in every price range. If your budget is more than $500 and less than a $1000 and since you reside in Kalifornia I would recommend a single stack Para-Ordnance 1911. I have owned and shot many of their Limited series and can tell you out of the box the quality is high and the fit and finish unmatched outside of a custom.

If your budget is more consider a Colt still the Omega of production 1911 pistol. If your budget is considerably more ($2500+) I recommend a Robar Thunder Ranch :notworthy:

One day one of those sexy beasts will call my safe home.

Hope I helped and didn't upset anyone.

12. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

I love my Springfield Loaded 1911 and wouldnt be happier with ANYTHING else LOL

13. SoloTwo

SoloTwo Empty Pockets

My current fav. ;D

[img width=640 height=480]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/SoloTwo/Kimber/01_a_b_c.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/SoloTwo/Kimber/02_c_a_b.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/SoloTwo/Kimber/03_c_a_b-1.jpg[/img]

14. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I prefer the Colt's Govt or Commander. My first custom by Armand Swenson built on a Series 70 remains my favorite of the twenty or so Colt's I've owned over years.

I use the term "1911" as reference to the platform, not the cartridge.

My son's 1911 Military Model by USFA is one of the nicest I've seen in years. The period correct finish reminds me of the pre-war Colt's.

15. heck333
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

My favorite 1911 is my Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail.

Sorry for the poor quality pic... I only had the camera on my phone available.

Greg

[​IMG]

16. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

There are no bad 1911s. The one I have is a Rock Island Armory, milspec. The only change I've made was to swap out the cocobolo wood grips for rubber wraparounds, with a friction surface on the forestrap.

17. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

I've been trying to trade my XD .45 for a 1911 for a bit now. Ideally a Gunsite CCO but that seems unlikely. I'd settle for a Dan Wesson Bobtail (did they make those in Al? Been too long since I did the research) or any smallish but not tiny good quality variant.

Sold a lot of Kimbers when I worked in a gun shop, they never really did it for me. I'd love an Ed Brown 4.25incher but will realistically never be able to afford one. Even moreso for one of Hilton Yam's guns.

18. walters76

walters76 Empty Pockets

My 1911. Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II. I put an ambi safety on and that's it (i'm a lefty). I'd like to have a custom made 1911, but I really can't see how much better a $2000+ 1911 could be over this one. The flashlight is a Surefire G3 and the leather is H.B.E. leatherworks

[​IMG]

[img width=640 height=503]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/erics76/hbefront.jpg[/img]

19. Helstar

Helstar Loaded Pockets

Springfield Loaded

20. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

I don't know about favorite i only have one a SA 1911-A1 great handgun good natural pointer 15yd and under i don't even need the sights. It points almost as good as my Pietta 1851 44cal black powder pistol.

Mike