1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Your survival knife.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tattooguy89, Nov 26, 2011.

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife). Duh.
    ChrisJ, sungame and dcmassena like this.

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Being your retired LEO I would bet you can figure out something:D
    Roy

paustin Loaded Pockets

Becker BK2, pretty much a sharpened pry bar. It is a full quarter inch thick piece of 1095 CroVan, full tang construction.

fmf1854 Loaded Pockets

Sog Seal Pup Elite
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

If I could crawl to my car I have additional resources there (including a bigger knife), but still not really a "survival knife" as per the original topic from 2011.

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Tim and Doug will get me through most situations.
    [IMG]
    sungame likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Whatever you have on you at the time you need it.

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

My only "big knife" is a Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival knife (donning flame suit now). It's a lot of knife for the money, and I would supplement it with my SAK for finer work. Someday when I have more spending cash, I'd like to get a Bark River Gunny or Bravo 1, but until then, Bear will do.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

If I had to grab just one knife, the Bark River Bravo 1.5 would be it. But if I had a little room in the pack, I'd toss in something smaller, like my Schrade/Craftsman 4" stockman for small stuff.
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

If I knew I was going to be in a "survival situation" I would bring my bark river gunny. It's super tough and holds a good edge. Of course if I knew it was coming, I'd bring a number of other things as well.
    defuse kit likes this.

Zargon Loaded Pockets

If I had to chose only one of my knives I would pick my custom fixed blade
    billybag likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fällkniven A1
    • +2 Supporter

sungame Loaded Pockets

@plumberroy: You're definitely on to something. A survival situation is not a planned or scheduled event. That is why I try to always carry at least one knife on person in addition to whatever I keep in my pack, bag, car or boat.

But even if you do not plan for the survival situation in and by itself, most of us have a general idea of which activities have a greater risk of leading to a survival situation. These activities can and should be planned for. For me, such activities include backcountry/cross country skiing, hiking and boating/sailing. I know that these things have a (rather small) risk of leading to potentially life threatening situations., Therefore, I try to be at least somewhat prepared for such a situation. That means always bringing a full sized plier based multi tool when I go boating, on the off chance that the engine stops, or the mast breaks and rigging wire has to be cut, or I have to make improvised fishing hooks. The same principle means I always take a large fixed blade when I go camping in the woods. I most likely won't need it. However, if my tent - or even part of it -is ruined or lost in really bad weather, if I have to build a shelter, split fire wood or make a raft, I would be really glad to have something bigger and sturdier than my folder or multitool.

To me, bringing a "survival knife" to these activities is a bit like bringing a first aid kit. I definitely do not plan to use it. I really hope I wont have to. Still, it makes sense to try to plan for the chance that I will.
    SurvivePenna likes this.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very well said !! :)
    • +2 Supporter

sungame Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Not very profound, not very original, but I still believe it's true:).
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

I think this part (below) is so extremely important...many, many lives could be spared each year if people were thinking like that.

I'm sorry...but I keep thinking about Les Stroud (Survivorman) fighting to stay alive in your country. Easily my favorite episode and with so much food for thought. My point is that the car he got stuck in had a fairly nice survival kit. The reason for that survival kit being in the vehicle is the same sensible thinking that you represent.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

To answer the question posed by the OP...I would be very happy to have my orange Mora Companion F with me in a survival situation. :) I would rather have a nice Ka-Bar Becker BK9 with me...but realisticly...I'm more likely to be found with a $12 Mora knife.

[IMG]
    billybag and sungame like this.
    • +2 Supporter

sungame Loaded Pockets

I think maybe I'll have to check out that episode...
    SurvivePenna likes this.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

To me, if you go off the beaten path the items you mention are just common sense to carry. A sturdy knife, first aid, Tarp wool blanket or good reflective blanket fire starter, I stainless steel mug snacks tea etc. are being prepared and never cross my mind as survival Items . My idea of survival is storms that turn out worse than forcast eathquakes floods etc things that catch you when carrying a day pack or big fixed blade on your belt isn't acceptable or pratical . If there are downed power lines or structural damage to buildings officials may not let you back into were your gear may be . A folding knife and the stuff that you edc may be all you get. Knowledge is the best survival tool Like the fact that most public places put 2-3-4 trash bags in the cans in public places so the can grab the full one and all ready have one ready to go . a big trash bag is shelter or at least a dry place to set .
    Knowing how to build a fire. How to be always aware of you surounding . And keeping your wits about you will go a long ways towards keeping you alive even with out any tools
    By the way my knife for off the beaten path is a Condor Rodan
    Roy
    billybag and SurvivePenna like this.