1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

154CM - CTS-BD1 (BM's steel vs CS's steel)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SkepticalTactical, Jun 5, 2016.

?

154CM or CTS-BD1

1. 154CM > CTS-BD1

50.0%
  2. 154CM < CTS-BD1

50.0%
  3. CPM-20CV > CTS-XHP

25.0%
  4. CPM-20CV < CTS-XHP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. BM's customer service < Cold Steel's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BM's customer service > Cold Steel's

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SkepticalTactical

SkepticalTactical Empty Pockets

Hello!

I have been browsing my local knife shop's website for a while now (lamnia.com, also international). I have established this fact on a previous thread but for the everybody else I'm a student who's main source of money are chores and good grades.

Cold Steel's knives folders especially have a reputation of being strong and long-lasting. Benchmade is also a company that has same characteristics as Cold Steel but maybe more better in the customer service-department than CS.

They both have great selection of knives and both have a consumer and a "premium" model of a folder, first models that come to mind is 551 and it's "upgraded" model 551-1 and Voyager and a Voyager with CTS-BD1.

Benchmade's consumer and "premium" knives have a larger gap in-between than Cold Steel's. On lamnia.com 551's price is 111€ (shipping included) and it's premium model has a price difference of about 100€ which makes it a 201€. I asked if G-10 handle scales and CPM-20CV is worth of 100€ and most members said that no, it isn't. Cold Steel's Voyager (large) sells at about 90€ but the website doesn't sell the AUS-8-version.

This is a very fragmented question but bear with me.

If I buy a "normal" 551, can I replace the blade afterwards? If the blade damages BM's customer service said that it'll be replaced or resharpened, depending on the damage.

If I buy a Cold Steel Voyager which has a CTS-BD1, is it as good, better or worse than 154CM? Is Cold Steel's warranty service same as Benchmade's?

Tl;dr: Is 154CM as good/better/ worse than CTS-BD1? Is Cold Steel's customer service as good as Benchmade's?

ps: I'm not a native english speaker so there may be some portions of text where I just ramble. Feel free to answer this mess of a thread with many answers as you can.

2. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

Benchmade do offer a blade replacement service. I think it's $30 USD for a satin blade or $40 USD for a black coated one. As far as I'm aware, they're one of the few who will replace blades, and I believe their customer service is amongst the most praised of all the knife brands I've come across. I have no idea about Cold Steel. I've never looked into them or their products at all. I have, however, dealt with Spyderco, and have been extremely satisfied with their customer service.

I can't really help with steel formulations and which is better. From the little I've read about them, consensus seems to be that they're very similar.

Last edited by 017, Jun 5, 2016
    SkepticalTactical likes this.
  3. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have experience with CS's customer service not their BD1 steel. I have experience with Benchmade and it's a good one. I 'ordered' them a deep carry pocket clip and they just send it to me (note: I live in Europe and payed $0). The 154CM is in my experience a relatively soft steel, it' easier to sharpen and if used a bit more, it will roll instead of chip, witch is a bonus if your knife sharpening skills and/or your equipment are in lower level.
    Also, generally I don't like CS because of their 'BUY OUR PRODUCTS' politics and because all their knives are mostly bigger than a regular pocked EDC knife and the bigger issue (for me, as maybe the biggest selling point) is the hollow grind that they use in 99% in their knives.

4. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm no steel expert, but CTS BD-1 >= 154 but it's close. I have a MiniGrip with 154CM and my Manix has BD-1 so I own both. As with most steels, both have pros and cons. I also own a CS with CTS-XHP.

I've never had to deal with BMs or CSs customer service, so I can't answer that question. I sharpen my own knives, I've never considered swapping out blades, and I don't mod my knives.

Either steel of BD-1 or 154CM is a good steel and should serve you well. The chances of you beating the crap out of BD-1 and/or 154CM and saying, "Gosh I need a better steel" is probably slim when it comes to the average EDC tasks that most people encounter. The Axis lock and Triad lock are both good locks too.

The only knock I have against the Voyager is the handle profile. It has the big finger groove at the front and a small one at the back. I have a big hand and it doesn't "feel great" to me. Of course, how a knife fits in your hand is different for each person. The shape of the 551 handle is more "universal" and might be "safer".

5. SkepticalTactical

SkepticalTactical Empty Pockets

Thank you 017 and IHateBottleOpeners for taking the time to answer!

Edit: you too gazz98!

6. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Benchmade will only replace the blade with the same one that came in the knife. I had a new 551 Grip with a Tanto and wanted the Drop Point and they stated that the program was only to fix broken knives and they could only install what came from the factory.

In the end I sold the 551 and bought the G10 551-1. It's personal pref but the grips and slight width, weight, etc changes were worth the difference to me. I'm quite sure the 551 would have been more than enough.