1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

16340 Storage Time without recharging

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mikeylikesit5805, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys,

I just got an Olight S1 Baton as my EDC light, and I decided to get 4 more 16340's to keep in rotation for emergencies.

I have them in a box in my EDC bag, how often will I need to recharge them if I don't use them? I want to keep them ready to go.

2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I rotate three 18650s on a monthly basis, and after sitting two months, they're always in the 4.1-4.2 volt range. I also have a 14500 light that I forgot to recharge once, and it lasted two months (5 min/day usage) after sitting on a shelf for a month.

So, a top-off every other month sounds good to me. You can make two groups and do the A group in January, the B group in Feb, etc.

Since you have so many cells on hand, you're in a unique place to do an experiment :D

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

You should use CR123 Li primaries for storage and 16340 rechargeables for daily usage. After heat, high voltages (peak charge and average) are the biggest stress factors for these cells. A 16340 stored at 100%/4.2V will permanently lose ~20% of its capacity per year (see Battery University "how to prolong lithium ions...."). Also, Lithium-ions are on a clock.... they age (and lose performance/capacity) whether you use them or not. Not that you can't store them (they self-discharge quite slowly), but it's not what they're made for and just a waste of money and a good cell.

4. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Guys!

I actually have 10 CR123's in my home emergency box. I was just curious how often my "Daily" batteries could sit idle. But it looks like I will keep them in a monthly rotation.

Thanks everyone.

5. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

So say you guys are using a pair of batteries for your daily use in a single cell light. Do you just go ahead and charge them both and store one until the cell in the light is empty? Or just charge one at a time as needed?

6. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I have three rcr123s and I keep one on my keychain in a capsule and the third on at home. When my current cell in my light can't hold the high mode I'll switch to my keychain backup and put the cell at home on my keys and charge the dead cell.

7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I charge one at a time, just before they are ready to use and typically have just one free cell by size (16340 or 14500) at home. I swap batts out a ~3.8V (~40% remaining), and the depleted cell becomes the free cell in storage until needed/charged again. I can rig my lights to run on any battery, so between a primary back-up cell, my other EDC gadgets, and store-bought, I have plenty of back-up power options.

I'm more OCD with non-removeable/replaceable Li-ions (ie, smartphone/tablet). I charge them on a light timer cycling ~80-30-80, and between 6-8am, or just before I wake/start using them. Costs me a few seconds (if I need to adjust the timer), but it minimizes both peak and average voltages.

cityofthesouth likes this.
  8. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Thank you! I just started using RCR123s - now if I can just do it right...

9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I keep my li-ions at full charge all the time. As some mentioned they drain very slowly and like them i charge at about 80% with a low mah setting. Usually at about 25% of the capacity per hour (750 mah = give/take 200mah or .2a).

Buying a couple CR123 primaries every few years might be a better path for a light like the S1 that does so well on them. (I adore mine :) )

10. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

This. The key for me is to find them for cheap enough locally to make it worthwhile. Luckily my local gear store has Surefires for $2 apiece, and a 24-pack for $21. If it weren't for that, I'd have to buy them at Radio Shack for $10 each, or through the internet and probably pay shipping and have to wait.

Blerv likes this.
  11. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Check out BatteryJunction for CR123's

12. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Not sure about internationally but in the US you can also get them from Amazon Prime at about $2 each.

13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I top off most of my RCR123's in my S10R whilst working at my desk/PC, during the course of a day I can do most of mine.

14. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Sadly I just don't buy enough stuff online for us to justify a Prime membership. Plus I would rather just go to the store and fondle some knives and harass the knife guys when I need batteries. :D

Blerv likes this.