1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

15 posts first?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Brazito, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

15 posts just means you have to take an active interest in the forum before you can take advantage of some of its features - if this is a forum you have any interest in then 15 posts should fly by without realising. Even if you are a quiet guy, it just takes a short while of taking part in threads - asking questions and adding opinions.
    If anything it also forces you to actually read the forum, get an idea of what it is like and the membership.

Stopping you receiving PM's is just part of this - I guess partly to make sure you stay out of buy/sell/trade for the allotted time and stopping you contacting members on the side about deals (obviously to prevent people signing up only to scam people trying to buy or sell items), and also to prevent you sending out mass spam through the PM system.

If posting a whole 15 times before you are allowed the privilege of certain features is an issue to you and something to complain about, to be honest you probably sound like something of a selfish and self centred person, and really not the type that fits in around here - genuinely one of the most community minded and helpful forums on the internet...

2. four20

four20 Empty Pockets

this is a shameless attempt at bumping my post total ;D

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The forum is getting ready to move to different software after some custom applications are built. All attachments would be lost after the move so better to have remote hosting. After the move we will look at attachments but I have a small worry on attachments.

When people on really large active forums post a hot link to an image on a smaller forum it can have an effect on the smaller forum. I do get complains from time to time from other places about their images being hotlinked over here. If we are hosting an image I have no idea the effect if that image is popular and hotlinked to a down really large forums with tons of traffic. I am going to have to ask a lot of questions and see what it would do to us.

4. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

As with any site, you'll suffer a /. effect and might go down for a bit. Unfortunately not an awful lot that can be done about something like that other than throwing hardware at it or riding out the storm.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have been trying to get an idea of how much more of a server we would need. We may continue having images remotely hosted after the move until I get an idea on the imporved resource utilization after the move. We might have to break up some of the super threads for this to work as well.

6. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

I think it's best not to worry about hosting locally for the moment, it's a feature add that can come at a later date, it's not as if people will be put out any further than they already are by the lack of it when you cut over. No matter how much hardware / money you put behind it there will always be something that can result in the site getting more traffic than it can handle :)

7. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

some control panels have an option to block hotlinking (cpanel does). that method may be good enough to solve the problem.

8. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

i've ran many forums and sites and there are too many losers out there with nothing better to do

9. homebrw

homebrw Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to hit my 15 as well, and have only posted what I thought were useful questions or answers, but since someone broke the spades suit already, I'll reply to this with my one shameless post to get closer to 15.

On a side note, I wouldn't change a thing about this forum. It is the most well thought out, useful and friendly forum I frequent.

Chris

10. jjhutchinson

jjhutchinson Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info...this is part of my quest to the magical 15....will get my camera out and post pics of my EDC next.

11. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

If you guys keep that up, we'll have to make it so that this section of the forum doesn't increase post count either...

Seriously, once you folks do get to the BST and post something for sale, or maybe just try to buy or trade something, the other party is likely to be a little wary. Not because of you personally, it's just normal for people to be a little suspicious of strangers when money is involved and we are all strangers on the internet. Especially everyone with less than 100 posts. So most people will take a look at your posting history just to see what kind of stuff you have posted, and maybe try to figure out what kind of person you seem to be. Well, if they find these "just trying to make it to 15" posts, do you think that's going to make them trust you? Personally, I'd be a little suspicious.

12. huntex

huntex Loaded Pockets

Shameless attempt to get my post up too. Sorry.

13. burs757

burs757 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the initial restrictions. And by stating this here I'm one post closer to not being affected by them :naughty: Also I'm demonstrating that yes, people DO actually read the FAQ / Rules n Regs. threads!

14. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

This should be a warning for all of you new members:

I know that if I was to use the BST area & came across another member who's posts included a variation of "I want to get my post count up so I can use BST" I would more than likely pass on doing a transaction with them.

15. wesman

wesman Empty Pockets

i ge that alot also

16. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I think it took me about 10 minutes to get to 15 posts, but I'm excited about the topic.

17. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I too have moderated a couple of forums, and clearly remember the constant battle with spammers and other ne'er do wells.. It got to the point where all my time was moderating posts, warning rule breakers, and trying to shut down flame wars.

And I completely agree with the idea that posts in the Welcome forum should not count towards post counts. THat was on trick I have seen many spammers do, simply sit in the introduction forum and reply every post to every post with ' Hi <insert username here>, welcome to <insert forum name here> ' until they hit their intended post count. Had to watch that trick though, there were a few members that did that without ulterior motives, the 'greeters' we used to like to call them.

What first brought me here was a google search brought up an item in the BST section that I was looking for at the time. After spending a couple hours browsing around he place to see if it was worth signing up for, I discovered many interesting topics and discussions going on, including a couple that I simply had to comment on.

after signing up and replying, and more reading, and more replying, I neglected to get back to the item I was looking for. By time I finally did, it had been sold already. hahah. But doesn't matter, that item may be gone but I am still here.

15 posts is bloody simple to accumulate, at least it was for me. Sitting around 30-ish right now, and still haven't visited all the sections here. Looks like I am going to be hanging around for a while yet...

18. stripedsnake

stripedsnake Loaded Pockets

Kinda of annoying - I see the reasoning, but when trying to gather information before posting a well thought out post, it does get in the way.
    Here is to another post to add to the total...

19. steed77

steed77 Loaded Pockets

Woot... this is my 15 post. Actually, I was on here before the forum changeover and my username and post count was lost. I was one of the lucky 15-20 folks that were deleted. All is good, been lurking for along time.

20. cerbera147

cerbera147 Loaded Pockets

Here's another two potential sellers / buyers to avoid :brickwall: