1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

---

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Pord, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

Last edited by Pord, Mar 27, 2018
    #1 Pord, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    AK Adventurer and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I usually carry one of each, but when I'm going somewhere cargo pants are a no-no I cut it down to either or. Depends on my mood really. Having a small fixed blade with a pocketable sheath helps.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

In my bag I always (where legal) have a small fixed blade, at the moment a Böker Plus Gent’s Scalpel. It’s good for food when away from home because it’s far easier to clean than a folder. But in the pants pocket there’s a folder, too.
    When in the mood, instead of a folder I carry a Bark River PSK in a KSF pocket sheath, together with a FP in the other sheath slot.

4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a fixed blade almost every day.

It is usually the first knife I grab when I leave - a small, solid fixed blade.

Unfortunately, any fixie gets stares and people give you grief when you use it, no matter how well you use it. (I usually hide most of the blade in my hand, just so no one even really sees a knife)

But, I usually carry a Pioneer (or cadet when it comes...) because I've never had anyone even bat an eye at that....I think "Swiss Army Knife" is kind of... a joking type thing, somewhat 'childish'/scout ish.... So people don't fear them? I thought SAKs were junk because I'd only ever had junk/ripoff SAKs. When I got a real one, especially an alox, I was highly impressed.

MrOG likes this.
  5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

ManVsLawn Your probably most used fixed ones are small (and the BK13 is even smaller :p ;)), so you’re probably talking about the machete sized one (IIRC). But anyway, I want a DFK Backpacker, too. :rolleyes: I would try to carry it in the pocket similar to the BRKT PSK, but perhaps it’s too long for this.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

For years all I carried was a fixed blade, having never owned a folder, and at the time i was making knives for a living, so it was natural to carry and use what I made... over the years I've carried several bowies and a lot of Nessmuk utility blades. Usually in the 7" overall range, its what I preffered for carry and blade size.

For a while I carried both...After a while I drifted to folders only in EDC, I think since folders are more compact and lighter to carry for the same amount of blade. Only time I consistently carry a fixed any more is dedicated bush/camp/hunting days.

I don't subscribe to the fixed for harder use theory, if I'm doing something with my knife that my folders won't survive, then its something i shouldn't be doing with a knife... Generally.

But, having said that, I have been currious for a few months now about carrying a small pocket sized fixed blade... not sure why, its just interesting to me, to see if I;d like it. I own a couple, but none that I really like to use, nor had an easy pay to carry.

Till Yesterday; FACE sent me a Bark River Bravo Necker in the Secret Santa exchange! Its a great size, compact, yet a good size/comfortable grip, And it came in a KSF pocket sheath, so I;m trying that for a while to see how I like carrying a small fixed blade. So far so good, it virtually disappeared in my pocket all day yesterday.

Sounds familiar! ;) That's how I had my Bravo Necker and Noodlers Konrad FP all day yesterday; :cool:

[​IMG]

7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Although Technically I am still carrying both a fixed and a folder, since I am almost Never without my Case Peanut. But the fixed is probably all I will use 99% of the time, so I'm effectively just carrying the fixed... :cool:

FACE and ManVsLawn like this.
  8. ManVsLawn

It took me a while to wear the DFK Backpacker on my neck, but now, it's almost always on when I leave for work.

But even a small fixed blade gets me gup. I can feel people staring at the Izula on my hip, like it is going to jump out of its sheath and bite their finger off....

I do like small fixies - and I really wanna replace that BK13! But it's doing it's job, so I can't right now.

I was walking out of backyard with a 24 inch machete last week and I scared the heck out of some joggers. Not intentionally, I swear.

Picture!

[​IMG]

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

It’s good when the pen is mightier than the sword, but if I can have both … :cool:

FACE, AK Adventurer and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

ManVsLawn Every time I look at DF’s site the Backpacker is sold out in all its versions. Where did you get yours?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. ManVsLawn

I pre-ordered one, from his site. That is the only time I've ever done that.... I got it forever ago, and only the end of last year did I rig it up and start wearing it, often.

I generally have a rule against pre-ordering (See: THC's pre order debacle). But I waited and waited, got my shipping notice and it arrived just fine in great condition. It came pretty sharp, I did 'hone' it a little on my sharpmaker, and then it was absolutely razor sharp.

I think it took about 4-5 months before I received my knife. I ordered it 'early' in the pre order, though.

batteur likes this.
  12. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I've thought about finding the right small fixed blade and having a leather sheath made that can clip into my pocket as a folder would. It's on my to do list.

13. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

I always carry my White River Knucklhead around my neck every day. First thing I put on after I get dressed in the morning. I love this knife, has the perfect fit for my hand and it's a chisel grind so it works great as a bushcraft knife. I doubt I'll ever get rid of this knife, and I am thinking of getting another White River knife.

I would have been carrying my Ontario TAK 1 ....... but ........ well, we'll leave that one right there. :D

Here's a pic of the Knucklehead.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    FACE

14. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Nice looking setup there FACE. You've got me shopping this afternoon.

theirishboxer and FACE like this.
  15. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I have a knife that came from Ragweed Forge. I don't know what model it is (I've had it several years) but it has a short blade and a nice stubby grip and a scabbard with a flap. It looks like a little pouch for a large folding knife. It gets in the way with a pack but otherwise makes a good belt knife and isn't something you would notice. Can't post a photo, though.

16. Pavement Pirate

Pavement Pirate Loaded Pockets

I EDC several actually. 2 on my person, and 3 more in my bag that is always with me (exceptions: grocery store and most restaurants). Spydie Bug (always on me), Med to large folder of choice for the day (always on me), SAK (in bag), CRKT Minimalist (on bag), and a credit card knife thingy (in bag), oh, and a spyderco Grasshopper (in altoids kit, in bag).
    Heh, so I like to be ready. :devil:

17. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

Last edited by Pord, Mar 27, 2018
    #17 Pord, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    AK Adventurer and FACE like this.
  18. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I've been going the opposite direction from Pord I got a DPX HEST and loved it so I bought the Izula to EDC (local ordinance says under 3") now I want to try a Candiru in a cross draw sheath.

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry both but prefer the fixed. I've tried leather pocket sheaths (and carried a Woodswalker for almost a decade) but prefer a kydex necker sheath in the pocket. I even tried small/micro knives but (for me) a 3inch three finger handle is best.

[​IMG][/url]mumbo dumpo 1_24_15 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Jan 25, 2015
  20. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

I started back when everyone was on the esee fix to edc a knife in a kydex sheath. Now, I couldn't really spend on the esee izula and I had a Buck packlite skinner available. My friend at work made a cool IWB kydex rig for it and I used some paracord for the handle. Nice setup but a little too big! The handle jabs into my ribs when I sit down or it digs into my rump when moving around....I thought of a chen sunshine knife but just haven't gone forward in fixed blades for edc as of late. My running around the desert with aboriginal skills guys have me wearing the Puuko I won on this site. Carbon steel blade and a sweet leather thong sheath makes most around here envious. I like the idea of a woodswalker, but the knife seems so inadequate. I dunno, still trying to figure one out. they are just sooo cool.