1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

---

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Pord, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I stopped carrying a knife last tear after my spyderco was taken by the nypd. Now i just keep my mt or two and use a utility knife.

2. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Me!!!

I carried a skeletool for awhile. But I'm trying to break in my OHT.

(I keep a ZT566BW in my bag....but the leatherman in my pocket is always ready!)

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Flat driver right there on the style ps, and my shard has Phillips... and my keychain has a 4 way flat screwdriver...

4. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

geekandwife likes this.
  5. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

By the way... You can use the flat edge of the PS-CS carabiner as a big screwdriver... saved me a lot of time! Expecially when my full size MT have to catch a nut on the otherside

6. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Now I'm not mad at you, but I do want to mess with you on this point. I'm just giving you a hard time, so no hard feelings. :p

I'm pretty far on the opposite end of the spectrum from pansy, so let's look at the choices. I carry both a multitool and a dedicated knife. I think my OHT and Super Tool 300 should count as big multitools for this comparison.

The OHT is my main multitool and isn't tiny. Due to the design, the blades are shorter than others.

[​IMG]

On my bag is my Super Tool 300, bigger knife for the size of the tool.

[​IMG]

And then there is the dedicated knife in my pocket. I don't think it is possible to be a pansy with a Super CQC-8, even if I was putting pink frosting on a princess cake for my daughter.

[​IMG]

When I lay them all out at once, I do have to disagree about a big multitool vs. a dedicated knife.

[​IMG]

Choose your tools wisely. I hope you don't mind me having a bit of fun with you. ;)

7. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Right here, all I carry is my Sonic screwdriver :Dits all I need.

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I tend to carry a SAK, anything from just a classic up to the Swisschamp. Out of all the tools, I probably use the screwdrivers, awl and pliers more than the knife. I tend to only use a blade when opening packaging etc. If I'm out camping somewhere that's a different situation, I'm talking about daily carry though. For me, carrying a dedicated knife would not be worth it, it doesn't get that much use.

9. zimchaz89

zimchaz89 Loaded Pockets

As I am in the UK I don't carry a dedicated knife.I keep to the legality much as possible, but it's hard to justify driving past the shops on the way home from work to drop off my knife just to go back....but yeah the blade on my surge is pretty tough, and it handles everything I needed it for so far, so a single bladed folder is just added weight sometimes.

10. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

If I'm carrying my LM Wave or Charge, chances are that I won't have another knife, the exception being on stock night at work, I'll carry a cheap Enlan or something too so I don't gummy up my blade with tape or screw it up abusing it. I'll also sometimes carry a multitool and a small toothpick knife or something. But as a general rule, if I have a MT with a blade, that'll do me.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

znapschatz and MrOG like this.
  11. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

I have a similar experience with a Charge affecting my carry habits. Usually, I pair pieces. With my previous long term EDC Super Tool, there would also be another small multi-tool and/or SAK with me, and often an OHO folder as well, a lot of mix and match. About 7 years ago, I picked up a Charge. After a break-in period when we got to know each other, I was surprised to discover that when I'm out with the Charge, it knocks all the others out of my pockets (except for a Rambler in my 5th, but that's also a fob for a micro-light). I have other full size multitools that I carried before the Charge, and I always crowded them with supplementaries, still do when I carry them, but somehow, the Charge discourages all that. It seems to trigger a different mind set because none of my other full size multis have that effect on me. The more the merrier with them :dance: . But the Charge is pretty complete as is* and doesn't like company. When carried, it seems silly to duplicate all the functions it does well enough, so my pockets should be free enough to stuff money, candy and other nice things into them. Those thoughts never occur to me with anything else aboard.
    When your multi-tool starts expressing its preferences to you, that's how you'll know you're around the bend. :blink:

*Actually, the basic Charge TTi is missing a must-have tool for me, an awl. But I was able to find an excellent awl mod that fits the clip slot, and if not for that, I would never have bought the Charge.

MrOG likes this.
  12. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

I go back and forth. If I can't carry a pistol, I'll try and carry a reasonable self defense folder, but it seems like anymore, it's just my modded Charge along for the ride.

13. srvctec

srvctec Loaded Pockets

Care to elaborate on what awl you found? Your sentiments on the Charge are spot on- the only thing missing for me as well is an awl.

14. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

I know there are mods wherein one can take a 5/16" spade bit and chop it up to fit in the bit driver.

srvctec likes this.
  15. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

It was offered by forum member Chaco in 2008. He had made a few out of 154 CM, which sold out quickly. I don't know if he ever made another batch. Sorry I can't help.
    Too bad Leatherman put in that worthless teeny bit holder instead of an awl in that slot. During the 7 years I've had the Charge, I've never used the bit once for an actual screw (I poked holes with it twice or so). It doesn't even fit any of the screws on my glasses.

Recovered memory: I did use the little screwdriver once to replace batteries in my Timex Expedition watch. Still, I would have preferred to have had an awl instead. I don't change batteries all that often.

Last edited by znapschatz, Apr 10, 2015
  16. anditsgone

anditsgone Loaded Pockets

I tried to carry an Extrema ratio BF 1 CD besides my Swisstool X. But it just felt awkward to carry two knifes. When i had to sent in my Swisstool X for warranty i tried to carry my Extrema Ratio in the 8 weeks my Swisstool was gone. But after 1,5 week i orderd an Leatherman wave because i just could not leave the house without an Mt an opted for the Spirit X but gave leatherman a second chance after the bad experiances i had with them. Wave needed loosening of all the torx screws but after that it worked fine.

17. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

For me it's situational. I usually carry a Leatherman on my belt, a locking folder in my left front pocket, and sometimes augment with a SAK or a stockman type in my watch pocket. If I'm dressing up or I don't feel like wearing a belt sheath I throw my Sidekick in my left front and nothing else and that serves all of my needs reasonably well, but that is not preferred

18. Weej

Weej Loaded Pockets

I normally have both, my Leatherman wingman and my CRKT m16. I use the MT quite a bit, mainly because I cant stay still and actively seek out things to mess with. But the knife stays with me because sometimes, the knife on the MT just isn't up to the task. I feel like i cant abuse it like my dedicated knife. I think my dad said it best when i kept using my MT in his garage, something along the lines of "that thing (MT) is pretty cool, but why use that when I have the real tools hanging up 2 steps away?" Same thing with my knife, except my knife is normally right next to my Leatherman.

19. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

17 years of carrying this SOG. Well the second one since my other one got lost two years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I broke my pliers tips one time in 17 years called them up and they sent me new ones with no charge. BAM done and installed in a few minutes. I would wear down a tool in my leatherman and they would not send me a replacement. Sent it out and did not see it again for 6 weeks. I am a working man I need my tool back much sooner then that. Three times sent out in one year and I finally gave it away. No thanks never again.

[​IMG]

Simple scissors but work flawlessly on everything.

[​IMG]

This is there thickest flat screwdriver. I put it on a grinder made it a little shorter and you got a great prybar for many uses.

[​IMG]

We all know what this is and does the job well just like the other multitools.

[​IMG]

Now this once was a Phillips screwdriver head. I needed a fine head for those tiny little flat head screws like the ones that hold towel bars in place that are so tiny. Sog makes there phillips screw drivers more out of some kind of harder tool steel so this was a perfect candidate to grind down and custom make my own tool. And it has worked perfectly. The ones that come with Leatherman the very first time I use it the head bends and that just pisses you off. And as you can see it has been used for other things as well and still has not broken from heavy abuse.

[​IMG]

Again very simple knife but does the job. Couple of passes with the knife sharpener once a week and good to go.

[​IMG]

It is amazing how much I use this file and it makes a great flat head screwdriver also.

[​IMG]

Another awl I put on the other side because I use it so much.

[​IMG]

The flat head screw driver I did not grind down and use for it's intended purpose.

[​IMG]

Phillips head screw driver has great steel and yet to show any signs of wear.

[​IMG]

Here is a flat head I ground down into a very functional chisel and scraper I use all the time. Try to do this kind of custom with a leatherman and it gets expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the amazing pliers. No other comes close in the multi tool world for fantastic grip and opens a tad bit wider then the rest. I open water meters for homes all the time with it. It is the one time I snapped the head off.

[​IMG]

Fantastic saw I use on wood, plastics and aluminum for making screen frames sometimes. Also good for getting out old spline stuck in the framing.

[​IMG]

20. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

didn't see this post til now... man im slow.

You're right, it's just, for me, I don't need a dedicated blade. the most I'll carry is maybe a gerber paraframe mini that I sharpened to hell, but not something large like that. In my day to day tasks, I don't need a big knife

I probably shouldn't have said the word pansy... I like the super tool, by the way.

Lou_G likes this.