1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1 month traditional challenge

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thisguy93, Jun 13, 2017.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Some neat traditionals being shared her, and posted about. About the only thing I can see the one-handed opening, clip-it, lockblades being superior for is "emergency" use. Specifically, in those rare situations when you might have need for a quick one handed grab, and opening knife, say to cut yourself out of a seat belt, or if you've become entangled in something that poses a risk to your health if not remedied quickly, and possibly from a less than optimal position. Otherwise, I think the traditional slipjoint of various patterns is up to (and equal to the more "modern" knives) the task of most anything a person might need a knife for (and they have a lot more "character" imo).

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I keep a hultafors in the glove box just for that. I also get a seatbelt cutter and attach the sheath to the underside of the steering column.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

For real world emergency use, the one hand wonders do not have that much an edge.

In January of 1991, very early on a freezing cold Saturday morning, I witnessed a car wreck right in front of me. An old Datsun B210 passed us at a high rate of speed and went into a sharp left hand curve where the road went under a highway. Some moisture had dripped down onto the road and iced over, and the Datsun hit thrice, spun out, and then rolled a few times coming to rest against the guard rail sitting on what used to the car's roof. Parking our car on the shoulder and running up to the wreck, We could hear a baby crying and a woman yelling. Smoke was already filling the car from the fire that started when the battery was tossed against the greasy engine block.. Thick black smoke made visibility inside the car hard. I had to crawl into the car and get the infant out of the upside down car seat, and then the try to get the driver out. The driver, a very heavyset woman was thrashing around and screaming for me to get here out, but the seat belt was jammed tight with all her weight on it. I pulled out my knife, a Buck stockman, and used the sheepfoot blade to cut the seat belt and drop her on her head. I had sued the sheep foot blade because with her thrashing around upside down, I didn't know which way she was going to drop, and I didn't want a pointy blade out. By the time I crawled out of the smoky wreck, I was coughing on the smoke. Blew my nose and it came out black.

Anyways, the seat belt cut right through with a decently sharp knife. I could have used a Victorinox classic if it was sharp. Contrary to popular belief put out by a certain knife company, you don't need a unhand knife or serrated blade to cut a seat belt. Any decently sharp pocket knife will do it.

4. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I hope to never come across this situation, but if i did i wouldnt feel safe with a blade that had more point than a pen knife. People panic and that makes for a very unpredictable situation. It has come to be in some of those that the victim ends up severly hurting the rescuer because they didnt listen to instruction. I firmly believe everyone should carry a seatbelt cutter attached to the underside like i mentioned earlier, or the side of the seat. And learn its exact location until its muscle memory. Training saves lives. Fact.

Moshe ben David and dmattaponi like this.
  5. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Had our celebrations today and this little guy cut up all the onions and pickles for the potato salad. This thing just refuses to dull. Cut cardboard with it today at work and just slid right through the vegetation! 20 clams well spent![​IMG]

Moshe ben David and Ethos like this.
  6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Maybe. I love traditionals, but usually carry a Spyderco. There was a "thank you" story to Sal years ago that got published. The guy worked in a factory and during normal duties one of his sleeves got caught in the machine and it threatened to pull him in. He reached down with his free hand and pulled out-I belive it was a Delica- and cut himself free. He said it surely saved his life. Couldn't have done that with a traditional.

I also don't see being in a situation where someone is on me and I have to use one hand to fight them off and say, "excuse me while I use both hands to open my traditional folder.

I do carry two folders sometimes and when my new pocket slip comes in it will be all of the time. I would rather use my traditional folders for general and everyday cutting tasks and save my one hand folders for other 'scenarios' that may arise which require just that kind of very sharp knife.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

8. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Of all the excuses for a onehand knife that I hear parroted on the internet, this is the most ridiculous one heading the list. The "If someone is on me..." excuse.

So, if you're fending off someone who is one you, and you are in over your head, you will take one hand out of the fight to go grope for a knife, then try to thumb it open while the other guy is pounding you??? Really???

How about using the weapons God gave you, like elbows, thumbs, knees, teeth, forehead and so on? Learn to fight. Go take some krav maga classes and get trained. If you have a hand free to reach for a knife, then you have a thumb free to put right through the guys eyeball. I guarantee that's a fight stopper right there. If you have a hand free to reach for a knife, how bout a fist right up in the family jewels and turn his cajones into peanut butter? Or, if you have a hand free to reach for a knife, then how about grabbing his throat so he can't get away while you ram your forehead into his nose and smash it so it's about three inches wide. Or just grab his throat and crush his trachea while your at it?

So many young guys these days are taking a punk attitude of having your knife as a talisman of some sort instead of just learning to really defend yourself. You'll get way faster reaction by gouging an eye ball out than trying to fish out some folding knife and stabbing the guy repeatedly which will make you the bad guy if the other guy is unarmed. Stab an unarmed man and explain that to a jury. Easier to just hurt him so he's no threat to you. You'd be way better off just shooting him than using a knife. Joe Average American on the jury does not like knives, but even a gun is more socially acceptable these days. Easier to just learn to fight, or smack him with something like a beer pitcher, bar stool, pool stick, beer bottle, mop handle, fire extinguisher, trash can, jack handle, crescent wrench, dinner plate or such. if push comes to shove, a tool of opportunity looks way better in court than a knife that you stabbed the guy with a half dozen times. And you will have to repeatedly stab because a knife has zero stopping effect unless you kill him right off.

Besides, pull a knife and stab the guy, maybe his friend will then pull a gun and shoot you and it gets called a justifiable shooting. You'll be dead and unable to argue your side of it. That's actually happened.

Pulling a knife in a fight is a punks move.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I agree. I carry a 1 1/4 inch wrench in my driver's door for this reason. Same effect but a much more explainable weapon. Besides, it's got a ton more reach

10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Well apparently you are the master of all scenarios and can plan a fight before it happens, that's awesome. :rolleyes:

First of all, I'm not a young guy anymore, and I have medical issues. Sure I know how to fight and do so for keeps. I never said "let me use a knife to stab some defenseless person." Btw, someone doesn't have to have a weapon for you to be justified using one on them, you need to sincerely be in fear for your life and that can come from them having a weapon, their size, state of mind (drug rage), or another significant advantage over you and are trying to take your life.

If someone is on me and trying to KILL me, and whatever I do isn't working to save my life, I'm grabbing whatever tool is at my disposal. Parroting "ninja skills will always save you" in every situation can get a lot of people killed.

A.B. likes this.
  11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

tde, A.B., Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  12. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with stayglow! Beautiful

It's not failure if you learn something from it

13. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

If you want a pocket knife that can slice like none other, you want a traditional. Seriously, all of my SAKs and traditional outperform all my larger knives quite notably. They outperform my Sebenza, my SnG, my Para2, etc... Things just slice and slice and slice and generally have smooth lines for comfort. Seems like more modern knives like to compromise slicing for durability. Not that it's wrong, but for everyday use a traditional is a great choice.

Ethos, Mumbojumboo and Thisguy93 like this.
  14. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

But then again, you might be wrong;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. kpstumpf

kpstumpf Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Thanks for the reminder on the canoe. Been wanting one for awhile now.

Thisguy93 likes this.
  16. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I probably would have gone with those scales but I'm digging the fauxbone now

kpstumpf likes this.
  17. kpstumpf

kpstumpf Loaded Pockets

For $18 delivered, I went with the cheapest I saw on Amazon. Now off to make a leather sheath.

Thisguy93 likes this.
  18. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I look forward to seeing your design so i can make one as well

19. kpstumpf

kpstumpf Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I made this sheath for a sod buster awhile back. The canoe fits perfect. Got the design off YouTube.

Moshe ben David and Wo0ki3 like this.
  20. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

That's fantastic! How did you mold it?