1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

#1 reason I don't carry Leatherman anymore

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Evil D, Dec 27, 2015.

1. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

This is one of the reasons why I returned my Tread.

shmook and Cheeser like this.
  2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

So the Spirit did the job that the Wave couldn't, but you said a Supertool 300 would have been able to do it (would a Rebar have worked?). It sounds to me that the problem is not with Leatherman, but that you had the wrong one in your pocket.

We know that a multi-tool will never replace a full toolbox, but it is the best substitute that will fit in a pocket. It is also the next evolution (though not everyone has caught up yet) of the (previously) wonderful SAK.

So if you prefer Vic multi-tools to Leatherman (even if you had a good reason to do so), there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone seems to agree that Vic's multi-tools are very high quality. It's great that we live in a world with so many options available to us.

And the title of this thread should probably be, "Wrong Leatherman For This Job," or "I Should Have Bought A Supertool (Also)," or "Multiple Multi-Tools Save The Day!" or "Long Enough Shaft Makes It In There," or something about the Spirit with the Cross having a long enough shaft to get the job done, or "The Spirit Sticks It In Deeper Than The Wave."

CausticCrow and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, I was referring to Leatherman's bit drivers...but yeah a 300 would have worked, if I really wanted to carry a brick on my belt LOL. The 300 does have some of, if not the best screwdriver tools in the business, but the thing weighs almost twice as much as the Spirit, and it lacks scissors which are a must for me. If they'd pack that same tool assortment in something the size and weight of a Wave, and give it scissors instead of a serrated knife blade, well this thread probably wouldn't exist.

Guys make no mistake, I didn't become a Leatherman hater overnight. It came from outright frustration due to their changes in tool layout and design. I was a Leatherman customer back when nobody knew what a Leatherman was and I don't even think the term "multi tool" existed yet. And, I was a diehard customer up until those bit drivers came to be. At first they seemed awesome, and I can appreciate the trade off of having a dozen bits at your disposal vs. having the reach to get into recessed screws. It just seems like every time I need to get at a screw, it's recessed.

In a perfect world, I would just customize a Leatherman to have both the bit driver and a standard phillips driver. There are other tools I just use as often like a can opener and bottle opener that I would gladly trade for a bit driver.

4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I want the bit extender for my wave, that would make a great tool awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theirishboxer likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I install TVs and have to get at recessed screws like that every day but this particular gripe really has nothing to do with that except in your exact situation and to hate Leatherman for it is just silly?

I carry Vic because I kept breaking the Leatherman tools and got tired of it. I also prefer what I perceive the higher overall fit and finish quality of the Vic overall but make no intake,I prefer the Leatherman Bit set and capabilities that enhance and expand my use of the Vic tools and so I carry a Hybrid set of Vic Tool and Leatherman accessories that work together to give me more use.

The fact that I prefer to be more prepared than either tool could be on its own says nothing bad about either tool in my daily use.
    The Leatherman can also handle most of my daily needs and I would still always carry the bit extender and extra bits as I need these every day too.

I think after reading you reasoning that it is your reasoning alone and given my daily repeated use of these tools all the time this is a pretty limited and hardly universal observation to me and though I do not prefer a Leatherman with bit holder overall I could not decide to carry one or not over something like this,just me.

But to each his own.

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a tool bag (old laptop bag repurposed) when I did a lot more work with computer and network hardware. Among the tools I needed were needle-nosed pliers. I started carrying the original Leatherman PST as a replacement for the needle-nose pliers. I rarely used the other tools except for the very small screwdriver bit, and the blade was handy for cutting packing tape on computer boxes.

I don't do much with hardware any more but I still keep a Leatherman tool in my bag. Currently that's the LM Juice S2. I haven't used it for anything at all in a couple of years, but it's still handy for the pliers, just in case. For a pocket tool, I got the LM Squirt P4. It has come in handy a few times for those times when you weren't expecting to need a tool at all, and didn't want to walk several hundred feet to your desk or out to the car.

I don't have experience with any other brand so I can't really compare. Usually when I need a screwdriver, I have an actual screwdriver nearby.

theirishboxer and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's true that the Wave has the shallowest screwdriver of all my multi-tools:

(Left to right, Wave, PST, Victorinox Explorer, Rebar, Sidekick, Vic Spirit)
    [​IMG]

The PST, Explorer and Rebar drivers are all close to the same length, the Sidekick and Spirit are slightly longer.
    The 'shoulder' of the driver and the body of the tool also limit how deep they will go. Click in the bit extender
    on the Wave however:

[​IMG]

If you just want a Phillips head driver any one of the other multi's would serve better, but the Wave shines
    because you can swap out the bits.

8. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

That is the one! My LM bit extender fits perfectly in it, and the whole kit itself is very compact, thin, and lightweight.

ManVsLawn and FL Woods Bum like this.
  9. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I understand what you are saying now, but I still think that it boils down to the task at hand, and what tool(s) you choose to carry on you, or use for the job. You happened to be carrying your Spirit at the time, and it was able to accomplish the job. If you had been carrying your LM, the screwdriver would have been too shallow to work with a recessed screw, and therefore would not have accomplished the job.

I carry my LM in a sheath with the bit extender and extra LM bits. I can wear it on my belt if I want, and the difference in size and weight with the extender and extra bits is minimal. If I came across that same task, my Wave's screwdriver would have also been too shallow to work, however, I could have just popped in the bit extender and still finished the job. It all has to do with the job itself, and what you have to work with at the time.

FeeSimpleAbsolute likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I may look into the bit extender thing. If it doesn't add considerable bulk or weight then it may be worth having the extra assortment of bits. I don't find myself needing anything more than phillips or flat head screwdrivers very often, but then that's the point of being prepared. Still, they would have to also have the other assortment of tools that I like, and for whatever reason they seem to always wanna give you an extra knife blade instead of scissors.

If the Rebar came with scissors instead of the serrated blade, I'd be all over it. I gotta say though, the pry bar on the Spirit has come in handy more than I ever would have expected.

11. JUGRNOT

JUGRNOT Loaded Pockets

A multi tool is a must on your person it may not be exactly what you need at times but for me its has helped me every time i take it out. it is invaluable when needed and a LM wave doesn't weigh too much i mean when you compare it to a surge. I feel odd when i forget it which is very rare. i mean thats the whole point right to have on you so you dont have to go to your car or inside your house if that were the case for everything then why have a EDC anything when you can go to your house or car to get an item you need. I have my wave, ZT, fenix e05 with extra batteries, handkerchief, memo pad, space pen, mini bic, eye drops, chapstick, g shock, swiss army, hand cuff key, flashdrive titanium whislte and bandaids on me at all times. in a tight pinch i got something for you.

earthman likes this.
  12. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I popped the bit extender into the little side sheath on the Leatherman nylon pouch, and it seems to hold it just fine. No extra bulk, and it doesn't seem to weigh a lot to me. Certainly not compared to the Wave itself, which is the heaviest thing I carry (when I carry it on me). So it seems to carry okay.

I would love a bigger pair of scissors on the Wave instead of the serrated knife. That really would be more useful for me.

13. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

I belt carry a wave with the bit extender and both "bit cards" on a daily basis, i also have a small prybar tucked into the sheath and a small led torch on the outside bungie. A lot of bolts / screws i come across are phillips, hex or security torx, so i need to carry the extra bits. This is ether carried in the standard nylon LM sheath or a skinth (depends on my mood / what i'm doing that day).

For reference the bit extender weighs a whopping 24g.

Hope that's of use.

I also carry "proper" tools in my work bag, but the wave very often saves me from a long walk to go get the proper tool, hence it still gets carried.

Oh and i'd happily loose / swap a few tools in the wave to make it perfect for my needs.

ManVsLawn and FeeSimpleAbsolute like this.
  14. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

This is actually why I tracked down a old style wave, and it saved me during Christmas. To me it is more useful than the new model with bit holder

It's not failure if you learn something from it

ManVsLawn and FL Woods Bum like this.
  15. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

#1 reason I do not carry a multi on my person is the weight. Plus half the time I do not wear a belt and am not a fan of pocket bricks. Plus I rarely need a tool when I am not near my other selections of tools.

Day Tripper and ManVsLawn like this.
  16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The multitool is master of one: being a compromise between "real" tools and not having anything all; often gravitating towards the latter because of poor design (the example in the 1st post).

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

You can use a Leatherman bit set with a Spirit. I do regularly and carry one of the bit sets in a skinth with the Spirit.

http://edcforums.com/threads/spirit-plus-leatherman-bits.122088/

thePlumbah and Evil D like this.
  18. Multi-tool-fool

Multi-tool-fool Empty Pockets

I hate my LM because it sucks at dropping the transmission on my automobile. Just kidding, I love my LM, Gerber, SOG, etc...I'm certain most of us understand the limitations that MTs have as compared to dedicated hand tools. Just because the MT doesn't do what you need it to do doesn't mean there is something wrong with that MT. It just means the MT is not the MT for you. Glad that you did find one that works for your needs.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  19. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I went from a first gen Wave to a Vix Spirit... haven't looked back... A lot better engineered and better fit and finish.

0dBm and earthman like this.
  20. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

I haven't found any SAK alternative that has one hand opening blade apart from Wenger Euli Steck which I have and Victorinox Swiss Soldier. For some reason I dont like knives I cant open with one hand.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

MedusaOblongata likes this.