1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

14500 ...is there another name?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Norseman, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

How come I don’t really see any deals that catch my eye on Amazon?

Are these called something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What exactly are you asking about?
    Batteries or lights?

What light are you using them for if batteries?

Why Amazon?

3. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Yeah asking about batteries. I need them for my Fenix and a ThorFire (both take 14500 batteries). Right now I just have one that came with my Fenix. The reason I use amazon is I have prime and don’t pay shipping, and I like to read reviews.

4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Lithium-ion batteries are commonly sold by size, first two numbers indicate diameter, last three length. There is more to it then that, but basically that is naming convention in a nutshell.

Some issues with shopping Amazon for batteries. First the search engine they use kind of sucks, and oftentimes likes to interpret your search using past history, and does not always give you the results you want.

Second and more important is Amazon tends to sell crappy Li-on batteries, often the cheapest China cells that can be had, and lastly the third party sellers(not always, but typically) sell the same over-rated low quality cells sometimes even re-wrapping low quality batteries with quality branded wraps. When I first started using Li-ion batteries I shopped that way, many times got DOA, and low quality.

Example, multiple search strings on Amazon yielded maybe 6 different 14500 batteries. of them 5 claimed totally unrealistic capacity 2500 and 2600mAh capacity. commonly real actual capacity will be 500-700 ish mAh. RED FLAG batteries with outlandish capacity claims. My searches found one set which had realistic specs but a bit overpriced likely due to onboard charging Nicron NRB-L750 750mAh

Some sellers on Amazon are good to go, most not so much. Skyben, orbtronic, are a couple I can think of off-hand

Li-ion batteries are one thing you should NOT cheap out on, or shop simply for convenience. Use a reputable source for batteries. You'll not get crappy re-wraps, and typically they'll offer better choices. Not to mention the nature of the battery can be dangerous (quite literally) to your well being.

I'd really suggest shopping at a reputable battery seller not the only choices but a couple decent ones not only will you get better quality batteries, but even without free shipping they will be comparably priced.

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries.html?___store=default&battery_size=286

https://liionwholesale.com/pages/search-results-page?q=14500

https://www.imrbatteries.com/14500-batteries/

Norseman likes this.
  5. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

I might also mention, I was just shopping for some higher drain 14500s for a Lumintop GT Micro I have inbound. I'll be ordering 4 of the keeppower, and 4 vapcell, the latter is rated better for high drain situations from what I've been able to find. @3.50 a pop price is decent as well.

18650batterystore is where I ended up ordering from shipping + price was not bad. If you read up on reviews on flashlight forums, the Vapcell does really well.

Last edited by ccwaters, Apr 26, 2019
    #5 ccwaters, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Norseman likes this.
  6. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

buying Li-Ions on Amazon is not recommended. Too many counterfeit products. I bought a 30q once and was lucky with this one, but there are counterfeit products, better don't take the risk and buy from reputable sources.

Buy them at illumn or liionwholesale. or nkon if you are in europe.

Some lights come bundled with batteries. If the company is a good one, you can trust these. For example the Sofirn sf14 comes with a 14500 and charger for 15 to 20$, and it is a good simple low-mid-high flashlight without strobe and memory. I was also lucky buying a BLF A6/Samsung 30q 18650 bundle from ebay for 20$, these come with legit cells, too.

Last edited by flux, Apr 26, 2019
    #6 flux, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Norseman likes this.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the help guys!

8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I like Illumn as well. I've bought several batteries from them (including 4 Keeppower 14500's) and never had any issues. Prices/shipping fees are reasonable and my orders have always been shipped quickly.

Norseman likes this.
  9. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I buy from Illumn or liion, just depends on who is having a sale at the time on what I want. Nothing bad to say about either.

Norseman likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Norseman likes this.
  11. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Never heard of them, but they suck for 14500 batteries, didn't check anything else.

They have 2 choices for 14500 batts one is the grossly over-rated LS cells 2600 mAh just isn't going to happen with today's tech, even getting past the huge false claim on capacity those cells were evaluated over on CPF as low quality.

The other choice is the even more dubious Ultralast with even more outrageous claims 6000 mAh, probably counting the two pack, but again, 3000 mAh just isn't going to happen.

They may be OK for other stuff but I wouldn't touch them for batteries.

Norseman likes this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've not actually done business with them. For some reason the site name stuck in my mind. Now I guess I know why no one here recommended them!

Thanks for the info!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Batteryjunction seems to carry a bunch of 14500 batteries made by some of the main flashlight manufacturers. Be advised that some 14500s are flat tops, not button tops and may not work in all devices. The only 14500 I have experience with is a Klarus that came with my Klarus xt1a. It's the kind that has a small usb port on the battery for recharging.

Norseman likes this.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

I ordered these off illumn.com:

14500 KeepPower 800mAh ICR14500 Protected Button Top

What’s the difference between something like these and Panasonic Eneloop batteries? I had ordered them for my Nitecore TN4A and they work in the Fenix and the ThorFires that I have that take 14500.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well more than twice the Voltage for starters.

An Eneloop is really just a 1.5 rechargeable AA battery and is a direct replacement for an AA battery in most applications.
    OK about 1.2volts lest I get flamed about it but you know what I mean.

A 14500 is a 3.7volt Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery and your light needs to be able to run with one or bad things can happen.

Not all AA lights can handle the 3.7 volt batteries and you might let the smoke out unless you find out beforehand.

Any AA light can work OK with an Eneloop though,pretty much.

They are the same physical size though obviously which is 14mm around X 500mm long which can sure add to the confusion if you do not understand this huge voltage difference.

Norseman likes this.
  16. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

LOL ...way to be on guard for the Internet police!

I have 2 different lights that will run on both AA or 14500 so they should be good. Thanks though for pointing it out.

Would my TN4A be brighter using AA over the Eneloops?

17. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Well, pretty happy with 18650batterystore, order placed, two hours later it was marked as shipped, 3 days later the 6 Vapcells were in my mail box, $28.75 total cost, of that $4.81 was shipping. Batteries as advertised/reviewed on CPF, 6 batteries arrived in 3 plastic 4 piece holders which were included at no cost.

Moshe ben David and Norseman like this.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Nobody answered my one question. I’m curious if my TN4A will be brighter or no difference running off AA alkaline batteries vs. Eneloops?? (Anyone know?)

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't imagine that it will?
    The Eneloop is actually a little lower voltage than an Alkaline so unless the driver in the light boosts voltage too it may be a little less bright really.
    Eneloop are designed for recharging and holding most of the charge for a lot longer than pother recharging batteries but they are not the double voltage that LiIon are so the output should be about the same.

I have no experience though with your light either.

The ZL SC5 are designed to run on Eneloop though and are crazy bright with them as the driver is designed for Maximum output with an Eneloop while you can not use a LiIon in them at all.

Just another idea.

Norseman likes this.
  20. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your analysis ...that’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’ll have to look into that ZL