1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

---

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Pord, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

How did you get introduced to SAKS when you were little? I had a bunch of them laying around the house and I would always tinker with them. Maybe that's why I came back to them as an adult :)

2. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Ya know, I tried only carrying a dedicated mt with knife and I broke the blade on 2 skeletools, which I did love. Then I up'd the antie to a MUT and the blade broke on that too but I claimed on my warentee and got it replaced. After that however, I started carrying a knife again. I just love hard use knives and a MT. Now I carry a full sized knife and a gerber dime. Works wonderful for me. Very few MTs have blades that can hold up to the use of a good knife.

3. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

For the last year or so I have only carried a MT. But it does kill me not to carry a knife also, since I am a knife nut.
    Sucks to have a couple shelves full of knives that I dont use currently.
    I would carry a MT and a knife, but I simply dont have the room. All my pockets are used up.
    I dont care for belt pouches, that would be the only way I could carry more.

I dont really miss a knife as far as daily use. They are a bit easier to deploy. but for the most part, the MT blades do what I need them to do.
    I am probably more demanding on the other tools on the MT than I am the blade.
    I use the MT constantly, I cant ever go without carrying one again.

Was carrying a Charge for about a year, recently switched to a Surge.
    [​IMG]

MrOG likes this.
  4. LC Ray

LC Ray Loaded Pockets

I have been doing it for a while, but the MT is a Leatherman Juice S2 with the blade
    readily accessible on the outside of the handle.
    Choose the Juice S2 on account of the size, not too big, not a key chain size either.

It was an odd feeling at first, as I am a dedicated knife person at heart and forced myself to try this for a while.
    It really consolidates a lot of " must haves" into one item.

MrOG likes this.
  5. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I am really conflicted. I go back and forth all the time. I love carrying a full folding knife. It is thinner and lighter, and a better blade. But then I will throw my wingman in my pocket and love having the capable tools that go with it. I wish I could have a consistent setup.

srvctec and MrOG like this.
  6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Other way around for me. Since age 12, I could never see the sense in carrying a dedicated knife when in the same implement you could also have a variety of other tools. After all, in a day's doings I could have need of a screwdriver/pry bar, awl, can opener, saw or whatever as often as a blade. It was all a matter of utility to me, strictly Vics and Leathermen. Then, later in life I got introduced to the advantages of dedicated folding knives. Although I recognized their superior ergonomics and cutting abilities, what caught my attention most was one hand opening. That was a real benefit to me for some of the things I do, so I went exploring that segment, winding up with a few that I carried along with multis for a few years. Then, Leatherman came out with OH multi-tools. So, even though I still enjoy the use of a nice folder now and then, I can no longer justify carrying one on a regular basis when my Charge TTi does it all. I must say, though, it was fun while it lasted. :bye:

powerring and MrOG like this.
  7. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

no dedicated knife...
    leatherman wingman and sometime a wave.
    carry a knife is illegal in italy... carry a multitool may be not... expecially if you always ride a bike :D

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Not a chance.

9. fstat

fstat Empty Pockets

A knife in Greece is considered a weapon when carried upon you. So I always carry a SAK which is more of a tool.

10. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I used to carry the Charge everyday, and only the Charge. But these days, I find I carry a single knife more, and the MT stays in my bag, so not with me everyday . I think it is due to the fact that I don't use my MT's tools that often, and when I do, I usually have my bag somewhere close, and that with knives, you have so many different designs, steels, ergonomics...

MrOG likes this.
  11. LC Ray

LC Ray Loaded Pockets

I have forced myself to just carry a SAK since beginning of the year
    It was an odd feeling not having a dedicated single blade, one hand opener, but so far,its working
    And, of course, I can toss my Delica in my pocket if I start to feel withdrawal pains

12. Fire tripper

Fire tripper Loaded Pockets

My wave already has two blade so I don't need anything else dragging me down.

MrOG likes this.
  13. hariph creek

hariph creek Loaded Pockets

I always have a SAK. Sometimes I only have a SAK. I don't think of a SAK as a "Multitool". It's my "Polite" knife, with benefits.
    I almost always have an additional dedicated working knife.
    I have no use for a blade on a Leatherman type multitool (maybe a serrated blade, maybe?). I'd rather have a good marlin spike. I'd call bladeless multitools "Knife Snob" versions.

Southpaw and MrOG like this.
  14. srvctec

srvctec Loaded Pockets

This is what I do all the time. Currently, I'm torn between wanting to carry my LM Tti Charge at work, but don't want to stop carrying my folder. I've always carried my (I think it's the Executive?) SAK I've had for 15 or 20 years in one of my pockets and that will never change, but it's nice to have a rugged folder with a big blade as well. The only way I can carry the LM and my folder is to carry it in a holster, which I'm not crazy about. If I could wear my Tru-Spec 24/7 tactical pants at work, I could carry all the same EDC stuff I do when off work- just not enough pockets in Dockers. :(

15. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

To be honest, I haven't carried a dedicated blade in well over a year. It's much more useful to have a multitool with a knife for two reasons:
    1. More useful due to tools.
    2. People are less frightened of a multi-tool than a dedicated knife.

And another thing, it feels super sexy to pull out a big multi-tool and using it, rather than pulling out a dedicated knife and being a pansy with it.

Just my opinion, don't hurt me.
    -
    Logan

MrOG likes this.
  16. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

If you carried a dedicated blade, you wouldn't have to be afraid somebody might hurt you :ninja: :D .

REDDEVIL likes this.
  17. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Against your points...

1. One could argue that of you just need a knife at the moment that the rest of the tools at that time are dead weight. Yes your multi tool might have 12 bottle openers, a USB drive and a paintbrush.. But when I need to cut something I need a knife and just a knife. We have a name in my area for people that carry a bunch of tools they don't need just because it looks cool... Mall ninjas...

2. Chances I can have my knife out cut what ever it is and have it put up before you have your knife deployed. Less time for them to be scared in the first place. :)

18. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I did say it looked cool, but the pliers on a Leatherman have saved me a million times, and same with the knife.

19. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I do carry a style PS for that very reason.. And you are right you didn't say cool you said sexy... And i was trying to be tounge in cheek joking always you...

20. MatteoRR

MatteoRR Loaded Pockets

Style ps pliers are near to un unuseful IMHO... and you still need a screwdriver...