1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

“Kombat UK 28 Litre Molle Assault Pack” a review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by phaserrifle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

Manufacturer's specs:
    body material: 1000d waterproofed cordura
    capacity: 28 liters
    RRP: £29.95
    Price I paid: £26.00

A note on modifications
    I have made a few changes to this bag from it's stock version. As can be seen, I have changed the zipper pulls to green para cord, from their original black cord with plastic cord ends, and I have added some para-cord to the grab loop.
    I have also sewn some loop-side Velcro to the inside of the waist strap. This was to allow me to anchor some non-modular belt pouches I wanted to fit there.

External features

on top of the bag is a decent sized grab loop. Big enough to be fairly easy to find, and comfortable to grab. I wouldn't suggest it as a long term carrying method, but for most stuff it's just fine.
    the front and sides of the bag are mostly covered in MOLLE type webbing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where we find the major problem with the bag. whoever designed the bag, failed to take the basic precaution of finding out how molle webbing should be spaced. each row is too close to the next, and so the whole thing doesn't really work.
    I've had sucess fitting a molle pouch to the bag, but I suspect that this was due to the pouch having a non-standard back design, with fewer than normal rows of loops for the securing straps to be run back through. the practical upshot of all this is that most molle compatable pouches will not fit the bag properly, and so the webbing is very limited.

Running along each side of the bag are two compression straps. These allow the bag to be cinched down, and of course, can also be used to strap something to the side of the bag. There are also two cinch straps on the base of the bag. Again, these come in very handy for something like light weight waterproof, or a small umbrella.
    [​IMG]

Straps and back pad
    The bag uses a basic strap system, with the standard pair of shoulder straps, and a removable waist strap. The shoulder straps are comfortably padded. Compared to some bags, the straps are comparatively thin, but since you can't really fit in very heavy loads, it's less of an issue.
    On each strap is a series of strap loops formed by a run of strapping along each pad. This forms a handy place to run things like hydration tubes, attach carabiners etc. they also provide a single plastic D-ring on each strap, which provides extra mounting options for clips, cord and simmilar.
    The waist strap is attached using a tri-glide at each end. This means that you can remove the waist strap if you don't need it. Unfortunately, it isn't the most secure method, even if you double the strap back through the tri-glide, it tends to slowly work itself loose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The back panel is also padded. Just enough to stop anything digging in. and keep things comfortable. At the top of this runs a Velcro closed opening, accessing a slip pocket running between the padding and the back of the main compartment. The official purpose of this is to hold a hydration bladder, and it will happily accept up to a 2 Litre version, although beware that it may bulge a bit. The tube can then be run through the gap in the Velcro on either side of the pocket, and clipped or run through the loops on either rucksack strap.
    [​IMG]

Main compartment
    The main compartment is accessed by a zip which runs around the top and all the way down the sides of the bag. This allows it to be opened like a book, with the spine at the base of the bag. The advantage of this is that you can choose how large the opening needs to be. Inside the main compartment is small zipped pocket on the rear, and a larger mesh open topped pocket on the front. These are handy for slipping flat items like paperwork, business cards and similar.
    Size wise, I find this area is perfect for things like A4 sized books, paperwork and similar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Central compartment
    in the middle of the bag, between the main compartment and the front compartments, is the second largest compartment of the bag. This is still quite large, capable of fitting plenty of gear. Again it has several smaller organisation pockets.
    [​IMG]

Front pockets
    there are two front pockets. The upper pocket is a smaller pocket, which is perfectly sized, height and width wise, for a smart phone, although is capable of fitting items much thicker. The lower pocket contains a larger slip pocket, perfect for things like notebooks, and a number of pen slots. The pen slots are fairly wide, and so can happily accept most pens, and also other similar tools, such as screwdrivers. The pocket can also happily fit other equipment, up to a the size of a moderately thick paperback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Build quality
    When I bought this bag, I knew I was taking a risk. Kombat are a company selling cheap nylon gear, mainly to the UK air-soft, paint ball, army cadet and security market. Their quality is known to be a bit hit and miss, and certainly isn't considered to be up to much by serious users.
    That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this bag so far. Apart from one zipper pull coming loose, due to the end of the cord popping out from it's original cord end, I've had nothing fall apart, and can't find any loose threads, obviously dodgy stitching or similar. The material seems like it should hold up well, although I doubt it is genuine cordura, the zips seem suitably chunky and solid, and there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't give me at least a couple of years comfortable use.

Conclusion
    If the bag was done properly, with molle loops that are actually spaced right, and maybe better tri-glides on the waist strap, to keep it better attached, the whole thing could be a nice little bag. however, as it stands at the moment, you would be better off looking elsewhere.

2. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

Uhm...yeah, that PALS webbing spacing is total clown shoes.

3. phaserrifle

thought it was. I'll re-edit the conclusion to reflect that.

4. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Loaded Pockets

Looks like a Maxped. Falcon 2 clone (same as Condor/Voodoo)

5. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Rush12 clone

6. phaserrifle

rush 12 looks wider and has a different pocket layout. I can defineately see a very strong the resembelance with the falcon 2. it's just missing the top compression strap.

7. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

I just looked at this again and what boggles my mind, besides the fact that these chumps can't come up with an original idea, and are only capable of ripping off others, is that they can't even get the simple concept of PALS webbing right. 1" webbing with 1" in between. How hard is that? If you have the capacity to sew something, you have the capacity to sew it right.

Y.Tribe likes this.
  8. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Loaded Pockets

That's the difference between a $120 bag an a $30 bag....

9. Y.Tribe

Y.Tribe Loaded Pockets

Glad I found this :) I was thinking of buying one. I've bought KombatUK before and always found their stuff to be really good.

I don't tend to use MOLLE at all so its not so much of a big deal for me.

10. phaserrifle

I'd forgotten about this review.

I should add that I've recently managed to snap the waist strap buckle. I had it done up firmly around my waist, and then snapped it using nothing more than my abdomen tensing in surprise as I tripped over.
    to be fair, it's still useable, but I've long since retired this as an EDC bag.