1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

---

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Pord, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

Last edited by Pord, Mar 27, 2018
    #1 Pord, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    C.Boland93, sungame and MrOG like this.
  2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I'm with you and always carry both a MT and a dedicated knife. (I don't think the knife on my MT has ever even been used) I know several people who carry just a MT however and they seem to get along OK... I think I'd be OK without the dedicated knife, but its better at what it does and when it comes down to it, I just enjoy my knives.

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I didn't have both until I joined the forum. that is when I got my first MiniGrip.

4. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

My "dedicated knife" is a Leatherman Skeletool CX and my MT is a modded wave with a S30V blade.... Can't see a need for more then that.

microbe and Ippon like this.
  5. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Currently I don't carry a dedicated knife during the week, I've been carrying a Cadet and a PS4, I also keep a Rebar in my bag. The cadet gets used mostly for the knife, cutting food, string, cardboard, string, tape, paper, wood and so on. The PS4 is used for the scissors, pliers, file, and drivers though I've been using the drivers on the Cadet more recently because it's new.

The Rebar gets used for bigger jobs and saves me trips back and forth to the garage on the weekends. If I'm working on a project that will reqire tools the Rebar is on my belt.

On the weekends I usually keep a Mora on my person as a dedicated knife just because I enjoy using them.

Ironside likes this.
  6. FUTBOL26

FUTBOL26 Loaded Pockets

I do not carry a dedicated knife only a micra most days and a cadet some few days I do just fine without a dedicated knife but that's just me

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a dedicated knife carrier - for several reasons:

1) speed - if I need a knife in a hurry, it's easier to pull a dedicated knife out than to fumble with a multi-tool.
    2) one-handed use - all of my knives can be operated one-handed, so if I'm in mid-task, I can access the knife quickly.
    3) blade style - I can get a locking blade in a pocket knife; not so much in a multi-tool. I can also specify blade shape, which may be important.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

#8 Pord, Mar 10, 2014
  9. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

10. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

1 and 2 apply for that 3 for me. But essentially, +1 to this idea. I've always got my hands busy so I need a one handed opening blade with no real frills.

Spyderco does this well. It opens, cuts, closes, clips, all one handed.

11. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I always have one of my LM waves in the front right pocket, and a light knife in my right back pocket (delica.) The LM is a utility edge, and the Spydie is a mirror. I take care of my knifes like they are babies, using them as cutting tools, cutting tools, and only cutting tools. I use my MT's blades for all the "abuse" stuff. :unsure: I tried having LM's S30V steel as a fine edge, but for me, Spyderco's VG-10 is better than Leatherman's S30V. (Brace for flack! :p)

Edit:
    As many of us do I change up my edc. Wave I have decided is MUCH too heavy to be carried in the pockets. Now the PM2 gets the right front pocket, and a flashlight gets the back right pocket spot. LM gets a sheath if I carry a MT at all on my person, although I always have one in my car

Last edited by Ippon, Aug 7, 2014
  12. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

For a long time, my Leatherman Wave was my only blade, but since I found that a small MT fits most of my needs, I've taken to carrying a Squirt PS4 and a dedicated, slightly more aggressive, folder. If you prefer carrying a full-size MT, the blade on the Wave is more than enough for 95% of tasks.

HighOutdoors likes this.
  13. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

I tend to have a Skeletool Cx and a SAK Climber in the MP Fatty that gets tossed into my work bag every day.

However... I have had this hankering to get a dedicated knife, but the choice is immense. Ultimately my list came down to a nice MCusta, an Izula 2, a Spyderco Tenacious, a Benchmade Minigriptilian, or an Opinel Slim No.8 wtih bubinga handles. What did I choose? None of these! Just this morning I confirmed an order with Thomas (from Passione per i Coltelli) for a PPC Occam in Olive wood scales - delivered direct. This will be my first folder, my first friction folder, and my first dedicated knife (with the exception of carrying a fixed blade in the wilderness). I am terrbily excited and will be pacing up and down my office for ages until comes, I guess. :bounce:

I tend to worry at decisions, often eventually talking myself out of things (which is a relief to my bank manager no doubt). The MCusta was calling strongly but... I cannot justify spending so much on a knife that is going to get used only sporadically. It's a beautiful knife though, and perhaps one day I might just get one. In the meantime the Occam is going to be filling a lot of experiences for which I have boxes to be ticked. And it looks gorgeous too. Seriously looking at the Opinel as well. These are not going to be hard use, for that I tend to go fixed.

Ooh, exciting. :frantic:

Ironside and Montetobuso like this.
  14. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

Most days just my MT (Squirt, Swisstool Spirit X, Rebar, Wave, etc. Only rarely will I carry sn extra knife. I use my knife blade a lot but I don't need a big mega tactical folder and I sure as heck can get by with the blade on my MT.

One handed opening is the only convenience adding factor for me.

Emrah

15. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always carry a multitool AND a knife.
    I don't believe, as you stated, that "a multitool (that has a knife)"...: a MT has one or more and differently sized/shaped blades (and please accept to think about this, before to trash it, 'cos i'm really - but really - a MT nut...), but it's not a knife.
    Large, medium. small size... MTs and knives are different.
    It all depends on the tasks i think (or hope...) to have to make front, so i choose the tools to carry.
    A knife is a knife.
    Just my opinion, that's clear. Nothing more.
    Nick

Ippon likes this.
  16. socalsecurity

socalsecurity Loaded Pockets

I mainly carry just a MT or SAK and usually have a dedicated blade in my truck.

Sent from NCC 1701D Enterprise

17. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

---

#17 Pord, Mar 11, 2014
    Nick4305 likes this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Usually both MT and Knife,mainly so I can have one handed opening on both.

Mostly Gerber Non-Pinchy one handed MT and ZT 0560 at least since the ZT first came out.

I would say at least half the times that I need either one I already have a handful going on.

Ironside likes this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

No. Nope. Not me:D

Closkwise from the top...Daily

Victorinox Swisstool Spirit (serrated utility)[Skinth Carry], Spyderco Matriarch2 Black FRN (Self defense(Urinal Knife), drawing utility)[1 o'clock IWB], EDCF Queen Moonglow Stockman (finer utility, showing off;))[RFpocket], Zero Tolerence 0561 (serious utility, OHO)[RRpocket]

[​IMG]

Cross posted, but I had it on my clipboard when I saw it fit here too ;)

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Urinal Knife?

You can't just post this and not explain,although I think I may regret saying so?

brwe and CNeal like this.