1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

180° Flip in EDC Philosophy

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by firefly.serenity, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I have been saying this for years. I even posted an article on this forum about this very topic. Welcome to the world of high quality gear.

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

My Dad useta say: "There's never time to do it right,but there's always time to do it twice."

He also told someone once:"It's okay if you buy your beef calves from the man down the road,because his are cheaper.No hard feelings.He knows what his are worth!"

Through over 40 years of testing these theories as related to EDC & tools in general,I firmly agree with firefly.serenity,tower,Tradecraft et al:

Buy the absolute best you can find...even if you gotta 'run whatcha brung' until you can save up for it.

3. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

In a follow-up, I want to point out that "high-quality" and "expensive" are certainly not synonymous or leading, and one might even argue that they have a minor, if actually at all, causal relationship. Quality is almost entirely subjective (how many of us cherish a film that has been panned by "critics?") and should not *always* be expected when paying an enormous amount of money for an item. Some of my most dependable possessions hardly broke the bank, and I can think of many, many examples where an expensive piece has failed me in some way or another.

All of what you all have stated here matters - it's about craftsmanship, attention-to-detail, customer service, warranties, quality of materials used, etc. It's not about what the very best is, it's about what the very best is for you and your needs. Knives come immediately to mind with regard to this community - I have seen knives from $10 to well over $1,000 here and I wonder which one "the best" is. Well, I just bought a Gerber (gasp! A Gerber? The Horror!) which I know is not so highly esteemed as other products. But you know what? It suits my needs PERFECTLY. In my ever-so-humble opinion, it's the highest quality knife that I can buy, taking into great consideration what my needs are.

This applies to everything - talk about liquor, cars, the opposite sex - so my philosophy is that I will buy the very best that I can afford that (a) falls within my parameters for necessity and (b) meets the stipulations outlined above.

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm off to buy an Aston Martin. :)

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't forget to keep us posted with pics and don't forget the secondary forums for finding stuff. Currently, all my folders except one were pre-owned, same goes for most of my gear and outerwear. Start a rainy day fund so you can pull the trigger if a good deal should come up.

5. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

So this guy Murphy is your friend - he makes you aware of what could go wrong, which could save your life and those of others.

Murphy is helping you. He is your friend. Maybe you should take him to dinner.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I like that - I may use that next time a customer points out that some of our competitors offer lower prices on some services.

7. jimspriggs500

jimspriggs500 Empty Pockets

You get what you pay for. I am always amused by my friends who laugh and scoff at my $500 backpack (MR CrewCab) but will not hesitate to spend $1000 or more on a new laptop, iPad or cellphone when the one they have is less then a year old. My pack will still be here in 30 years' time it's that well built. (My PC is 5 years old, and I don't have a tablet). I suppose trends and fashion are more important?.

8. firefly.serenity

As a proud owner of a brand-new Goruck GR1, I am right there with you. :)

9. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Hey, cheap gear is better then no gear. :)

Everybody has their idea of what they will spend for a quality product. When I was at Kunsan AB, Korea I was spreading the good word of Spyderco. One gentlemen I knew wanted a knife, I showed him my Endura and Delica, and he asked how much they cost(back in the day they were $40 at the PX/BX) he said that was too much. So I told him they had some other choices that were less. In his room he had a $1000 Bose stereo system. The rooms were not that big, the Wave radio would have been overkill, but that was where he saw quality, in the Bose system(which did sound great), and I saw it in a $40 Spyderco.

Buy what you like and our comfortable with, don't buy something cause everyone else does, try gear out, sell it, trade it, buy some more. Have fun with this "hobby" of preparedness.

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Gnarly, that reminds me of an anecdote which my late dad once shared with me. It may not be very relevant for this topic, but I thought it was cute and bears repeating.

A fellow walks into a gas station and says to the owner "You've got one helluva lotta nerve charging $3.00 for Hi-Test when Joe down the street sells his for $2.50."

The proprietor politely queries, "So why don't you buy it from Joe?"

The irate customer says, "Joe is out of Hi-Test right now."

To which the proprietor calmly retorts, "We only charge $2.00 when we're out of it."

The customer leaves scratching his head.

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

This just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser.

12. slowburn

slowburn Loaded Pockets

I just had a conversation with an apprentice at work today in which the argument was about why should she pay for high quality (not expensive) tools to use on the the job when she could buy very cheap, and low quality,and get by for the short term. I find it had to understand why anyone who works hard, and takes pride in what they build would want to do it with tools that are clearly made by a company that couldn't care less if they make a quality product. I admit to purchasing a few cheap tool when it suits me and the task at hand but if it has to work hard (hammers), or has to be accurate (tape measures, layout square), then there is no excuse I can hear then will make any sense to buying something that is less reliable or doesn't work as hard as you.

13. firefly.serenity

Ha ha, tower. NOT what I meant, but hey, if we're buying, you get what you pay for.

14. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets