1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

100 bucks to spend! What do I get?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JP, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Hello Folks,

I have a fresh new 100 dollar bill (Canadian) to spend given to me as a gift. :roof: What do I buy for edc? I need your advice. To help you guys out here is what I have:

SOG Pocket Power Pliers
    Gerber STL 2.0
    Mini Mag
    Maglite Solitaire
    Little Zebra Pen
    Journal
    A billabong wallet that is still in good shape at 7+ years old
    An otterbox similar to the Otterbox 9000. (Carries my epi pens)
    A butane lighter

I have been wanting a Nitecore D10 but I don't know if that is what I need right now. I have also been thinking about getting a nice little fixed blade. Or maybe a Boker folder...

So, please evaluate my edc and let me know what needs an upgrade.. I will post pics tonight

JP

2. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Please send me your $100 and I will provide you with a EDC Thank you Note. :woohoo: :lolhammer: :woohoo:

FOr another $50 I will make it the tactical version. :lolhammer:

3. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Just from looking at your current EDC gear, I'd recommend a flashlight upgrade. Nothing against Maglight but there are many pocket lights out there that pack quite a bit more light than a Maglight. Perhaps an LED upgrade for your Maglight if you don't want to leave it.

Your fixed blade idea is a good idea as well. Perhaps an Izula or something smaller along those lines that won't break the bank. Then, if you're a good shopper, you could possibly purchase both with your funds, depending on the light and knife, of course.

Maybe a new pen too? Perhaps, a Fisher Bullet or a Valiant Concepts Pen?

Good luck! I'm sure others will have some better suggestions here in a few posts.

Heath

4. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

If you want to go the fixed blade route, Id recomend a Kabar made Becker Necker (bk11). I bought one yesterday and I love it. You get alot of carry options to, and its lightweight and sharp. But if you have big hands it might not be right for you. Its also cheaper than the Izula, but idk how it compares in size, weight or sharpness, but I am sure that they are close the same quality.

5. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

how I'd spend it?

new flashlight, nitecore, olight, fenix
    new wallet, spec ops the wallet

:luck:

6. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I'd be getting a new flashlight, you are in need of one to bring that section in line with the rest of your quality gear.

7. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I recently had this question myself. I'm getting married in 9 days and the company I work for gave me a $100 check for a wedding present. Awesome! I already blew it on a Maxpedition Condor II in foliage! LOL

8. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

9. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

You definately need a better light. Maybe a Nitecore D10 or one of the Quark series from 4sevens.com

10. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I'd mirror the others' suggestions on getting new (or upgraded) lights. Furthermore, you could always spend a tenner on a Fishwolf SBK and get an inexpensive fixed blade, as per your original post. :)

Oh, and unless you need to write in bad weather, under water, or upside down, I'd advise you to save your money on a Fisher; the Zebra cartridges write so much better, IMO.

11. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I agree. You will LOVE the D10, it will blow away the Maglites.

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I get by with those two little zebra guys in the bottom right corner. 80+ Canadian on a flashlight is alot of dough. When comparing the NiteCore D10 to a MiniMag is it going to be,"hey, that is bright" :) or will it be "OMG where have you been all my life" :pirate:

13. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Not only that, but you'll probably never have to worry about the LED going dead on you, compared to the incandescent bulbs. :-X

14. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

It's going to be more like "why did I ever put up with these other dim things?" Also, I believe if you don't like it you can return it... if you buy from 4sevens.ca

15. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a Quark Neutral White Tactical AAx2. I can see a NiteCore D10 maybe being added to the collection at year's end if I save my pennies. With the 23 bucks left over from the Quark I may go and buy some soapstone to play with. I will let you guys know what I think of the quark.

16. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

If you are in the market for a budget light that packs a good punch, try the Maratac AAA or its cousin the ITP A3 EOS (upgrade version). As for the knife, why not add a SAK to your EDC? The Cadet and Farmer are 2 of the more popular models.

17. sublimepatriot1776

sublimepatriot1776 Empty Pockets

Go with a Leatherman Over the Sog. And use the rest for a O light, way better than maglite

18. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I think the OP has long spent the $100 by now lol.

19. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

In case you haven't spent the money, I would go for a new light. The Mag lights are hardly worth anything. I would go for a Quark or a Nitecore. A Quark Mini123 might just work for size and cost considerations.

20. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Yep, I did buy a Quark NW Tactial AA2. Good light. I am thinking about doing a before EDCF and after EDCF picture to show my stuff I have amassed since then. That may be a good thread subject.