1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1 out of 2, which one would you pick?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by misbehave, Oct 19, 2010.

1. misbehave

misbehave Empty Pockets

I am deciding which to buy between a Tool-Logic SL-Plier (about $30) and the famous Leatherman Wave (about $60 from Costco with a tiny flashlight as a bonus). Which one would you pick and why?

The SL-Plier
    http://www.toollogic.com/images/Main-Pic-SLPLY.jpg

The Wave (guess I don't really need to post pic for this one)
    http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/large-leatherman-wave-monarch-300.jpg

FYI, I am currently carrying one 3" folding blade, one Victorinox SwissChamp, one Inova X1(1st version), one micro fire-starter, and one Coast C5799 LED Pliers everyday.
    What I want to do is trying to find one multi-tool that can eliminate the needs of carrying both the Coast Pliers and the 3" folding blade. So I want to look for a multi-tool that has a good pliers and a decent size folding blade.

2. mefelan

mefelan Empty Pockets

I kind if wish the Skeletool was bigger. Then it would have a real knife AND a real pliers to go along with the bit driver. I have a Wave but I upgraded to the Charge TTi for no particular reason. I like them both. The blades are kind of small but the fact that there are two, along with a saw and a file, more than make up for it. With those options, instead of having a big knife that can handle most anything, you actually have the RIGHT tool.

In this case, I'd go for the Wave. The Charge TTi has nicer blades, though. Better steel and a cutting hook on the serrated blade might make it worth the extra cash.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'd go for the Wave. Not a fan of Tool-Logic.

Also, why not the Skeletool or the Freestyle?

I like my Skeletool a lot.

4. tems908

tems908 Loaded Pockets

You can't go wrong with a wave, well worth the cost.

5. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Almost any Leatherman tool over the other one... Skeletool being closest probably. I'm a big fan of the Charge so that would be my choice!

6. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

7. misbehave

misbehave Empty Pockets

I thought about the Freestyle too but its blade is smaller/shorter than the blades in the Wave.

8. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

Wave, baby! Been carrying mine (gen 1 Wave) forever, swear by it (not at it *LOL*).

9. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Not even a tough question. If you can afford the Wave, get it (or the Skeletool or Charge as others have said).

10. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I would go with the Leatherman Wave.

At 4 inches in length and weighing only 8.5 ounces it is no wonder why the Leatherman Wave Multi-Tool is one of the most popular Leathermans' available. This multi-tool is full of functionality in a great sized tool. I especially like that all of the tools function as designed. With some other models of multi-tools this is not always the case. The Wave Multi-tool should not let you down and is a required asset to everyone's kit.

The Leatherman Wave Multi-Tool includes needle nose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, hard wire cutters, clip point knife, serrated knife, saw, scissors, wood/metal file, diamond-coated file, large bit driver, small bit driver, 2 double end bits, large screwdriver, ruler, bottle/can opener, wire stripper, and lanyard attachment.

The pliers work great and are easy to grip and use. The knife and saw blades lock preventing them from closing on your fingers which is a great safety benefit. The blades are accessible from the outside of the tool which is very convenient. The saw is sharp and cuts surprisingly well for its size. Do not underestimate the saw. I have found that the screw drivers work well and are versatile. The wood and metal file work as designed and are functional.

Overall, this is a great multi-tool that you should not be without. There are a lot of choices in the world of multi-tools by Leatherman and many other companies. If you don't have time to do the extensive research and need to pull the trigger on buying one of these then decide on the Wave model by Leatherman. You won't be disappointed.

11. Death and Taxes

Death and Taxes Empty Pockets

I would get the Leatherman. IMHO the price differential is justified given the quality, versatility, and just plain coolness of the Wave.

12. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

The first one looks descent as a knife, but the pliers part just doesn't work for me. Spring loaded pliers on a hard use multitool? Wouldn’t trust them. And only other tools are a Phillips and a flathead screwdriver.

The Wave however is a classic, a great "all-round player" with not one but two great blades (as opposed to the hated combo edge on the toollogic) and a great selection of other tools. Not to forget the excellent warranty/ one of the best in the world.

The Monarch 300 flashlight is a nice bonus, goes for around $18 on the internet stores. A single mode clicky with a 16 lm output. Here is a review of it on the multitool.org REVIEW LINK

13. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

out of the two you have listed, I'd probably go with the wave, just because of the tool logic knife being combo edge.

14. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

15. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

The wave, have mine for close to 15 years with no issues. I have even used it to hammer a nail or two in a pinch.

16. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

The wave is as close to the perfect MT as you are going to find. There is a reason it has continued to be produced as long as it has. They could charge double for it and it would still easily be worth it. I have a like new extra I am going to sell if you are interested send me a PM.

17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'm so fond of the Wave that I carry two, a pre-2004 model in my laptop bag (where I already have a bunch of screwdrivers and am not likely to need the larger knife blades) and a post-2004 model in my BOB (with the bit kit for maximum utility). Hands down the best multitool I've ever used.

18. erikb02809

erikb02809 Loaded Pockets

Quoted for truth.
    That said, I carry a Charge Tti, because I got one at a crazy low price, but heck, it's pretty darn similar. GET THE WAVE!!!

19. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

As so many others have said, I recommend the Wave. I've used one a little, but I don't own one (yet, its next on my to-purchase list), and I really liked it.
    As far as the toollogic one goes, that model has what. a knife and pliers/wirecutter combo?
    While it is more expensive, the Leatherman Skeletool (http://www.leatherman.com/product/Skeletool) has a knife, pilers/wirecutter combo, bit driver, carabiner/bottle opener, and extra storage for the bit driver. AND Leatherman's absolutely amazing 25-year warranty, so if anything ever breaks or stops working, you just send it in, and you'll get it back like new!

20. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Ditto on the Wave ... get the bit set, too. You'll use'em all.