1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123 - is it too large for EDC pocket carry?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Cityus, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

That's the beauty of the ZL sc62w (and sc63w): It's barely longer and wider than most 1xAA lights.

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Ah I see, I were thinking that maybe one of those multi LED portable construction type lights might be in order although I don't know how long the battery lasts in one of those, I'm assuming an whole working day at least??

Years ago, some of my service engineer roles led me to dark & dingy places, can't beat having a head torch sometimes,.....I don't think that the LED ones were on the market back then. Lol

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I need to have light in my pocket and not carried on its own to be practical just in case.

I can usually easily get a whole day from an 18650 as these are not my main go to lights most of the time anyway,I really use an AA light mostly but carry at least 2 of each too because 1 really is none sometimes in the dark!

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

My EDC is a Zebralight SC600w Mk III Hi. I wear walking trousers and it's comfortable. I wouldn't like a larger light than that.

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Have you found the best AA light when it comes to run time and actual usable light output, enough to see what you are fixing at say arms length?

I tried using my Zebra light SC52 has a head torch (using a Klarus head band) whilst working in a loft for a few hours, had to change out the battery, it just wasn't up to the job,....maybe I'm just expecting too much from any single cell AA light?

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry an SC52w mostly and just change out alkalines as needed and they are not in there long enough to leak so far which is the day the light was released basically.
    I love the "w" version as it really makes it easier to identify wire color codes over most no neutral tint LEDs that I have tried and I have tried a lot of them!
    Same with the Convoy S2+ which I have in Neutral as well.

Funny enough though I have also been carrying the Jet-1 MK as my 2nd AA for a while and it is an exceptional light all the way around with what are really useful mode settings for me and great runtime and the $13 price is just icing on the cake!
    I had carried a Fenix LD-12 for years with the SC52 but I really prefer the Jetbeam at this point as the 2nd AA light.

I recently gave one to a friend who spent a week canoeing the Boundary Waters and of the 10 people there and the lights they all brought that was the nicest light he said and he only felt it was underpowered whenever they heard ominous noises in the middle of the night.
    I tried to make him take something bigger too just for the trip but he couldn't understand why until he got back?

Anyway keeping an AA spare on my person is just a reality for me so why not keep it in a 2nd light!

steeps and earthman like this.
  7. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

Zebralight SC600 Mk II, easily carried in my Khakis (Tru Spec 24/7 in the knife pocket), a little tighter but doable in Jeans. Not at all "tactical" (I wish it had a forward-clicky tailswitch -- even with the extra length) but man is it bright.

My go-to light for EDC in jeans is a cheap Streamlight Microstream with a protected 10440 battery. Much brighter than stock (more like a single CR123 light), inexpensive ($20), slim, great simple interface.

Then for real work... Blackshadow Terminator ;)

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Those SC600's sure are popular, I've noticed that UK stockists often show them as being 'out of stock' on their websites.

Is this the shortest length 18650 light there is?

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The SC62,63 series are actually a little shorter and/or thinner somehow.

#29 EZDog, Aug 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    earthman likes this.
  10. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I own a Protac 2L-X and while I think it's a fine light there is no way I would want to carry it in a pocket all day, every day. On the belt or in a bag, sure.

11. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

Nice. What light do you typically carry in a pocket?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

12. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I like the 1x AA format for EDC, primarily for size. I have a Fenix E12 and that really is an ideal size, IMO, for pocket carry. I keep telling myself I'll get another one when it dies but the thing just won't quit. I've had it for years and it's survived many drops and water exposure.

However if I had to pick up another light in this format - the Thrunite Archer 1A, Thrunite T10 or Acebeam M10 all look pretty good.

13. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

All day, every day, in my right front pocket I carry a Fenix stainless steel LD01 2010/11 edition (AAA twisty) in a double pouch with a Victorinox Champ. I’m in suburbia so when I leave the house I’m driving. My truck key is attached to a Protac 1L-1AA, so that’s with me when I’m out and about.

14. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I regularly EDC these two, while not at work:

[​IMG]
    Zebralight SC600w Mk II L2 (on my belt)
    Zebralight SC600w Mk III (front left pocket)

No regrets. Both lights are extremely dependable, and small enough not to bother me, but powerful enough to light up whatever I want (most of the time). Flexible enough with the output selections, to fit the bill.

The only thing I miss (while carrying these) is momentary output. But all of the other features of the user interface (and build quality) are superb (direct access to low, medium, high, flashing modes, or even battery check from off; easily re-programmable low, medium or high outputs; potted electronics, nice neutral balanced beam, thermal regulation).

When I can only on-person carry one (at work, for instance), it's the Mk III, in my front left pocket - whether in shorts, or slacks), but I can get to the pack (which has as many as a dozen lights, and numerous back-up batteries), whenever. I also carry a pair of XTAR MC1 Plus chargers in the car, just in case, so I can charge on the go, or wherever I may be, with a USB charging hub.

I prefer carrying something powerful enough (on-person) to light up whatever I may need to (within reason), regardless of whether it's work, or anywhere else. No exceptions. I also prefer having long run times and high output available to me full-time, and I never know when I may need long run times.

Besides, the Mk III is only 3.8 inches long.

#34 david57strat, Aug 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM
  15. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Casual carry for me is dependent on what I'm wearing. Typically I'm in cargo shorts or 5.11/Tru Spec cargo pants, so I'm not confined to smaller lights as I am during the work week (business casual/shirt & tie). I normally carry a 1xAA light clipped to my left front pocket and a 1xAAA loose in the same pocket. I like the button up Panama style shirts (guayabera?) and will sometimes carry a larger light in a belt sheath as well.

@Cityus - you mentioned the ProTac 2L-X. Streamlight lists the head diameter at 1.06 inches. This is not scientific by any means, but you could take your SureFire 6PX and insert it tail first into the pocket you normally carry in (stop at the bezel since it is a bit wider). The body of the 6PX is 1 inch. This might give you an idea of how the 2L-X would feel in the pocket.

I picked up a Streamlight 1L-1AA a while back to check out the dual fuel capabilities. It carries well and would be a good choice for casual carry.

Cityus likes this.
  16. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the perspective and great idea; haha funny you should say that I tried doing this with a maglight 2xaa maybe I'll try it with the surefire!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Carrying both these combinations of torches is ideal I think, I also have a spare CR123 battery in a container on my keys. Generally I use the AA torch, if I need more output then I'll grab the CR123,......if I get really get caught out whilst away from home etc, I'm more likely to get hold of AA batteries than the other type, assuming that both my CR's have been drained by then.

18. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

In my opinion 18650 flashlights are too chunky. A slim 2x CR123, one that is not compatible with 18650, is still carry-able. Like the Quark CR123As (0.86in diam) and Eagletac D25 Clicky series (0.85in diam) are nice and slim, but a ThruNite TN12 (18650, 1.0in diam) is no-go. It's a fine line but that's my cutoff. The 2L-X (0.94in) seems borderline for me.

I 3d printed an assortment of fake flashlights to see what was manageable. Found dimensions online, modeled some simple tube, printed, carried around for a couple days
    -18650 fat is no-go
    -18650 slim is a hair too large. It's noticeable when sitting
    -2xCR123A fat is like a 18650, just a hair too large.
    -2xCR123A slim is good. Carries nicely on the far side of the pocket like a knife, or in the middle of the pocket and angled inward.
    -2xAA fat is ok, but I wouldn't bother if it's as wide as a 2xCR123A
    -2xAA slim carries nicely on the far side of the pocket

And any short 1x battery lights like 1xAA, 1xCR123 are all pieces of cake. My current light is a Quark Smart QS2L-X (2xCR123A slim, 0.86in diam) and it's totally fine in cargos, jeans, and skinny jeans. For really light basketball shorts or cotton shorts I grab a AAA twisty since it's lighter.

twin63 likes this.
  19. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Empty Pockets

For me, yes, a 1x18650 or 2xCR123A light is too big for pocket-carry. I EDC a 1x18650 light (Klarus XT2C) but it's either in its sheath on my belt or it's in my bag. My backup light (Nitecore EA11) is a 1x14500 and it rides in my bag. My pocket-light for the most part is the built-in torchlight on my phone.

20. FK
    • +1 Supporter

FK Loaded Pockets

I gave up on pocket carry for CR123 or 18650 lights.

Nylon belt pouch is my choice.
    A Paul Kim single CR123 in Victorinox knife pouch for days.
    Evenings/night a 18650 or 16650 in old Surefire nylon pouch.

In addition, a AAA Paul Kim is bright and well made for dress carry to the office.

Regards,
    FK