1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

11mm buckle? Making a detachable camera strap...

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Narcosynthesis, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As a pretty varied and inventive bunch, I figure you may be able to help me out with a possible project I am looking at and give me a few ideas/sources...

I shoot regularly with a couple of different cameras, and get constantly annoyed with the camera straps I have on them - alternating between getting annoyed with the strap getting in the way, and then later on getting annoyed because I have taken the strap off and need it to 'wear' the camera - the strap being a flat webbing at the ends that loops around a flat metal lug on the camera and through a plastic friction buckle to hold itself - which is annoying to take off and put on regularly.

Hence the thought occurs of a way to give me a quick connect style strap I can easily pop on and off when needed without having to faff about.

So far the only solution I have come up with would be to use something like a plastic buckle as you often see holding bags shut - permanently sewing one part to the lugs on the camera, and attaching the other half to the strap as normal so I can use the strap when needed, and only have a short length of strap left attached to the camera when removed.

So far the problem I have had is finding the right size - I need an 11mm buckle to fit the straps I have, and I have so far just gotten lost on google trying to find the right thing amongst all the belt, watch and other misc buckles that appear...

So any thoughts? A secure way to do it? Any better alternatives or good sources for parts?

Cheers for any help.

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Pretty much a DIY and slightly tweaked version - much shorter pieces on the camera, and the option to use the straps I already have (including switching between a neck and wrist strap).

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I looped gutted paracord through the strap loops on both of my bodies and made a 2 inch wide sling with swivel snap hooks at the end. Allows to carry cross body, both bodies or one and it comes off fast when I need it too.

5. Oldcoyote

Oldcoyote Empty Pockets

The REI stores carry buckles that you could trial fit.

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Perhaps one meant for the chest strap of a bag?

7. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Could you live with a little wiggle? ;D

Found these people a while ago, have yet to use them but they do 15mm buckles

http://www.acesupplies.co.uk/acatalog/ACE_Side_Releases_.html

One of their descriptions mentions cycle helmets and dog collars, they might be smaller still if you can find them cheap enough to butcher?

8. Nibz

Nibz Empty Pockets

9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

supplycaptain.com has some new (smaller) side release buckles....look under ITW/NEXUS on their website.

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

There are many quick release camera straps that would work for you, mostly using SRB buckles.

11. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

12. Camo

Camo Empty Pockets

I did what you are planning to do about one year ago. I bought some YKK side release buckles (10 mm) and some PP webbing (10 mm) and i sewed a piece of approximately 15 cm (folded so that the ends overlap in the middle for almost 5 cm) to the metal loop on my 50d. The webbing and female parts of the buckles stay on the camera permanently but you dont notice them when working with a tripod. When its time to replace the webbing i will probably add a swivel somewhere. But the PP is holding up very good for a year now (17000 clicks approximately).

13. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Got pix?

14. Camo

Camo Empty Pockets

I will upload photos later. I don't have them on this computer here.

15. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Thank you.

16. Camo

Camo Empty Pockets

Here they are. The webbing is Polyamide, not Polypropylene and the total length was more like 13 cm (slightly more than 5") i think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please ignore my freehand stitching. :)

17. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Very nicely done. How did you stitch them?

18. Camo

Camo Empty Pockets

Um, like i have written, freehand if this is the right term. Just with a needle and thread. Its impossible with a sewing machine. I tried to stitch zig zag down in the middle of the webbing and up again in the same pattern. It looks as if a five year old did it, but i used the toughest thread i could find and i am sure that the buckle (or the camera) will break before my stitching.

19. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Black on black, it's kind of hard to see. Again, brilliant!

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have something similar to this on my camera only in leather with Chicago screws and a D-ring. The strap is then anything with snap clips.

Narcosynthesis: Since you indicate you're going to make this rig yourself, why not start with the hardware and work back from there?