1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123 - is it too large for EDC pocket carry?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Cityus, Aug 11, 2017.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

You may want to be careful and use the manual lockout on the EA11, when not in use (about a quarter twist of the tail cap, to manually lock out), so you don't find yourself with a non-functioning light, when you need it the most. That's happened to me, more times than I care to admit, even in its holster (while stored in a bag).

Mine served me very well, but I haven't used it in a while. I ended up opting for the Zebralight SC600w Mk III, which isn't much larger, but gives comparatively tremendous run times and nice, neutral output. The EA11 is not known for stellar run times, but has very impressive output (albeit short-lasted), for such a small light. Direct access to low, turbo, strobe, or red light, is also a nice touch. It also projects surprisingly well, for a light of its size.

2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I carry a smaller 2xCR123A flashlight in my pocket, in an organizer that also holds a LM Rebar and small folder (CRKT Ripple) vertically. As long as the light is less than 4.5" in length it carries just fine in my back left pocket, in jeans, cargos, or dress slacks. I could carry a smaller flashlight instead, but the choice of good runtime and brightness can't be beat for the size. I don't need a flashlight for work, and I'm rarely surprised by the urgent need for extreme personal lighting, but I appreciate that I can walk out the door with just the standard gear that always lives in my pants, and I'm prepared well enough for anything that could be reasonably expected, and a little bit outside that range as well.

twin63 and EZDog like this.
  3. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Here is my nickles worth recommendation.

I am not sure of the EB1's size so I cannot compare with the lights I am suggesting for your consideration.

• Thrunite, TN12 runs on 1 x 18650 --- Cree XM-L2 U2 LED 1050 max lumen Length(5.63 inch) x diameter(1 inch); net weight: 2.90 oz;
    • Fenix PD35 TAC 1000 Lumen CREE XP-L, 5.4 in. Length x 1.0 in. Diameter ยท3.1 oz. excluding battery.
    Both lights have similar outputs and are close in size and weight. If you wear cargo pants then you will have plenty of space. Otherwise a belt holster is typical for EDC.

==============================================================================

4. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I regularly carry a Fenix pd3? what ever the latest bright one is. I always have one in a belt holster and one tucked in a vest pocket, meant more as a spare battery. Lately I have been looking at Fenix' USB rechargeable rc11 ,uc 30 and 35. the 11 is not usb per se but if you carry the special cord around with you ,you should be able to get a charging port anywhere. It is a very small but 1000 lumen bright package. Not that fussy about the switch yet. It has a lock so it doesn't come on in your pocket,little tricky. the uc 30 is a little longer and if you can recharge your smart phone, you can recharge your light, this may be the difference maker for those on the fence about battery availability.. I use my lights all the time in the dark old building i work in. the cleaning crew doesn't like the way it lights up carpets and stuff that they thought they had done already. Lol

5. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Just out of curiosity, what is the shortest 18650 light you've attempted carrying as an EDC? Thre are plenty of smaller 18650 lights that aren't a whole lot bigger than a single AA light, but have tremendous power, if needed, and run times that are amazing, for a portable light.

[​IMG]
    At the moment I'm carrying these three, and usually have the two Zebralights, on-person.

The Mk III, in the middle, is my go-to light, when I can only have one light on-person (like at work), and it sits in my left, front pocket, all the time, regardless of what I'm wearing (shorts, slacks...). I don't like carrying anything in that pocket, other than that light, a lens cleaning cloth, and maybe a pack of gum - ever,and it's always clipped to the pocket - although I admit I'm not crazy about the clip. My favorite clips have been those of my EageTac lights. They pretty much feel like they have this death grip on my clothing lol. They never come loose, or feel too slippery, accidentally.

The clip took some getting used to.

It's very comfortable to carry. It's only about 4 inches long and 1.1 inches at the head. They do make skinner 18650 lights, but I prefer the better thermal management on this model, because of the slightly extra body mass.

I don't wear super tight clothing, so this works perfectly for me, for what I consider to be a sub-compact, yet unbelievably powerful light, but with all sorts of other settings, including an amazing moonlight mode - all of them easily re-programmable on the fly.

It also has superb run times, excellent thermal regulation, and fully potted electronics. Super solid light.

Friendly, but sophisticated interface, with instant access to all modes, including battery check, from Off.

The Mk II is in a small (Nitecore EA11) holster, and rests right behind my iPhone (on my belt, at 3 o'clock. I can barely tell it's even there, since I always carry my phone in the same spot. I can't stand pocket carrying a phone - ever. This seems to work pretty well, for me.

The Dobermann is holster-carried, at 9 o'clock. Any single, average-sized 16850 light I carry on-person, is in this holster, and is comfortable enough not to get in my way.

When I'm carrying a bag I'll have as many as a dozen other lights (almost all of them 18650, and one 26650 light), and spare batteries, various multi-tools, etc.

Last edited by david57strat, Thursday at 11:09 PM
    #45 david57strat, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:09 PM