1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

18650 light with a SCREW ON CLIP

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Evil D, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Man, what is the deal with these flimsy snap on pocket clips? I just got a TC12 V2 and the clip just doesn't get the job done. I will say it snaps onto the light very tightly, but the contact patch under the clip is extremely small, it doesn't press against the light very hard so it doesn't pinch your pocket very tight, and I just managed to snap it in half trying to bend it to increase the pinching strength (my fault, but it does seem that the clip is made out of tin foil).

At this point I just do not feel comfortable buying and carrying a light with this style of clip. The only brand I've found who makes a light in this size with a screw on clip is Zebra, but I also greatly prefer a tail switch. Anyone know of another brand/light that uses a 18650 cell, has ~1k lumen and good throw with a real pocket clip?

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am with you I don't trust any of the clips I have used that do not screw on.

Another way to do this though is with the clips that screw down under the tail cap.
    This way almost any light that is SF 6P sized can have a great clip too!
    This is a cheap Solarforce host with the Solarforce clip which is not going to go anywhere you might lose it when attached to a light.

I usually carry a ZL though myself.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david57strat likes this.
  3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That looks like a much stronger clip than this Thrunite came with. Will my TC12 accept one of those? Where can I find one?

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of those solarforce clips too. They are tough and if you do manage to break em they are easily (and cheaply) replaceable. I purchased mine for about 5 bucks shipped from china (i think aliexpress). Do make sure they fit your light if you purchase one.

Edit; Inner diameter on the mounting ring on mine is about 22,5mm, OD 25.3mm and thickness 1.25mm.

5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm an absolute noob to this light stuff. How do I even figure out if it fits? Will it screw up the water tightness or anything like that?

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I just edited my post for some measurements so you can check if it would fit your light.

Waterproofness should usually not be compromised, the clip will sit 'outside' of the o-ring that seals the light up on most models.

7. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So I took your advice and ordered one of these. Still not 100% sure it'll even fit but for $6 it's worth a little Dremel grinding if need be. They sure do take their sweet arse time shipping though. :unsure:

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Who is they exactly?

9. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

We're in the same boat. I really like the solid feel of the Solarforce clips. I can't imagine ever breaking one, but they would be easy and inexpensive to replace - along with all of their other parts. I haven't yet needed to replace any of their parts, and I have twenty of their hosts :)

Below are a couple of L2Ms, with their stainless clips:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually use the clips as anti-roll devices, rather than clips. They work beautifully.

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too!
    They work great on any light that is Surefire 6P Diameter even if a little off sometimes.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and david57strat like this.
  11. david57strat

I think he may be referring to Solarforce HK. I've purchased numerous hosts and parts from them, and they usually take a couple of weeks for delivery; but at those prices, they're well worth the wait :).

#11 david57strat, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. david57strat

What hosts are those clips mounted on? Are those Zebralight S600 Mk II L2s? I tried mounting a Solarforce cilp on my L2, but it wouldn't make contact.

Did you have to Dremel down the thickness of the clip a little bit, to make it work?

Last edited by david57strat, Mar 13, 2018
    #12 david57strat, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Close,
    The one standing is an SC80 and the other is an original SC600w

I lay a ring of thin solder inside the tail cap instead of any grinding and it works well.
    Once they have been i there a bit they don't seem to move or fall out at all.

14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So guys be patient because I'm clueless with this light stuff but if this clip doesn't fit my TC12 what are my options for making it work besides grinding out the hole bigger? If that won't work are there any other options? Won't I need to do do something to make the coil contact the battery inside?

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What the grinding does is make sure that the body tube makes contact with the tail cap where the spring base is so that the light has a complete circuit to ground.
    When putting the thickness of the new clip in between some lights no longer make this electrical contact as it is interrupted by the new space the clip introduces.

Grinding the Tail Cap slightly about the thickness of the clip is one way to remake this connection so that when the body tube is screwed into the Tail Cap it will them contact the spring base in the cap.

Or grinding a little anodizing off of the threads on the body tube so the tail can make electrical contact even not touching the spring directly.

Instead of this I take a small coil of Solder and place it around the inside edge of the tail cap where the body tube would normally bottom out when the two are screwed together and this restores the connection usually.

This took longer to type clearly than it does to put together too and if you have a problem with the clip there and do not understand what I have just explained I can put a pic up if needed.

Just let me know.

Last edited by EZDog, Mar 15, 2018
    #15 EZDog, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeeeah let's just say I need the pic lol

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

All you need to do is coil some solder at the base of the spring so the edge of the body tube touches it when screwed tight.

The Spring needs to touch the body tube edge is the deal and it might not now because of the clips thickness.

Did you try the light with the clip yet to see if this even matters?

I am not somewhere I have a light handy to show you right now.

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Not yet, don't even have the clip yet, I'm just over analyzing it trying to get a plan in my head. I did notice that if I unscrew the tail cap to where it looks like it would be with this clip on, obviously the light didn't work so I assumed it was the coil not contacting the battery inside.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The coil is not contacting the edge of the body tube not the battery,the whole idea of the coil is that it will touch the battery from much farther away than this.
    The contact is broken between the edge of the body tube to the base of the coil.

If you take the tail off the tube you will see that this edge is the only part of the tube not anodized black?
    The anodizing is what stops the entire tube thread area from making this connection only letting the edge make connection.

20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

OK wow I feel dumb now lol. I wasn't seeing that the tail cap was connecting to the rest of the light body inside, I was just focusing on the coil contacting the battery. So the solder you're talking about, do you just put it on the base of the coil in the tail cap?