1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

1 month traditional challenge

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thisguy93, Jun 13, 2017.

1. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Some traditional style knives that provide locks, even a couple that are one-hand openers:

Case Russlock - One hand opening, liner lock, plus backspring. Not murdery or tactical looking. This particular one is REALLY sharp at the moment.

[​IMG]

Not that big really:
    [​IMG]

Case Trapperlock - One hand opening, liner lock, no backspring so it is very easy to open. Even has a nice nickel silver pocket clip on the back. Same size as the regular trapper.
    [​IMG]

Case Copperlock - Full size, next to a Case Peanut for size comparison. They also make a smaller Mini Copperlock.
    [​IMG]

Mark_Trail likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

As just one example, there are always the Spyderco Ladybugs. Small; you can open one handed; lock with a back lock. Several different grinds available; several different steels. When I say small I mean they easily travel in the coin pocket of jeans.

This is only an example.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gogogordy likes this.
  3. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

I grew up with SAKs as the pretty much only pocket knife I knew. Over the years I went to cheap(like, really cheap), "tactical" S&W or Walther knives that I beat on until they broke. Nowadays I kinda despise both. It just a few years ago came to my attention that old style traditional knives are a thing and I started collecting them about a year ago(mostly GEC). But the traditionals are for me more of a spare time knife where I don't usually do a lot of cutting. At work I stay with modern "super steels" since I need to do really clean looking precise cuts. I just can't get the 1095 used in many traditionals to that level of performance even though I have often heard and also read(in metallurgy books) that the traditional C-Steels can do magical stuff. Plus I also don't see myself scrouching around in my pocket with gloves on searching for my knife only to drop it back in 3seconds later and search it again another 3s in. That's another point going towards the modern stuff that I can easily grab and open in a second or so no matter gloves or barehanded.
    But I'm more than confident that once I'm back in a more office setting this summer the traditionals will be more than enough and from a collecting POV they also just scratch a really different itch

Great thread, keep it going :D

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

sungame likes this.
  4. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

For me, Im more of a traditional/slipjoint guy, who occasionally "forces" himself to try prove that a mid or modern tech knife is really what I should EDC (of course I have a "few" of those to pick from)

I always end up back at the beginning. Traditionals. Slipjoints. Of which by virtue of the fact that I have more than a few, proves to me the fact that Im an old schooler knifewise.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying traditional pocket knives for 50+ years, mostly Schades & Case. A few have locking blades but none are one hand opening and none have pocket clips. I survive quite nicely. During my early years as a working cop I carried a Buck 112 on my duty belt because Occasionally I needed a knife and honestly my pants pocket were pretty much inaccessible (Western pockets) with a Sam Browne belt on. In the late 80's when Spyderco first came out with the Workman I bought one. I bought it mainly for the pocket clip which was, I admit, quite handy. I did get caught up in the OHO knife craze and had a 8-9 that I carried. When I became a detective, I carried either a Peanut or Medium Stockman in my pocket and for awhile a OHO until it hit me one day that I carried it but never ever actually used it. Everytime I reached for a knife, it was the traditional in my right front pocket. So since the early 2000's my OHO knives ride in a box in my closet. I've given away a few and still have 5 in the box collecting dust. Case & Schrade (USA) traditional and SAKs do everything I need a knife to do.

6. Moshe ben David

I sometimes carry my larger traditionals/slipjoints/SAK either in a belt sheath or (especially the SAK) using a dangler like a P7 in the pocket. Won't solve the problem of opening them with gloves on but totally takes care of the issue of digging them out.

With regard to opening, Victorinox do have a few larger styles that are designed with a hole (like Spyderco) for one hand opening. I think these were designed for backpackers, campers, etc.; in true Victorinox style several have a variety of blades/tools. Here is an example:

[​IMG]

pic from Amazon (of course!).
    Victorinox One-Hand Trekker

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

nmpops, SV-97 and Thisguy93 like this.
  7. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I've looked into those several times myself. Just always got distracted by another blade and forgot about it lol. I did love my camper model though. That thing was really tough.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

8. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I have a P7 but that just isn't for me
    The one hand opening Vics would be an solution but I don't like the looks of them(SAKs in general but the one-hand ones are even worse)
    If I had to get an SAK I'd opt for a G Sakai with ZDP and a slightly more wharncliffy blade :D

9. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Got my first (and so far only) traditional a week ago, a Case 10375 with g10 covers. I've carried it a couple times and really like the "handiness" of it. I didn't think I would have much use for the smaller spey or sheepsfoot, but I find I use them rather than the large clip point. I was thinking about getting or making a slip for it, but I figure it will outlast me, so I just throw it in my pocket.

Don't know if I could go a whole month just carrying it, but I just may have to give that a try. However, it will be hard, as I also just got a mini griptilian.:rolleyes:

ps, I don't see an attachment setting, but the knife is what my avatar is.

#29 colin.p, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Thisguy93 likes this.
  10. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

If i can do it, you can do it!

colin.p likes this.
  11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I could do this with a Spyderco UKPK but there's no way I could live without a pocket clip again. Absolutely not. I have a Peasant and a Higo that are both slip joints and I can use them just fine but I don't EDC them because they have no clipping options. I would need a belt sheath or pocket sheath or something more than just loose in my pocket.

12. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I've got two Case 6375's one a Blue American Workman and an Amber Bone CV. Great knives though a bit large for pocket carry. When I carry mine I use a pouch that dangles in my pocket. Works great. I also often use a P-7 for my SAKs.

colin.p and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

A simple slip case is actually pretty useful for traditionals. It really helps reduce the pocket line that otherwise can get trapped in the knife. I usually use a small slip case intended for a pen; if you check Amazon you'll find quite a number of slip cases available in leather. Somewhere a while back someone on EDCF also made mention of repurposing the fingers off of an old leather glove to use as slip cases for knives.

Have fun with the stockman pattern. As you're already finding, those spey and sheepsfoot blades are actually quite useful. At some point you may want to acquire a 'peanut' -- quite small but you'd be surprised at how useful. At the other end of the size range 'trapper' knives, which generally have only two blades (clip and spey) are also pretty useful.

As you browse catalogs for Case and a few of the others, be aware that the myriad of scales etc can be quite enticing. Unlike the 'tactical' world, one of the things about the traditional world is the emphasis on appearance as much as on utility....

And you thought we are all enablers for 'normal' gear. Ha! Traditional stuff is in a league of its own!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gogogordy, colin.p and Thisguy93 like this.
  14. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I have many times drooled over a trapper and a stockman in amber jigged bone with cv blades....

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

most of the time (99% maybe?) I would be fine with old school. but for that 1% when you need one hand opening in a locking blade and you need it now, the modern stuff wins. I've had to cut ropes while hanging from other ropes, fend off dogs, etc. Now that I carry an OTF I really love how easy it is to get a real sized blade, use it, and make it safe quick.

aicolainen and colin.p like this.
  16. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I must admit that I was hoping for some more pics och this challenge.. *hint* *hint*

It's not failure if you learn something from it

17. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Mister, I'll make an effort to do that just for you. I never even think about pics honestly. I'll see if i can't make a few happen

kottskrapa likes this.
  18. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Pics are always fun :)

It's not failure if you learn something from it

19. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

Though I don't participate in the challenge:
    [​IMG]
    If I had to carry one traditional for a month it would be the GEC Improved Trapper
    Two blades so you can keep one clean for food etc. and one for work(at least that's the way I roll ;) ) the ergonomics are good as it hardly has any edges. And also it's just beautiful :D

sungame and Jackhawk9000 like this.
  20. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

That's just definitely to big for my pocket and i already wear two fixed blades