1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1911 holster & grips?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 12, 2020.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. This was my grandfather's. I'd like to keep the grips he picked out (they're not the stock grips) and replace them with nice g10 grips. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want cheapie. Also, do they make form fitted (not kydex) leather holsters for this gun specifically? I don't know much about 1911's, I EDC a vp9 currently among a few other striker fired guns. Help!
    [​IMG]

2. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Don Hume leather.
    And G-10!is really not bad on price. If you want another choice, try magpul grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

4. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

5. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I've made several 1911 grips in the past. They are about the easiest out there to do with even simple hand tools.

There is a huge aftermarket for 1911s. Shouldn't be hard to find something you like.

6. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Is that considered a compact 1911?

7. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

A lot of leather holster-makers represent the classic 1911: Galco, Mitch Rosen, and Milt Sparks to name but a few. Several aftermarket sources for G10 grips. VZ Grips, and Stoner are a couple, along with Mil-Tac.

These are some Mil-Tacs (Code Z's), I mounted on my Kimber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some VZ's, I mounted on my Browning Hi-Power. Lots of different designs, and textures:

[​IMG]

Stoner Grips: https://www.stonercnc.com/1911-g10grips

VZ Grips: https://vzgrips.com/platforms/pistols/1911/1911-fullsize/

Mil-Tac Grips: http://store.mil-tac.com/1911governmentbeveledg10grips.aspx

ran23 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The 1911 Commander is considered somewhat of a "compact" model. It has a 4.25" barrel but retains the full-size grip. Over many years, there have been other models by several makers that offered variations of a compact model.

One of the earliest offerings was by Detonics. They made a 3-inch version with a short, single stack grip that had a magazine with a 5-round capacity. I carried one between 1980-1983 as a backup. It had a brief brush with fame when Detective Sergeant James "Sonny" Crockett of the TV show Miami Vice carried one in an ankle holster during the first season in 1984. This variant is all stainless steel and would have been quite a challenge to carry it on the ankle for more that an hour for me. It now resides in my private vault.

The other 3-inch barrel model in my inventory is a ParaOrd model Warthog. I acquired this model during the mid-1990s as a primary carry sidearm when working in extreme close quarters such as in a large vehicle (aircraft, train, bus). Mine has the lightweight aluminum frame that houses an astounding 10-round magazine. (There is an all-stainless version that is a real beast to carry.) I have extensively "smithed" mine so that the trigger releases at 6-lbs; heavier than typical 1911s. A Wolff mainspring is custom-selected to work with lightweight, high-velocity 125-grain .45 custom hollow points loaded to achieve 1250-1300 fps in that short barrel.

I have had some custom leather 1911 holsters made over the last 50 years. One of the most notable was made by Charles "Chic" Gaylord for my Detonics. That holster is also in my vault. Gaylord's designs are still made my Bell Charter Oak Custom Holsters.

I typically carry my Warthog in a Milt Sparks Versamax IWB leather holster. I carry a "bobbed" Commander-size 1911 in a Brommeland Leather MaxCon V. I WEAR my full-size 1911 in an Andrews Leather IPSC Saddle Holster.

My commander and full-size 1911s wear Alumagrips. I prefer their low-profile models.

Captdave13 likes this.
  9. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

I’ve always had good luck with Ken Null horsehide holsters.

0dBm likes this.